• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
Hey everyone
So I decided that I want a full size pickup, now I need to decide on a make.

I want something that has the front seat off the floor; in other words I'm going for the caravan setup & avoiding the sedan or Tacoma setup. Will a tundra be comfortable for me?

Happy trails,
Nicholas

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Yep. Tundra's a good choice.

I'd rather have an F250 xl, CC, SB, 7.3 gas, Fx4, 4.30, elocker, if I was in the market again.

Those will fit 35" tires stock, even the spare. Front axle is auto locker ready.

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
Yep. Tundra's a good choice.

I'd rather have an F250 xl, CC, SB, 7.3 gas, Fx4, 4.30, elocker, if I was in the market again.

Those will fit 35" tires stock, even the spare. Front axle is auto locker ready.
Thank you for the advice but you use a lot of acronyms and I'm just starting to learn the lingo

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

F250xl- Ford F250. XL is a trim level
CC - Crew Cab...four full doors
SB -Short Bed...the box in the back is the short version
7.3 gas - big engine here, 7.3 liters, gas rather than diesel
Fx4 - Ford's common offroad package
4.30 - final drive gear ratio
E-Locker-electronic, selectable locker, for equal power to both wheels of an axle when desired

Full sized pickup trucks come in various levels of capability, even within one manufacturer. For the average Ford consumer, the choices are 150, 250, and 350. For Chevy the equivalents are known as the 1500, 2500, and 3500.

In the older days, they used to be called half-ton, 3/4 ton, and 1-ton respectively, though this nomenclature is outdated.

These designate hauling and towing capacity with each higher number a more capable bracket.

The truck described would be a beast. And expensive

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Mine was $38,000, out the door. Less than a base model Jeep.

4" suspensions are around $2000. Front locker is $1000 installed.

Only real challenge with the Ford is making engine skid plates, although I haven't needed any in years. Make them out of cardboard, take the cardboard to a fab shop.

Thanks to current levels of mismanaged inflation, they're close to $44k now.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Nope. 250 is ten times stronger, same size, same cost.

Front axle is autolocker ready. Front springs are numbingly easy to swap and cheap (for winch bumpers and such), Simpler drivetrain. No GVWR concerns. And maybe a small camper from Bundutec or FWC is in my future.

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
Nope. 250 is ten times stronger, same size, same cost.

Front axle is autolocker ready. Front springs are numbingly easy to swap and cheap (for winch bumpers and such), Simpler drivetrain. No GVWR concerns. And maybe a small camper from Bundutec or FWC is in my future.
F250 ame size as the f150? Isn't the f250 longer?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Maybe. Mines not very long because shortbed.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We are thinking that in about 6 or 7 years we’re going to change up our style a bit. I’ll be 75 and my wife 72. We both love our 80 series LC. It gets us to some spectacularly remote, way off grid, campsites. We know as we get older, pitching a big tent or climbing up and down a ladder to bed, may not be ideal. I’m with you mid-Ohio. The F-250 is about the only full size pick-up that is a fine workhorse right out of the box and would be right at home dragging an airstream or a large “off road” trailer into the back country.

Reactions: MidOH

Brewbud

Rank V

Member III

SoCal
Member #

I was looking at Ford 250 and Ram 2500. The Ram with the Cummins was a better choice for me.

Give thought about payload if you are ever going to tow anything big like a 5th wheel though. Pin weight eats up the legal payload of a 250 or 2500 pretty fast.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I wouldn't get a pickup for a 5'er at all. I'd get a 350-550 chassis cab DRW. Flatbed. Better bed clearance.

Truck beds are handy for a TT, but a 5'er is such a one trick pony, I'd get a truck specially for that task.

I've got a 19 Ram 3500 chassis cab 10' box, and a 17 Ford f250 in my driveway right now. Ask me anything.

Contributor I

Montréal, Quebec, Canada
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Monte
I wouldn't get a pickup for a 5'er at all. I'd get a 350-550 chassis cab DRW. Flatbed. Better bed clearance.

Truck beds are handy for a TT, but a 5'er is such a one trick pony, I'd get a truck specially for that task.

I've got a 19 Ram 3500 chassis cab 10' box, and a 17 Ford f250 in my driveway right now. Ask me anything.
Is 5'er a reference to height or a 5th wheel? Does TT mean travel travel? I forgot to mention that I don't want to tow anything. What's your recommendations for me?

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
It's slang for 5th wheel camper. TT is short for the regular big travel trailers.

I generally dont like 5'ers, they're no more versatile than a 50' motorcoach. At least with a TT you can put bikes or kayaks on the truck.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Is 5'er a reference to height or a 5th wheel? Does TT mean travel travel? I forgot to mention that I don't want to tow anything. What's your recommendations for me?
I would go go with a 3/4 ton truck. All of the mfg. are doing good job these days. Research aftermarket upgrades before you buy. Everything is a compromise, with a full size the rubicon isn't on your list of trails. You can haul and pack more than you need. It's all a trade off and what you want to do. I have had little trucks, 1/2 ton, and 3/4 ton, I don't pull anything, the ability to carry anything without worrying about maxing the load or dragging butt is great. The comfort of a full size is also better for me.

cortttt

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Western U.S.
First Name
cort
Last Name
Johnson
We are thinking that in about 6 or 7 years we’re going to change up our style a bit. I’ll be 75 and my wife 72. We both love our 80 series LC. It gets us to some spectacularly remote, way off grid, campsites. We know as we get older, pitching a big tent or climbing up and down a ladder to bed, may not be ideal. I’m with you mid-Ohio. The F-250 is about the only full size pick-up that is a fine workhorse right out of the box and would be right at home dragging an airstream or a large “off road” trailer into the back country.
I would go with the 350 or 3500 single rear wheel. Just a bit more expensive and you're pretty much assured that if you want a truck camper that's not too huge, you'll have the payload to handle it and will be able to get off road quite a bit as well.