Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

As of Sept 2nd, 2020 a cross-band FM repeater on the ISS was activated.
Uplink: 144.590 MHz (67Hz tone)
Downlink: 437.800 MHz

I've seen reports that it's pretty easy to work even with a HT and whip antenna, no yagi/directional antenna required.

However, this is a multipurpose radio that also handles APRS digipeater and SSTV duties so it won't be active all the time....yet.
They are working on getting another radio up there so that some capabilities can be run simultaneously.

Looking forward to working it mobile.

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
As of Sept 2nd, 2020 a cross-band repeater on the ISS was activated.
Uplink: 144.590 MHz (67Hz tone)
Downlink: 437.800 MHz

I've seen reports that it's pretty easy to work even with a HT and whip antenna, no yagi/directional antenna required.

However, this is a multipurpose radio that also handles APRS digipeater and SSTV duties so it won't be active all the time....yet.
They are working on getting another radio up there so that some capabilities can be run simultaneously.

Looking forward to working it mobile.

Another thing, it’s at different parts of the world at different times... right now it’s within range from about 1 am until 1:30 am... but yes they are working out some real neat stuff up there.

Reactions: Ubiety

Shokgoblr

Rank III
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

PA, USA
First Name
Shok
Last Name
Goblr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ihave1
New Ham Question..
If I know when the SS is overhead I *should* be able to point my HT at it and pick it up?

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
So obviously this will require a dual band radio, but I suppose it will require a radio that has cross band capabilities. Or run 2 radios...

Reactions: Sparksalot

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

So obviously this will require a dual band radio, but I suppose it will require a radio that has cross band capabilities. Or run 2 radios...
A dual band radio should work. You could either set a memory (or multiple memories to account for the UHF doppler shift) with the offset as the uplink frequecy or use one "side" of the radio for receive and the other for transmit which may not work as well depending on the radio you are trying to use.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Ohhhh I'll be messing with this in the near future. I have the ISS cross band freqs in my radio but thought the radio was on semi-permanent standby.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I wouldn't "point" the radio at it, but yes if it is passing over your area you should be able to hear it.
@Shokgoblr if you hold your HT antenna perpendicularly to the ISS you’ll have the best signal.

Back a few weeks ago when MIR was still up there, I used to use a mag mount stuck to my front door to hear the 2 meter signal. The radiating element was horizontal.