Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I was recently given an old "milspec" Coleman Leaded Gasoline lantern, produced in 1963, which is the 252 model from what I understand. Anyone have experience rebuilding and maintaining these? After some cleanup, lubrication, and fresh fuel, she will not flow any fuel through. I'm holding some pressure in the fuel tank as it does release some when opening the fill cap or the pump valve. I imagine the seals are too dry and worn for the lubrication to help. I know I'll need to acquire some replacement seals and such but also will need to find out how to maintain it as well. I have a soft spot for these old Coleman camp products as I have a 1971 425E that I've used one my overlanding trips, as well as a backup in case of emergencies. I was looking for something to match or at least be older and run off the same fuel source. Is it worth my time to rebuild this lantern or should I look for a better specimen? Thank you!

armymgdude

Rank IV

Advocate II

Olympia, WA
I have a 1947 Coleman GI stove and a 1950 lantern that I got working again with parts from oldcolemanparts. I love my old stuff. I even found a dual fuel 2 burner stove at a garage sale. I vote keep the lantern, they are a lot of fun.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
It probably has a leather pump cup, pull it and soak it in 10w30 for a few hours then invert it and let it soak some more. I've not had to replace a leather cup yet on the old lanterns and stoves I've been playing with. It sounds like your check valve in the pump well is stuck also. Fill the pump well with PB BLASTER for a day or so and see if that breaks up the gunk keeping it from sealing.

As for the cap gasket, pull the screw out and lay the center piece with the gasket on something not flammable. Heat it with a propane torch till it turns a faint red and let it cool. The old gasket will crumble and fall out as dust.

Old coleman parts will have all the pieces you need. I bought their check valve tool to work on my 59 228E and I've gotta say, it's worth it's $40!

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I was recently given an old "milspec" Coleman Leaded Gasoline lantern, produced in 1963, which is the 252 model from what I understand. Anyone have experience rebuilding and maintaining these? After some cleanup, lubrication, and fresh fuel, she will not flow any fuel through. I'm holding some pressure in the fuel tank as it does release some when opening the fill cap or the pump valve. I imagine the seals are too dry and worn for the lubrication to help. I know I'll need to acquire some replacement seals and such but also will need to find out how to maintain it as well. I have a soft spot for these old Coleman camp products as I have a 1971 425E that I've used one my overlanding trips, as well as a backup in case of emergencies. I was looking for something to match or at least be older and run off the same fuel source. Is it worth my time to rebuild this lantern or should I look for a better specimen? Thank you!
Did you get it going?

Kevin108

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Virginia Beach, VA
Member #

The mil-specs use a non-serviceable generator. Inside of them are two pieces of string and a wad of screen material. I think I paid about $12 for my last replacement. It's actually a lousy design compared to the standard generators. I love the storage well in the fount for the toolkit though. As mentioned above, Old Coleman Parts is a great source for anything Coleman. I have the pleasure of dealing with a local seller named Billy. He runs an eBay store as well. Replacement generators from him are $14 shipped. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mil-Spec-NOS-Military-Surplus-Lantern-Generator-for-Coleman-252-252A-AGM-etc-/111427769954

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
The mil-specs use a non-serviceable generator. Inside of them are two pieces of string and a wad of screen material. I think I paid about $12 for my last replacement. It's actually a lousy design compared to the standard generators. I love the storage well in the fount for the toolkit though. As mentioned above, Old Coleman Parts is a great source for anything Coleman. I have the pleasure of dealing with a local seller named Billy. He runs an eBay store as well. Replacement generators from him are $14 shipped. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mil-Spec-NOS-Military-Surplus-Lantern-Generator-for-Coleman-252-252A-AGM-etc-/111427769954
Thank you for that! I acquired another Coleman lantern, 228F to be exact. I have yet to dig into it but that's the plan over the winter for both. I tinkered with the milspec one for a while but I imagine the seals are worn enough that it won't hold pressure very well, and the generator is shot. I get flow to the generator, but not past it. So new seals and a new generator are in order. I know the 228F needs a thorough cleaning and lubrication, and the seals might be ok as the guy I snagged it from said it appeared to work before he shipped it to me. I just haven't put any time into them as of late.