Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I've had the weBoost Drive 4G-X OTR for 2.5 years and consider it well worthwhile. I've tested it when back country and in low-signal areas all over the country and can watch it double and triple my signal. Can make a lot of difference in load speeds for files and maintaining communication via text and email etc.

When camped some places--most memorably along the Gulf of Mexico in Texas--I've had a short line of folks waiting to sit in the cab of my van so they could get online with a stronger signal. It won't create a signal, but does definitely boost one when used correctly. It more easily finds existing cell signals from surrounding towers, boosts it, and creates a stronger signal inside the vehicle. It does not create a wi-fi signal, like some seem to think.

I've found it important to keep the outside and inside antennas spread apart and separated by the body of your vehicle as much as possible, or it creates a feedback sort of loop, though I realize that may not be the right term.

I keep the outside antenna at the rear of my van, the booster on the back of a bulkhead about two feet behind the driver's seat, and the inside antenna tucked into the back of my headliner. That way I can move the inside antenna about from the headliner to between the seats or to the 'living area' of the van. It often makes a difference what angle/proximity your inside antenna is to your device, sometimes even just in small amounts.

I sometimes, not always, notice a decrease in boost efficiency when I have the rear doors open and am sitting in the back closer to the open doors (outside antenna is mounted to a magnetic CB antenna base right over the rear doors) and I'm between the inside and outside antennas.

All in all, it's definitely helped me be more productive (photography files uploaded, etc) and to stay better connected when needed while adventuring.

weBoost 4G-X OTR parts.png

I like my outside antenna being on a strong magnetic base, so I can more easily remove it if needed.

I'd read the end-user reviews on different sites that sell cell signal boosters for other's experiences and tips, too. They were helpful to me when 1st deciding how to set up mine.

Hope that helps. I see the price has not gone up since I purchased mine 2.5 years ago.

Last edited:

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I bought the WeBoost Drive X and then upgraded that setup with the Truck and RV External Antenna and the Desktop Antenna and love my setup. I guess it's similar to what @Road has. My main reason for buying it was so I could have service in the MS Woods where I hunt near Goodman, MS. My signal there with Verizon is very weak but with the WeBoost turned on I can send pictures and make phone calls that don't drop off. I also found it very useful while driving down the highway where there were no major towns nearby to pick up radio stations. I just turn the WeBoost on and open up iHeartRadio and listen to music without interruption! It also helps while camping in remote areas. All in all I say it is well worth the investment. I have my external antenna mounted at the back of my truck and the Desktop Antenna mounted on my dash.

Amazon.com: Wilson Desktop Cellular Antenna 700 2100 Mhz With 5 Foot Cable and SMA Male Connector

Reactions: Road

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
It is nice heading across Wyoming on I80 but in the Colorado mountains where I tend to go, it is of no help.

Clarkk

Rank I

Enthusiast I

USA
First Name
Kenneth
Last Name
Clark
I have purchased this weBoost cell phone booster on Amazon. It has been working great for the past few trips from the Dallas area to Sedona and Big Bend National Park. On our way to Sedona, I worked and never dropped signal/VPN which I did before in my many trips through the area especially going through NM on I40. Overall very impressed with its ability to get a stronger signal when present. Installation was easy enough with plenty of wire. I plugged it into a 12v plug to make it easy but may hardwire it to a switch now that I know it works.

Last edited:

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
I will throw in for weBoost also, has mad a huge difference with that marginal signal.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We installed the WeBoost for Truckers on our JK and so far have not seen much of a difference in signal strength. Have the outdoor antenna mounted on the left rear corner of the roof rack on a folding mount, and the internal antenna mounted on the dash below the heater controls. Defiantly did not get the increase that we expected. We both have older non 5G phones and think that may be most of the issue as we have lost signal strength in general as the 5G becomes more prevalent. Will be switching phones in a month or two and see if that makes a difference before we make a final determination.

TheBison

Rank V

Trail Blazer III

Hartsel, CO
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Foltz
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AA0BF / WRMI426
Service Branch
U.S. Army
+1 for the Weboost OTR. Unlike @old_man , I have found it very beneficial in the Colorado mountains on my daily commute. Without the Weboost I only have cell service for about 1/3 of my commute; with the Weboost I only lose cell service for maybe 5% of the daily drive.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Another +1 for WeBoost. I've installed the base car model(idk what they're specifically called off the top of my head) on a company car for a guy working on the field. He had a lot of trouble before adding it in. Once we installed it, he would pick up a bar or two and sometimes found signal in places he normally didn't. I plan on getting the RV sized one where I don't need a phone cradle and can use it for multiple phones at once. It's the same one most everyone gets.