DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Some information about the connection between Rothrock and Bald Eagle State Forests and the finally completed construction at Rt 322.

Google maps has no idea about gated roads. And since the last time I was there the traffic pattern has been different 3 out of 4 times...I had no way to know for sure.

I did drive my route the other weekend just to check this.

So if you are using my route or map overlay...here is the situation at 322.

Note: if you are using Rt 322 to get To Bald Eagle or Rothrock...you want the Sand Mountain Rd exit.

You will be on Crowfield Rd when you come to the google maps mistake. You will see a large fence blocking the route. Continue srraight(on the bright green route). You will come to an intersection with Krise Valley Rd and a turn around on the right. Continue straight following the road under 322. You can then head up and get back on the route to Sand Mountain Rd. Or if just making your own you can also turn before rejoining the route and head into the forest via Decker Valley Road.

You can also come out of Rothrock(or into) on Krise Valley Road. The connection would be the same.Screenshot_20211112-071312~2.png

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Got the first scouting route figured out

I plan to come out of Moshannon at Medix Run and then take 555 into Benezette turning left onto Summerson Rd. Then onto Porcupine rd following Dents Run Rd back to 555. Then left into Hicks Run Rd to check out the camping area and then Barr Hollow to Huston Hill to Sheddy to Mason Hill (checking out the Bucktail Overlook) back to 555. Then left onto 120 to take a right onto Grove Hill rd and then starting the tedious task of scouting for those campsites. And enjoying all the vistas.

I can then easily make this connect with my Sproul route.

Good times. I can not believe today flew by with no dirt road timeScreenshot_20211113-160934.png

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
So. Was going to update my map today. I got a route through Elk and a route through Tuscarora south.

Damn thing will not let me add anymore.

Trying to learn more about my mapping app. But I can not seem to combine routes on there.

Always some kind of frustration.

Reactions: Dusther210

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I had a very productive off pavement adventure yesterday.

Got through Rothrock, Bald Eagle and into Tiadaghton SF. 155 miles and 7hours.

Found out exactly how much I hate following a route(even though it was my own). How much I hate technology...yep...it went down when I needed it the most. But was reassured a map will always be the best navigation tool.

Found out the 322 road construction is finally done and it is a totally different way to make the crossover form Rothrock to BESF. I will update this info in a few of my threads when I get the chance.

Anyways...some pics.View attachment 215035View attachment 215036View attachment 215037View attachment 215038View attachment 215039View attachment 215040View attachment 215041View attachment 215042View attachment 215043

@Zach_42a0dc

This is the one I meant for you to check out.

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
About to take this one step further...

Connecting Forests in the Mid Atlantic.

I enjoy using Purple Lizard Maps for this, because they take the guess work out of private roads and legal recreation.

They are adding more maps...so my route will expand accordingly.

2023_PLP_locator_lettersize_480x480.jpg

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
I connected the forests again this weekend. Got the new 4th edition of Bald Eagle State Forest which includes Rothrock and Tiadaghton State forest. So, I made it a point to hit all 3 again.

It was a bit of work to get the family started off on this adventure. Slept in, forgot stuff, changed plans six times and then finally decided on starting with an early dinner/late lunch and a trip to a motel with a pool.

Had to head back home for swimming gear and then off to Spruce Creek Tavern for a meal. I highly recommend going here if you are adventuring in Central PA. It is just a short drive from the entrance to Rothrock on Colerain Rd. Which is where I started the track.

98 miles and just under 10 was on pavement. Man I love being on dirt roads.

We meandered out through Rothrock on the west side of rt 26 and then crossed over to the east side of Rothrock. We saw no one at any of the campsites, but being the last day for rifle deer season, so many hunters taking that last chance.

As I mentioned in other posts, the crossover/connection at 322 into Bald Eagle is finally completed and has not changed.

Very easy to accomplish, but one of the longest stints of pavement on the route.

One of our goals was to hit the open for travel roads, that only open in the late hunting seasons.

We did Panther Run. This is a normally gated road that Google Maps always tried to route people down. It goes back into Little Poe Road...another seasonal gates road.

We then headed out through the lower Bald Eagle forest. One thing we did get to do after having just ate and drank a large meal was verify the availability of restrooms. They were open and clean.

Darkness started to set in and we were running out of swimming time as we came up to one of the other seasonal roads I wanted to travel...bit, I just verified it was open and kept to the main forest roads and then beat feet to our hotel.

We swam, got some rest, had breakfast and swam again...before heading out the next afternoon looking for...SNOW.

Well, we found it and had a shirt trip through the forest roads before having to beat feet home for cub scouts at 1800. Got home at 1720, just a few minutes to get ready and back out the door.

It was a great weekend. I will break it down more in the coming posts

Adventure is Necessary

Reactions: John Bishop