Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept (Four-C) - Which setting is the best?

• HTML tutorial

XC70_OVERLANDER

Local Expert Northern Germany

Navigator II

Hamburg, Germany
First Name
Thore
Last Name
Fahrenbach
Member #

Service Branch
Higher Education
Hej Y'all. I was wondering if someone could give a good expiation for my question:

My Volvo XC70 is (unfortunately) equipment with a FOUR-C (Continuously Controlled Chassis Concept) shock absorber. "The Four-C system has a sophisticated microprocessor and software that computes the motions of the car to adapt the hardness of the shock absorbers" (IPD).

My question is what you be the better and more sustainable setting. There are two modes: A) Comfort: Shocks are softer B) Sport: Shocks are stiffer.

I was wondering if the staffer shocks are wearing out the whole system quicker than the bit softer mode.

Does my question makes sense?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Hi Thore,

I see your points and can well understand the question.

The suspension of a vehicle is an extremely complex subject. In this area, so many people spend so much money on colorful shock absorbers and any other springs, etc. without a real improvement or even more durability over the standard equipment. Precisely because it is so complex and only a few people are really familiar with it. A suspension is not only springs and dampers, but there are many more components (axle stops, suspension bushings, suspensions, stabilizers, etc.) and also an exact adjustment to the given requirements.

And on the subject of adjustment, we are at your question. Let me go a little into practice and give examples. My shock absorbers, for example, are adjusted (shims) so that they respond very softly when driving slowly off-road, thus allowing a lot of movement. When driving fast, for example on a winding road or on a (corrugated) track, they respond much harder. So that the vehicle is tight, predictable and safe, but still offers enough reserves for sudden hard impacts, for example in potholes, and there is still sufficient comfort and protection of the vehicle.

And it is precisely this balance that you can choose in principle with your two selectable settings and thus also prevent unnecessary wear (if you choose a soft variant and thereby cause massive impacts of the vehicle on a track, your total wear will be higher, etc.). So, the answer is "it depends", namely on the respective application and the appropriate choice of setting.

Maybe that helps?

By the way, the question would be better posted under the Rig Q&A, since it involves vehicle components, right?

Bjoern

Reactions: Wranglervirus