West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
QST QST QST Calling all overlanding hams who would like to consider combining a serious Field Day entry and a weekend of camping and adventuring over the June 25-26 weekend.
I'm a serious contester and regular FD participant, but a rank novice when it comes to overlanding adventures. I'd like to find a group—or start a group—of maybe 4 or 5 hams who'd consider doing a mountaintop operation in northern Virginia. I was up around Switzer Lake in the George Washington Nat'l Forest last year, and thought this would be an ideal place to do maybe a 1A or 2A entry.

Has anybody operated from up there in the past and would like to do so again? Or maybe just someone who's familiar with the route from off-roading and would like to try their hand at an organized FD to see what kind of fun can be had.

As far as experience, that doesn't matter. So long as you're a licensed ham and willing to get behind the mic/key it's all good. If you're a Tech or General that's OK too since, as an Extra, we can operate under my call. I will bring my own radio, but ideally I'd like to have one other HF radio for a 2A entry if possible. This will be an HF event, on 10-15-20-40-80m, although I don't think 10 will be very productive this year. I'm strictly CW myself, but phone or even FT8 is always fun on FD. For antennas, I'm thinking dipoles or Delta Loops, or if someone's got a muilti-band Vertical that would be great. For power, I'm thinking a few power banks like Jackerys/etc, or if someone has a 2kW inverter generator that might be better. So, who's interested?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Sounds like fun.
You might consider making an OB event, even if someone isn't licensed they can still come up and operate if they have interest.

Reactions: Sparksalot

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
How does one create an event? I'm still fairly new around these parts and usually just post answers or questions in the forum.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

@NJRadioGuy
At the top of the page, click the drop down arrow next to Rally Point, Create Rally Point, Standard Rally Point.
Fill out the form, image, description, location, etc.
Let me know if you have questions.

CMac

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Ashburn, VA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
McIntyre
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN4UNO
Service Branch
USN
Sounds like fun…I’m looking into this.

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Would be awesome. As I said, I have a ton of radio and Field Day experience but I honestly don't know the trails up there very well and could sure use the advice of someone who's more familiar with going up there! Monitor the thread I posted in the events section too.

SteveC-Pro4X

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Havertown, PA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Coscia
Member #

I recently camped near Switzer Lake on my way back to Pennsylvania - camped alongside a creek. Fun trails and dispersed campsites. Great overlanding region.

Attachments

NJRadioGuy

Rank V

Influencer II

West Caldwell, NJ, USA
First Name
Peter
Last Name
Dougherty
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2IRT
Yeah, I completely agree! But I just can't seem to find any overlanding hams interested in going off to do Field Day up there. I'm absolutely game to do a few days in the GWNF and wheel up Flagpole Knob, but I was really hoping to do this as a radio even this weekend.