Rank VI

Endurance II

CHARLOTTE
First Name
Barry
Last Name
OReilly
Member #

New to off-road driving and overlanding, planning on driving Chicken Corners in Moab this summer, what do I need to know? Grateful for any insight on dispersed camping too!

Reactions: Neal A. Tew

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
If I recall correctly, there are a few dispersed sites after Hurrah Pass as you get towards the end. Check the Overland bound map and trailsoffroad.com if you haven't already.

Neal A. Tew

US Rocky Mountain Local Expert
Mod Team

Member III

Pueblo West, CO
First Name
Neal
Last Name
Tew
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N1TEW
Also, when are you planning to do this trip? Don't underestimate how freaking hot it might be. I've been out there in the summer before when it was hard to sleep at night because it was still so warm.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

New to off-road driving and overlanding, planning on driving Chicken Corners in Moab this summer, what do I need to know? Grateful for any insight on dispersed camping too!
Watch for traffic, especially SxS. There are few sketchy spots but otherwise the trail is not that difficult. Have fun!

KevinsOffroad.com

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Phoenix, AZ
Member #

In the Moab area, there's some higher altitude locations, which will be cooler if heat is not your thing. Check out La Sal Loop trail...absolutely beautiful up there, and great camping! There's also the Henry Mountains, and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon which are higher altitudes and cooler. For me, Moab is a no-go from Jun-Aug. Don't get me wrong...it's doable, but it's ungodly hot some days, and without AC in your camper/RTT/rig, it's freakin' brutal some nights.

Reactions: jeepers29

BroncoTrail

Rank IV

Influencer II

Cottonwood Heights, UT, USA
First Name
Bronco
Last Name
Trail
Member #

Chicken Corners will take you 4-8 hours depending on how leisurely you want to be, if you get stuck behind any groups of vehicles, and how often you stop to take pictures and enjoy the view. Your vehicle won't have any problems on that trail.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Don’t even make a left onto Lockhart Basin Rd. Not even on a dare, unless you have recovery gear, winch, and another vehicle along with you.. a few years ago we went that way with two other inexperienced drivers. 5 hours to traverse about 50 ft. One of the guys ( in an 4Runner Trail edition) actually said afterwards at camp, I didn’t use crawl control nor did I engage the lockers, I wanted to see what would happen. Fortunately we’d had a sip or three and were able to laugh about it. My point? You’re new at this, stay where you feel good. And, a big and, do not trust that any SxS will do the right thing and observe any sort of trail etiquette. They seem to think that the fastest vehicle has absolute right of way. Oh BTW- summertime? It’s going to be hot, very hot, so there will not be a lot of people.