Convoy Comms and Mode Standardization for Overland travel?

• HTML tutorial

VCeXpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Torrance, L.A., Cal., Earth
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Rich
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6DHR
I know this will be unpopular, but as someone who knows VERY little about radios and has no particular desire to get into all of the science-y side of it, what I want is just to be able to talk to others in a small group over relatively small spaces. I obviously see the benefit of having a ham radio in the group in case something goes FUBAR, but I don't want to have to study, take a test and go through all the necessary formalities just to ask my buddies if we should go right or left at the next fork in the road. It would seem to me that the group should agree on a CB or FRS set up and just make sure that we have at least one rig in the group with ham when going remote. Just my (admittedly uneducated) two cents.

Not at all unpopular, in fact this seems to be the prevailing thought on trail comms. Decide what works best for the group.

People don't really want or need another hobby and that's really what this is if you take it that far. I'm not sure it's "science-y" but certainly gets as technical as you let it. At it's root, you can just simply use it to talk. The test is pretty easy these days and radios are very affordable now.

Trail comms to me are important. However you have to do it, do it!
@Kent R pretty much nailed it with the order that most established trail groups have, if a tight group of folks have developed this as a tool, it makes the group even tighter.
However... tight groups tend not to allow new people to feel comfortable joining them. Now I know Kent a bit, and feel like he would welcome any newcomers, regardless of what comms they have, it wouldn't be a big issue.

My point is I guess, is that we should all have fun doing what we enjoy, comms to me are a major part of that, both to share experiences, chatter about cool stuff while on the trail, and above all have an extra measure of safety when needed, however that has to happen.

It was mentioned that whatever comms the group decides is best, someone ought to have a Ham (and know how to use it for emergencies), but what about a Sat Phone? I have one that I bring for just this reason, it's the last thing I'll try if there is a critical situation, and it's a level to which I'd rather not go, but feel like it's a necessity, especially in large groups where the more numbers you have and variety of rigs and capability, the more likely there will be something go hard left. Be prepared, I'm still a Boy Scout at heart, it's hard to unlearn those things I guess!

I'd like to work toward putting together a round-table forum, maybe a Podcast as was mentioned. This is always a topic if not even a point of contention in this crowd. There are a lot of choices. As @OCWanderer said, the group should agree on what to use. I would always recommend that everyone have something, some way to communicate. Some are a little militant about it, I'm less so, but feel it's their loss if someone chooses not to have some form of communication.

I could go on (and usually do!), this is a good topic, let's keep it alive (and friendly!).

Dan.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Not at all unpopular, in fact this seems to be the prevailing thought on trail comms. Decide what works best for the group.

People don't really want or need another hobby and that's really what this is if you take it that far. I'm not sure it's "science-y" but certainly gets as technical as you let it. At it's root, you can just simply use it to talk. The test is pretty easy these days and radios are very affordable now.

Trail comms to me are important. However you have to do it, do it!
@Kent R pretty much nailed it with the order that most established trail groups have, if a tight group of folks have developed this as a tool, it makes the group even tighter.
However... tight groups tend not to allow new people to feel comfortable joining them. Now I know Kent a bit, and feel like he would welcome any newcomers, regardless of what comms they have, it wouldn't be a big issue.

My point is I guess, is that we should all have fun doing what we enjoy, comms to me are a major part of that, both to share experiences, chatter about cool stuff while on the trail, and above all have an extra measure of safety when needed, however that has to happen.

It was mentioned that whatever comms the group decides is best, someone ought to have a Ham (and know how to use it for emergencies), but what about a Sat Phone? I have one that I bring for just this reason, it's the last thing I'll try if there is a critical situation, and it's a level to which I'd rather not go, but feel like it's a necessity, especially in large groups where the more numbers you have and variety of rigs and capability, the more likely there will be something go hard left. Be prepared, I'm still a Boy Scout at heart, it's hard to unlearn those things I guess!

I'd like to work toward putting together a round-table forum, maybe a Podcast as was mentioned. This is always a topic if not even a point of contention in this crowd. There are a lot of choices. As @OCWanderer said, the group should agree on what to use. I would always recommend that everyone have something, some way to communicate. Some are a little militant about it, I'm less so, but feel it's their loss if someone chooses not to have some form of communication.

I could go on (and usually do!), this is a good topic, let's keep it alive (and friendly!).

Dan.
Dan,
You are right! anyone can go with us anytime, our group The Sierra Foothills Overlanders is all about educating overlanders to make the experience a safe and enjoyable one, the only thing we require is some sort of communications and if that happens to be CB by the end of the trip they will understand why we are pushing a higher standard.