CB Radio install help in North county San diego.

• HTML tutorial

Nick Carenza

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

San Diego, California
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Carenza
Member #

Hey, I'm wondering if someone can help me finish off my CB radio install. I've mounted the antenna and now need to wire up the radio. Ive watched videos and read articles and just don't feel comfortable with the electronics part.

Thanks,
Nick

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I had a lighter socket plug on my CB Radio and just plugged it into the lighter when I wanted to use it.

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
If you’re looking to wire it directly to your battery, it is very easy. Red wire to the positive post(+). Black wire to the negative post (-). That is the preferred way, but honestly, I’ve never had any issues using a lighter plug as @Graeman already suggested.

Nick Carenza

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

San Diego, California
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Carenza
Member #

I've actually already got auxillary leads from the battery under the glove compartment that came prewired to switches on the center dash. I think I also need to saulder the coax into the connector or something because otherwise it just kind of loosely fits in there. Then I need to find a clean way of wiring the negative lead to a paintless part of the chassis as the instructions suggest.

Nick Carenza

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

San Diego, California
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Carenza
Member #

@Jku Ben Helped me get everything wired yesterday. It took a while to find a route for the wire from the cabin to the battery but we ended up using a drain plug and that worked out well. He had the components and tools to splice the power wire to an extension that could reach the battery and shielded it in some tubing. Then we wired the ground to a bolt connected to the chassis.

Thanks again @Jku Ben !

S

SubeeBen

@Jku Ben Helped me get everything wired yesterday. It took a while to find a route for the wire from the cabin to the battery but we ended up using a drain plug and that worked out well. He had the components and tools to splice the power wire to an extension that could reach the battery and shielded it in some tubing. Then we wired the ground to a bolt connected to the chassis.

Thanks again @Jku Ben !
Not a problem. Glad to have met you & your dad. Happy trails.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
If you haven't already done so, I would also get a SWR Reader so you can calibrate your antenna for best results/performance/safety of your CB.