Rank 0

Traveler I

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Gibbon
Last Name
Hyper
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new crossover or midsize SUV to go on overland trips off the beaten track in the PNW, western Canada, and Alaska areas.

I previously used a Subaru Forester and that was fantastic for light off-roading. It unfortunately was terrible for it's crappy highway handling and a very weak engine that made going up mountains absolutely painful.

I live in downtown Seattle, so I can't justify a large SUV or truck for all of the obvious reasons (finding parking being the biggest). I also can't justify paying for 10mpg in city driving, not to mention wasteful emissions. I will also not be doing any rock crawling. I just want to make sure I don't get stuck in some muddy ditch in the middle of nowhere.

Right now I have narrowed it down to these cars, but also welcome other recommendations:

Used Porsche Cayenne
Used Lexus GX 460
Mazda CX-5

I have come across these cars getting lifts for better ground clearance in my research. And they should all have excellent AWD systems.

I can't be the only city dweller here, so I'd be interested to know what option you guys went with.

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I would not pick either of those for an overlander rig personally. I would get something like a cherokee (new model), or even a XJ if you want an older awesome do it all rig. The Compass and renegade are also viable options. If looking at the newer jeep stuff, trailhawk package is a must for some decent off road chops, not rock crawling but a bit better get out of trouble if you get in it. Accessories and modifications are easily obtained by using any jeep model really. The GX is bigger than you think. A beautiful rig, but I would not take that off road. The mazda is terrible off road since it has almost go cart like suspension on it. (If off road was taken out of the equation the MX is a huge blast to drive). The porsche? It's German, originally expensive, and exclusive. You will be in the garage more than on the road. Speaking from experience of course.

Reactions: hypergibbon

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
If you are looking at the Porsche buy a used 4 Runner, 2014 up are about the same price. They are within inches of being the same size and the 4 Runner will get off road without issue

Reactions: EXPO_D1

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Of these three, the Lexus.

Depending what you mean by "mid-size" you should consider a Fortuner, Outlander, Cherokee, or Rogue. as well.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Run away from the rouge. Cvt is hot garbage. 4 runner is another I forgot about.
Interesting view on the CVT - I don't have experience with the Rogue however my suggestion was based on having owned 2 X Trails, which have, I think, the same CVT transmission. I wouldn't suggest this for more "heavy duty" offroading, however I think that it could work well for OP's objectives. We drove our first X Trail on a lot of unsurfacaed roads/tracks, but not anything I would call "off road"; we drove the second X Trail (T31) 49,000 Km to Tierra del Fuego and back, mostly on surfaced roads, however about 15% of the distance was on unsurfaced roads, including "off road" driving, in rain forest, mud, rock, and sand.

Having said that I would go for the Fortuner or 4 Runner before any of the others.

KN6DXV

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Conroe, Montgomery County, Texas, United States
First Name
Allan
Last Name
Overby
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXV
Hi everyone,

I'm in the market for a new crossover or midsize SUV to go on overland trips off the beaten track in the PNW, western Canada, and Alaska areas.

I previously used a Subaru Forester and that was fantastic for light off-roading. It unfortunately was terrible for it's crappy highway handling and a very weak engine that made going up mountains absolutely painful.

I live in downtown Seattle, so I can't justify a large SUV or truck for all of the obvious reasons (finding parking being the biggest). I also can't justify paying for 10mpg in city driving, not to mention wasteful emissions. I will also not be doing any rock crawling. I just want to make sure I don't get stuck in some muddy ditch in the middle of nowhere.

Right now I have narrowed it down to these cars, but also welcome other recommendations:

Used Porsche Cayenne
Used Lexus GX 460
Mazda CX-5

I have come across these cars getting lifts for better ground clearance in my research. And they should all have excellent AWD systems.

I can't be the only city dweller here, so I'd be interested to know what option you guys went with.
your clearly missing an obvious pick. Subaru's they are all great vehicles. I have a base model forester and it awesome. just saying

Reactions: EXPO_D1

Dilldog

Rank V
Launch Member
Investor

Influencer I

Spokane, WA.
First Name
Dillon
Last Name
Wilke
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LVO/ WRQL275
Service Branch
USAF
I would probably go for the Mazda honestly. They have been winning a lot of awards for quality and Mazdas current engines have some very cool tech that makes them extremely efficient and powerful. On the Lexus, it will be a great rig but like any Toyota product its price is artificially inflated, the Toyota Tax is a real thing. For the Porche, look at the Toureg as well, they are the same rig, the VW just has more basic trim. Personally though I would steer clear of Euro cars, it's not hard to find good shops in Seattle but they will be more expensive to service and maintain.

Mid State Overland

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Little Falls, Minnesota
First Name
David
Last Name
Finch
Of the 3 you have listed go with the GX460 it will get you out and back. I was considering one before purchasing a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and to this day still may pick up a one to build a dedicated trail rig out of. That being said the Cherokee Trailhawk with a 3.2 V6 is one you should also look at, has rear locker, low range, hill descent, low speed cruise, tow rating of 4500#IMG_0583.JPG

hypergibbon

Rank 0

Traveler I

Seattle, WA, USA
First Name
Gibbon
Last Name
Hyper
your clearly missing an obvious pick. Subaru's they are all great vehicles. I have a base model forester and it awesome. just saying
I thought about it, but having had the 2013 forester as my previous car, I was very frustrated by the lack of engine power and handling on curvy mountain roads. Its offroading capabilities never let me down, however.

If they offered a turbo, or a beefier engine, it would be a no contest pick.

