Contributor III

Belgium
First Name
Niko
Last Name
Caignie
Member #

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had some experience or idea how the cell network is in the more remote parts of Sweden/Norway. Up in the mountains or on remote roads.
Since roaming in Europe is “Roam as home”, that is a nice way to document the journey and keep in touch. But since I’m travelling with my two daughters (6-7), I don’t want no surprises in case of emergency.
Do I need a back up plan (Delorme or SatPhone) or is there sufficient cell phone coverage?

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

According to OpenSignal.com for all carriers: It's really weak outside of major cities. I'd plan for a LanSat Phone, for emergency's... upload_2018-3-26_15-7-28.png

Reactions: Niko Caignie

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

When you look in detail at the coverage from all the networks, most areas and main roads are covered fairly well. but, if you're going to stray off the beaten path, then it could get sketchy.
I've seen InReach in use in many areas and it works well, so that's what we'll be using when we go to Scandinavia. I've even considered having one for those areas in the UK and mainland Europe that have poor coverage.
Better safe than sorry. Things can go sideways very quickly.

Reactions: Tim

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

Being a resident of Norway, I've never had any problem with cellphone coverage.

Just my $.02

EDIT: There is infact one spot where cellphone overage is totally shit, but all I have to do is walk/drive 100m before everything is back to normal again.

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Being a resident of Norway, I've never had any problem with cellphone coverage.

Just my $.02

EDIT: There is infact one spot where cellphone overage is totally shit, but all I have to do is walk/drive 100m before everything is back to normal again.
Thanks for the info @Joey83

Reactions: Joey83

magnusbornes

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Trondheim, Norway
First Name
Magnus
Last Name
B
Member #

Norwegian here too..:blush:

Norway has three cellular networks. Telenor, Telia and Ice.net. They all have coverage maps on their websites.
Telenor does probably have the best coverage on remote places, but Telia may cover a few places where Telenor does not.
In my experience, there are no really big areas (where you can get by car) where you are not covered. I agree with @Joey83 here. In most cases you can walk/drive like 100 meters to get the signal back.
But with that beeing said. This is for calls/SMS. For data/internet, you may experience some more issues off the grid.
So basically, make sure you can use Telenor, and you'll be good, I think. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Last edited:

nickburt

Rank VII
Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

Because cell network contracts in the UK allow for Eu roaming when in another country, the phone just locks onto the available network and works.
This means we can use in any Eu country without incurring additional costs.
Will be interesting to see what happens to this after Brexit !!!

Todd Jackson

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Nybro, Kalmar, Sweden
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Jackson
Member #

Service Branch
Services
Here in Sweden I find cell coverage hit and miss at best and I have Telia who have the monopoly here. :angry: The above map I don't trust, I can drive 10 km in any direction from my house to find a dead spot. That map will mislead you to believe that there is 100% coverage here when there's not. Keeping to high ground and closer to asphalt roads will increase your likelihood of getting cell coverage but don't be surprised if you have nothing. :nomouth:

MikeO

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Sweden
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Olofsson
Member #

My experience in Sweden/Norway/Denmark (even the interior of Iceland) is that the main roads have fair to good coverage, even in rural areas. If there isn't coverage just find high ground. Even when dog sledding in the far north in the mountains and when it was at its worst at a cottage we could get off an SMS from a small hill a couple of hundred meters from the cottage. For emergencies it shouldn't be a problem unless you are really far away from people and need to evacuate.