Superfishal

Rank III

Advocate I

Annapolis, MD, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Alan
I need to get chains for my Jeep JLU rubicon diesel. I have 17” wheels with Nitto Ridge grappler 35” tires..2.5” AEV lift…anyone have real world experience and recommendations for road legal chains to navigate the Rocky Mountains?

Last edited:

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I only run V-Bar linked ladder chains… they have worked very well for me since I started using them in 1997.

Reactions: El-Dracho

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
You also explicitly asked about what is roadlegal. I can't say anything about that, because I don't know the regulations in your country.

In addition to the basic legal regulations, sometimes we also have some binding specifications in the vehicle documents over here. Primarily concerning the free movement of the wheels in the wheel housing with the chains. Whereby, well, common sense says that they must be absolutely free to move. I would always try this before using the chains.

From my experience, it's generally a good idea to use high-quality snow chains that can be installed relatively quickly. For a heavy off-road vehicle it may be something better. Here is a practical tip. It's best to practice putting on snow chains at home in a warm place. In cold weather and driving snow, this can otherwise be an annoying affair. And please remember using work gloves and take care of your safety, especially when mounting on the side of the road. Think safety, please.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
You also explicitly asked about what is roadlegal. I can't say anything about that, because I don't know the regulations in your country.

In addition to the basic legal regulations, sometimes we also have some binding specifications in the vehicle documents over here. Primarily concerning the free movement of the wheels in the wheel housing with the chains. Whereby, well, common sense says that they must be absolutely free to move. I would always try this before using the chains.

From my experience, it's generally a good idea to use high-quality snow chains that can be installed relatively quickly. For a heavy off-road vehicle it may be something better. Here is a practical tip. It's best to practice putting on snow chains at home in a warm place. In cold weather and driving snow, this can otherwise be an annoying affair. And please remember using work gloves and take care of your safety, especially when mounting on the side of the road. Think safety, please.
The sets @Billiebob and I are recommending are DOT… which means they are 50 state legal