Last edited:

Sneaks

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Maine
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Swenson
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1MUR
I thought about it, but having had the 2013 forester as my previous car, I was very frustrated by the lack of engine power and handling on curvy mountain roads. Its offroading capabilities never let me down, however.

If they offered a turbo, or a beefier engine, it would be a no contest pick.
I had a 2018 Forester, the umph is miles better than my sons 2013 (the 2018 2.5 with CTV). Loved it onthe road, visibility is amazing, didn’t have it long enough (2 weeks) to test its off-road chops, the seats were HORRIBLE. 90 minutes and both the better half and myself were in pain. Sent it back. I echo the Jeep recommendations.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
I had a 2018 Forester, the umph is miles better than my sons 2013 (the 2018 2.5 with CTV). Loved it onthe road, visibility is amazing, didn’t have it long enough (2 weeks) to test its off-road chops, the seats were HORRIBLE. 90 minutes and both the better half and myself were in pain. Sent it back. I echo the Jeep recommendations.
We had a couple of Foresters in Australia for a total of 3 weeks or so (two different rentals). They were OK, and had some good features for highway driving; we took one on a fairly rough track in Lamington NP which it handled with no problems. Having said that it would have been fine in any of the vehicles people have suggested.

The Lexus (or another Toyota in this category, despite the premium prices), is still the best option, I think.

Reactions: WilhelmB

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Of the 3 you have listed go with the GX460 it will get you out and back. I was considering one before purchasing a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and to this day still may pick up a one to build a dedicated trail rig out of. That being said the Cherokee Trailhawk with a 3.2 V6 is one you should also look at, has rear locker, low range, hill descent, low speed cruise, tow rating of 4500#View attachment 171120
This. Cherokee trail hawk v6 is an awesome choice. Power, no cvt garbage, locker in the rear from the factory, lifts racks and more readily available now too. With the lift you can fit 265s.

Reactions: WilhelmB

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Run away from the rouge. Cvt is hot garbage. 4 runner is another I forgot about.
Interesting view on the CVT - I don't have experience with the Rogue however my suggestion was based on having owned 2 X Trails, which have, I think, the same CVT transmission. I wouldn't suggest this for more "heavy duty" offroading, however I think that it could work well for OP's objectives. We drove our first X Trail on a lot of unsurfacaed roads/tracks, but not anything I would call "off road"; we drove the second X Trail (T31) 49,000 Km to Tierra del Fuego and back, mostly on surfaced roads, however about 15% of the distance was on unsurfaced roads, including "off road" driving, in rain forest, mud, rock, and sand.

Having said that I would go for the Fortuner or 4 Runner before any of the others.
I have owned 2 cvt equipped vehicles and both transmissions gave me numerous problems. So much so that I will never buy another or recommend them to anyone asking.

Otis Porsche

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Every choice has its advantages - one needs to look hard at what YOU really want to do. Factor in growth without getting too aspirational for what you want to and will actually achieve. We had a 1st gen four door Mitsubishi Montero which spent a lot of time off-road from the Big Bend, Mid Atlantic states, up to the Pacific Northwest. We then got to see the 'Zebra' Cayenne diesel that set the speed record traveling from Nordkapp, Norway to Cape Agulhas, South Africa 17,450 kilometres in 8 days 21 hours and 3 minutes. Same Cayenne set the record driving the entire coastline of Australia, completed a rally from Spain thru the Sahara desert finishing in Dakar, Senegal. Many more extreme adventures with the same rig. If it were not for COVID we would be driving the 'Zebra' off-road thru the Alps from Italy, France, Switzerland, finishing in Germany. These are tough and reliable rigs. We have 8 years and 112k trouble free off-road miles on our Cayenne diesel from the hot Chihuahuan desert up to the frozen Arctic Ocean. While they are not suited for rock climbing we have done the entire WABDR and portions of other BDRs. Have done the Lolo Magruder, southwest Vancouver Island, Big Bend, Lost Coast Trail and many other trips. At the Northwest Overland Rally we have led trail runs for several years. Our 958 Cayenne diesel is configured for extended off-road travel and endurance TSD rally events of 5k plus miles. Ours is completely stock except for body protection with rock sliders, bull bar, skid plates, and roll bar. Plenty of recovery gear including a winch that can be stabbed in front or rear. For our build and some of what we do see Meet Otis - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion ForumsLife begins where the pavement ends small.jpg49721855_801919130157821_7088399869106192384_o.jpgxpel_wrap_small.jpgALCAN Arctic Ocean.jpg

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
PS - to answer a point in OP’s post, we live in a city (of 9 million) and have a Montero for travel/exploration. Not many problems parking since we walk most of the time and use public transport for longer distances in the city. We hardly ever use our own vehicle in the city.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I'd be very afraid of Subaru since the switch to CVT's.

I'd go Jeep.
Agreed 100 percent. After owning two cvt's and both giving us the fits multiple times. They are a no go for me. I still own the audi A4 and have to rebuild it's CVT now. That's going to be fun. Also, I almost traded our wrangler on an outback until I found out it had a CVT then my better judgement kicked in and said NO don't do it.

Reactions: Murphy Slaw

eroyar23

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Pottstown, Pennsylvania 19465, United States
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Royar
Member #

if its not to heavy of off roading id recommend the vw tiguan. i have a 2019 and with the lift and tires i have almost 11" of ground clearance. I've had in mud and sand of new jersey state forests as well as the smallish rock in pennsylvannia and so far it has done great

Reactions: Otis Porsche