Considering an AWD Toyota Sienna

• HTML tutorial

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

My work commute is now about 25 miles a day. It's not bad, but for the last 20 years I lived and worked just minutes apart. That, and wanting to make more long distance trips, made me start thinking about adding something more conventional to add to my personal fleet.

I didn't set out to have multiple vehicles, but you know how it goes: you have your primary rig, you have a raggedy pickup truck for home projects and side jobs, then your wife gets something new and you keep her old vehicle as a spare so you don't have to finish all the work on your primary rig over a weekend...

It has been years since I've actively pursued challenging trails. These days, I'm usually just wanting to enjoy a drive and find a good dispersed site before dark so I can settle in while there's still some daylight.

On a whim, I started looking at mini vans. As a young driver, I added a lot of miles to my mom's 93 Astro Van, so I already have a soft spot for such a platform. Finding AWD options got me even more excited. Then I found that there are 2" and 3" lifts available for the Sienna. Like anything with a lift, I'm sure it shortens the life of critical suspension and driveline components, but I can't shake the idea of just how practical something like this would be for me.

I'd keep the GX and continue to build it, but a new, fuel efficient vehicle as a daily driver and road trip rig... Could be the move.

I thought I'd start a conversation to see if any of you are running a lifted Sienna or comparable. If so, what parts have needed increased maintenance? Have you found it lacking what you needed from it on the trails you've chosen?

1693257973578.jpeg

1693257985886.jpeg

0verlander

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Prescott, AZ, USA
First Name
Edward
Last Name
Edward
It is hard to believe no one has replied to your thread, in nearly three months!

I too am looking into this platform, for the following reasons...
Toyota reliability, gas mileage with the Sienna, and cargo area.
I am 6'5'' so there are few vehicles I can "stretch out" in and I'm not really interested in investing thousands of dollars in a rooftop tent or tent camping on the ground in areas with large predators. My wife and I spend the summers at our place in Oregon and the rest of the year in northern Arizona.

I haven't done extensive research into the Sienna AWD yet, but I believe it would a stable enough platform to tow a small trailer with extra supplies.
Something around 1,500 lbs would be plenty for me. It is supposedly rated to tow 3,500 lbs but that seems high. I wouldn't want it getting "squirrely" on me at highway speeds or off-road at low speeds. Towing a trailer is a good way to get stuck off-road but I'm not looking to do any "wheeling" in this thing, mostly just hit some dispersed camping areas off of forest roads, places I've already been or scouted ahead of time.

I found this overlanding setup for the Sienna. It gave me a lot of great ideas!

Oh, and thanks for mentioning the lifts!
I've owned a 4Runner and an FJ, but the thought of lifting a Sienna honestly never even occurred to me, I'll have to look into that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3rd3rd

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
There are acutal pop top kits for many current vans too. Like the old vw vans. Gives you standing room inside your van which makes for a more enjoyable time if the weather is not the best. Might want to check those options out too. I would love to have a current sienna AWD lifted with a complete poptop camp interior where we could sleep downstairs and there would be the pop top bed available for colin above.

Reactions: 0verlander