CaptainAkela

Rank I

Contributor II

Yucca Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wortman
I'm planning a trip to the Sierra Nevada next week, heading up 395. I already have the first few nights planned out as I'm very familiar with the Inyo NF between Bishop and Bridgeport. After that I would like to go deeper into the mountains, accessing either from 108 or 89 then 4. I've driven 108 and 89 before, but not 4, and never camped off either area. On Gaia I see a lot of enticing forest service roads between the two, and also between 4 and 88. Looks like a maze but at least according to Gaia it may be possible to travel from 108 to 4, and also from 4 to 88 on forest roads. If so, I'm thinking that could be a cool way to explore further in the mountains, then loop back to 395. Is anyone familiar with these routes? I have a 2007 FJ Cruiser with a 3" lift, 33" tires, skids and rock sliders, but no winch. I am going out by myself, no other vehicle or spotter so I'm not looking for anything intense where I might be more likely to get into a situation, just a scenic and hopefully not crowded meander through the mountains with some secluded camping. I know there are some more intense trails in this area, so I don't really want to just wing it based on Gaia claiming it's possible lol. My basic questions are:

Does anyone know if it's possible to connect these highways reliably via dirt, on easy to moderate trails? (Edit: and is it worth it or just tedious?)
If so is it better to go one way or another (i.e. better to start on Sonora pass and end on Ebbets or vice versa, either for views, difficulty or otherwise)?
If I had to choose between 108 or 4 (or 88 for that matter, I'll throw that in), does one route or the other offer better dirt roads and camping options than the other?
Any particular roads or areas I should check out for the most epic camping options?

Thanks for any insight anyone can give!

FishFam_logs

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Fisher
Sounds like a fun attempt. I will admit I rarely tried to connect the highways but know it can be done. 88 to 4 can be done via Deer Valley but that is a moderate trail and personally would not do it alone. Otherwise I believe you got drive a bit, up to 395 or down to Salt Springs Road (08N50) across Mokuleme River to (07N08). Never been but looks passable. Might be a few ways to get to Winston Road (07N03 paved), forest roads, take your pick. FS 07N09 will drop you down on Corral Hollow trail. Popular easy-Moderate trail overlooking Bear Valley Ski resort.
Head West 4 to Sourgrass, Beardsley Road (05N02), fun short trail but is also gotten moderately difficult. Follow Beardsley Road to Hwy108 or near Beardsley Lake split off to Hells Half Acre Road.

Personally I spend most my time on HWY 4. More off-road oriented but tons of spots where you can find some isolated dispersed camping.
When heading back over the hill on 108, be sure to hit Niagara Rim area for some camping and some fun forest trails.

If you want to even head further south on back roads, check Cherry Lake road (paved) drops you down on HWY120 just outside Yosemite.

Scott

Reactions: DANNER

lostgrizzly

Rank I

Contributor III

California, USA
First Name
Brysant
Last Name
Newton
I planned to do 108 to 4 on 7 /15
found a road closed sign just past the bridge above Beardsley lake
It warned of wash outs and I believed it and turned around.

Reactions: FishFam_logs

FishFam_logs

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Fisher
I planned to do 108 to 4 on 7 /15
found a road closed sign just past the bridge above Beardsley lake
It warned of wash outs and I believed it and turned around.
This!
Call the ranger stations before heading out. 05N95 was closed on the last MV use restriction through July 31. The new Stanislaus NF order for motor vehicle restrictions does not list 05N95. Assumptions are it’s open but verify with a call. Still finding lots of trails blocked but “open” up there.

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
Heading out this Saturday from Bearsley to hwy 4. Taking the northernly trails. Hope I can get thru. Forest service map shows everthing opened? Ranger station not very helpful and the people who know are never there!

fly boy

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Marin County
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Mazzon
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6BIF
This Saturday giving the trails north of Bearsley a try if I can get thru to hwy 4.