Launch Member

Explorer I

Marlboro Township, NJ, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Beauchea
Member #

Im happier without service. I hear mixed things about all of them though.
Agree with this. I do carry a Garmin In Reach though. At least if there's an emergency I know it'll work and I can still use it to check in with my wife and such when needed.

Advocate I

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Wade
Last Name
Jackman
Member #

Agree with this. I do carry a Garmin In Reach though. At least if there's an emergency I know it'll work and I can still use it to check in with my wife and such when needed.
Same here. I bought the explorer + years ago for some backpacking. Really nice to have it as a backup, especially when we head out as a family.

Reactions: 4L_Warrior

ProtonDecay

Rank V

Influencer II

In my mind I am always at a remote high-elevation lake surrounded by snowcapped peaks.
First Name
Derek
Last Name
Riehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6NUI
We've been very happy with the WeBoost Destination RV - have about 20k miles in western states and Baja California, and as long as there's a useable signal it will almost always make an improvement in throughput.

Basics
- a bit pricey at $649, but after pricing the individual components it isn't too far off and they should get some compensation for putting things together
- you get all the required pieces (antenna, mast, amplifier, broadcaster, power supply, cables, mounts, etc.)
- the mast is extendable, up to about 24 feet, which has a huge impact on performance
- the actual antenna is a Yagi type that is tuned to approx 700Mhz to 2.7Ghz, which covers most cell, including 5G (but not all, check your provider to see which bands they use) and generally yields a 7-9db gain in the center of the band for each driven element (look up 31445 directional antenna for full specs)
- the amplifier is max 65db gain and takes 4.5v DC
- they may have a 12v power option now, but the one we have is 110v, so we have to turn on the inverter to use it - power draw is fairly small <25w at 110v

Pros
- can increase signal strength as long as there is a signal to be found - usually results in improved reception, typically several multiples of speed of whatever you're getting without
- even if you can't get a signal on the ground, sometimes putting the mast up will let you connect
- generates lots of discussion with other campers, if you like that kind of thing - even with they guys from JPL that do satellite antennas
- because it is directional and has a decent amplifier it seems to do a better job than the omnidirectional options, but that's just from discussion with others who have the omni
- I guess you could also hang your favorite (lightweight) flag off of it and let others know more about you
- the broadcast unit works best the closer you are, but anything up to 20' in front will benefit, and no limit on the number of devices
- no "registration", "subscription", or other type of lock-in connection is required - set it up and use it
- the support people are wonderful - I ripped the cowl off of the antenna going through some tree limbs and they replaced under warranty (I offered to pay - my fault)

Cons
- it will not improve latency - if your ping is 375ms without, it will still likely be 375ms even if you have 5 bars, but it will improve jitter, which is equally relevant to performance/experience
- almost requires use of a cell/wifi app with a map, to help you point the antenna close enough to the right direction - you can go without in a pinch
- pretty much requires setup/takedown (about 10 minutes) to use, so is not practical for quick stops, and doesn't really work at all while underway - get an omni if you want that
- depending on how you install it you might need a ladder to make things work right (we carry anyway, but YMMV)
- you need to be in front of and within a few feet of the broadcast unit (let's say 20') - our HQ15 is a pretty good faraday cage, so we move the broadcast unit inside when needed

Anyway, here's a pic of it on the back of our trailer. It is holding up quite well considering the abuse we throw at it:
Antenna Mast 20220207_155105.jpg

Here's a pic of how I mounted ($10 in pipe hangers, nuts/bolts and thread locker):
Antenna Mount 20220207_155131.jpg

Reactions: Desert Runner

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
About 6 weeks ago I installed a Weboost Drive Reach OTR. I was skeptical so hadn't purchased one especially at the list price and I deal with them at work with mixed results, but I got one slightly used for a good price in a random deal. It absolutely works; you don't get service where there isn't any but it takes a marginal signal and makes it usable. Key detail: put the exterior antenna and the interior antenna as far apart as you can to prevent a feedback loop that actually causes the unit to shut itself off to avoid actually degrading your service. For example, my exterior antenna is on my rear fender next to my (truck) tailgate and the inside antenna is near the dash for the best use for my tablet (pay attention to the distances from inside antenna to cellular device in the instructions). Basically, my two antennas are just about at maximum cable length from each other as possible. I have measured with some test equipment at work and my signal increases by 20-25 dB with the booster on. For those that don't work with Decibels, each 3dB increase doubles your signal strength so that's about 100+ times more power in the signal strength. I'm sold.

Reactions: Jim SoG

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
The key part of this is...marginal signal. A lot of places in Colorado have virtually zero signal and you have to have a signal to start with. This is especially true in the mountains. A booster is no guarantee to get you cell service.

Reactions: kilby

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
The key part of this is...marginal signal. A lot of places in Colorado have virtually zero signal and you have to have a signal to start with. This is especially true in the mountains. A booster is no guarantee to get you cell service.
Exactly.