Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Continental Divide 2023
21 days on the CDT, eight rigs started and five rigs finished.
We had the best weather you could imagine, no rain or mud and that just made for some really great adventure. Two years ago it rained just about every day on us.
We started at the US/Mexico border and ended at the US/Canada Border and traveled 2600 miles+-. The ending was a little disappointing due to road construction that closed the road five miles from the border just north of Polebridge MT. We had to travel over a mountain range to the west to get right up to the border at Roosville MT. If you do the CDT make sure you try and get to the border above Polebridge, that way you are very close to the actual divide.

Some highlights
Saw some animals:
Black Bears, Grizzly Bear, Badger, Coyote’s, Elk, Deer, Antilope, Bison, lots of eagles and hawks, one member of the group saw some Moose.
Went over four major passes in CO:
Stony, Hurricane, California, & Engineer. CO is a destination by itself, the high mountain passes are unbelievable and deserve way more time than we had. If you need any info about CO, our Local Expert Neal A. Tew is the best resource we have for CO.
Wildfires:
Almost had to turn around due to the 26K acre Divide Fire in NM, but we were able to talk our way through by chatting up one of the HotShot crews that were lighting backfires. They radioed ahead that we were coming through and for the next 15 min we got a front row seat to active firing operations (brought back some memories from my previous career). A second wildfire on the track caused us to detour around and miss one of the great campsites north of Seeley Lake MT.
Perseid Meteor shower:
Got to watch a great show, no cloud cover and absolutely no light pollution.

There will be a youtube video produced by @socialpants, this should come out in about six months
I will be updating the GPX file from two years ago and it will be available to email by the end of next month. Email me if you are interested in the new file Kent@OverlandBound.com
I will also put the new track on the Overland Bound app.
#OBCDT23 for more pictures

Attachments