Member III

Washington, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Etheredge
Member #

Hey everyone,

So like the title suggests, I have a 2019 Silverado 1500 that's 2WD. I was averaging close to 20.9 mpg just going from work to home. After I installed a leveling kit on the front, I slapped on some Goodyear All-terrain Tires that are 265/70R17 (I think on the 70 part; I kept the 17 inch wheels and went up from a 255 to 265. That's circumference, right?). My MPG dropped from 20.9 to a solid 17.1mpg (btw, I'm using premium fuel; 87 octane nets me about 14.9 mpg). I know if I add a cold air intake and go with an aftermarket exhaust, I'll see a few returns back on my mileage, but here is my actual question:

If I were to add aftermarket headers and then have the truck re-tuned, would the added horsepower and torque be too much for the average 2WD overland vehicle? Not sure if this is a dumb question from way out in left field, but all feedback is appreciated.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
255 vs 265 is the tread width. You didn’t mention the type of tire you replaced. If you went from a highway tread to the AT that’s probably the main culprit for your fuel economy. Been there, lol.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

its the nature of the beast when you lift a truck you catch more air and have terrible aerodynamics. Its not the worst mpg drop I've seen. I advise you to leave that cold air intake crap alone especially if it is an open filter type without an air box that routes air from the outside of the engine bay, you just be sucking hot underhood air and driving in any type of water gets risky

Reactions: Maedge

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Short answer, no. For sure, GM v8's love some room to breath. Even a tune on it's own can bump you some power, but adding "bolt on" parts isn't going to make your rig unmanageable.

I personally run a stage 2 camshaft and find I have plenty of control over slippage.

A word of advice to build on Boostpowered's reply. Save your money. Yes you can potentially net a couple HP from CAI and Headers, but these trucks are already well endowed. The area of your power curve you'd be increasing is not where you'll be using the truck overlanding. You need low speed control with good part-throttle response (headers and intakes allow better breathing at high rpm). No setup on the market is better than the factory one for those needs.