US West Crater Lake (El Dorado National Forest - CA)

• HTML tutorial

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Situated in the El Dorado National Forest, Crater Lake was a fun day trip (about 2.5 hours) from the Sacramento area. I took this trip in June with my cousin and his family. We drove up in his vehicles and explored the area hiking with our kids.

Crater Lake

Alpine Mine Road leads to Crater Lake and is west of Highway 88 (gpx attached). It’s a short 2.2 mile trip back to the lake. The road had ruts and loose rocks to deal with when we were on it. I would rate it as Easy-2 using the OB rating system. Beyond getting to the lake, if you explore some of the off-shooting roads, you will find some terrain up to Moderate-3.

Alpine Mine Road

If you explore those roads north of the lake, you will find an old mine camp.

Old Mine Camp

While we were hiking, we also found some old mine shafts.

Mine Shaft

There is a ridgeline just above the old mine camp that offers great views. You can see Steven’s Peak (10,043 ft) in the picture below.

Steaven's Peak

This was a fun day trip for the family, and it could even be a nice camping trip to stay by the lake and explore some of the surrounding areas.

GPX viewer

Attachments

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Thanks for a good write up and pics, I'm gonna have to check this one out!
Absolutely! If you find time to check the area out, throw some pics in the thread. I wish I would have had more than a day to explore up there.

Reactions: MattyIce517

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Looks like some gorgeous views from up there! Was there much still intact or was everything really just left in ruins?

TRT87

Rank VI
Launch Member

Builder I

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Tennies
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Looks like some gorgeous views from up there! Was there much still intact or was everything really just left in ruins?
Yes, the views were awesome! And in June, the weather was much cooler in the mountains vs. in the valley.

We didn't find any standing buildings. We found 3x mine shafts. One was full of water, one collapsed, and the last was still standing. There was also an old truck and some other abandoned equipment.

Mine Camp (2).jpg