CB, Ham, or Satellite Phone

• HTML tutorial

jiberjiber

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

So I'm just getting in to overlanding, finally finishing up my setup and I've had some worries about getting into emergencies.

I have a CB installed from a long time ago, recently upgraded to a newer Cobra, and can't get very good range even on open road. I've been doing some research on Ham vs CB and never really got anywhere because they both have their pros and cons. It occurred to me just a few minutes ago that satellite phones are also a thing.

After some quick googling, I could get a relatively good looking phone with service for about $50 per month. This website has a deal going for their Inmarsat IsatPhone 2 where you can get the device for free if purchased with a plan. The plan that goes for $50/month is a 60 minute and 0 text plan. I feel like that would be enough to talk to someone initially, and provide updates by calling again if need be.

Link to device and plan deal

I could probably go with less minutes and be okay, but on the off-chance something serious happens and I'm out of cell range and no one is within CB or ham range, this would be a great alternative.

Anyhow, my main question is has anyone had experience with something like this, or any opinion either way?

Reactions: Ben Kim

Square Foot

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, California, USA
First Name
steve
Last Name
vandel
Member #

I would not rely on CB or Ham for an emergency, but an inexpensive handheld Ham (Baofeng) is still worth having. The Sat phone deal seems pretty good. I don't know much about them, but assumed it would cost considerably more. Also check out the Garmin or Delorme InReach, which allows you to send text messages or SOS via satellite (monthly plan required). Another item to check is that you have gps when out of cell range. I have a dedicated gps receiver (Dual Electronics) that I can link my phone/tablet too so that I always have accurate positioning.

Reactions: APtrail2005

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Just search the threads for InReach or Spot
Spot also has 2-way text messaging with its new device. Cheaper than a Sat phone with a few other benefits more relevant to offroad. Lots of threads. Ham is very useful though. I have all 3.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

I have the inReach and will be keeping a very close eye on the new Spot device/service

Steve

lost again...
Founder 500
Launch Member

Traveler III

Lorain County, OH, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
None
Member #

According to sources, a new InReach will be released in June. That is why you are seeing the current model discounted on Amazon and REI

Reactions: Ben Kim

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
According to sources, a new InReach will be released in June. That is why you are seeing the current model discounted on Amazon and REI
It’s available, “shipping soon”. They had them at the Expo. Very small.

Reactions: Steve

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

For me it is their subscription pricing/features they need to work on, even the older devices are just fine in my mind.

It’s available, “shipping soon”. They had them at the Expo. Very small.
Where they at the Expo? I must have missed them.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
For me it is their subscription pricing/features they need to work on, even the older devices are just fine in my mind.
It is a value proposition. How much is your life worth and what are you willing to pay for peace of mind. The cheapest annual plan works fine for me. Could they be cheaper? Sure but I wouldn't expect to pay less than $10/month for the service. I wish tracking was included in the cheaper plan but it is easy for me to send updates to my wife with the free preset messages. Mine are: Safe in camp, starting our day, and breadcrumb. That alone can give folks a very good idea where we are and have been and those with access can ping the device anytime they want to.

Where they at the Expo? I must have missed them.
End of the row near the VisionX lights booth. Very close to the 2nd daily parking lot.

CWu21

Rank IV
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Meridian, ID, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
A
Member #

I use the inreach when hunting. I forget the model but it's the upgraded with maps. Before I set out in the am I set it to tracking that way my wife was able to track me if she wanted to. Have the opportunity to text message at the end of the day in a very remote area was a pretty cool feature too. I paid a little more fore the month by month subscription since I only use during hunting season. It is a good option if you want piece of mind.

Mark1986

Rank 0

Traveler I

I have all 3 as well. But I did not go with the Inmarsat. I went with the Iridium. I didn't buy my phone new though, I got it from an eBay store with a very high user feedback rating. I got a 9505A Iridium, it is older, but it came with a water tight case, new battery, and is in great condition (9/10). I went with the Iridium because of the number of satellites in orbit, 95 actual units, with 66 active. The inactive serve as backups. Iridium is more expensive, but I think is a better service.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
So I'm just getting in to overlanding, finally finishing up my setup and I've had some worries about getting into emergencies.

I have a CB installed from a long time ago, recently upgraded to a newer Cobra, and can't get very good range even on open road. I've been doing some research on Ham vs CB and never really got anywhere because they both have their pros and cons. It occurred to me just a few minutes ago that satellite phones are also a thing.

After some quick googling, I could get a relatively good looking phone with service for about $50 per month. This website has a deal going for their Inmarsat IsatPhone 2 where you can get the device for free if purchased with a plan. The plan that goes for $50/month is a 60 minute and 0 text plan. I feel like that would be enough to talk to someone initially, and provide updates by calling again if need be.

I could probably go with less minutes and be okay, but on the off-chance something serious happens and I'm out of cell range and no one is within CB or ham range, this would be a great alternative.

Anyhow, my main question is has anyone had experience with something like this, or any opinion either way?
Please do some research on the forum for comms. There is a huge difference between CB and Ham and also GMRS. In Texas there are lots of clubs moving in the direction of GMRS.

bendts

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

A Pasture in Wisconsin
First Name
Bendt
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N0WTR

I would think it sorta depends on what type of Emergency you have - And what some may consider an Emergency -Facebook is down vs. Broken Leg(s).:grin:

If you roll your vehicle down a Ditch/Ravine and are trapped inside - one of the Inreach devices or a SAT Phone will probably be good to have as the external Ham and CB antennas will most likely be busted off (handhelds would most likely be useless). The caveat to that though is can you/or anyone else get to the Sat Phone or Inreach to use it? Is it mounted on the Dash or is it packed away in the back?

Same if your out and about - Bust a leg, Bit by a snake, trapped by a boulder... Just tossing out examples.

For Ham and CB to work you have to have a good antenna/coax set-up - the cheap "just get by" stuff will fail you when you need it, and really doen't work well from the start anyway. And FRS/GMRS - while I have some, are really not suited for emergency in my view, other than very local campground comms. they just don't have the range. While there are GMRS repeaters out there, you also have too (are supposed too) have a License to use them - Just like HAM.

There are 20,490 HAM repeaters in the lower 48 vs. 1302 GMRS repeaters - Now while not all those HAM repeaters are open (some are closed, and data links), I'm pretty sure one could be accessed if needed. That is one of the main ideals behind HAM - Emergency's.
GMRS - https://www.mygmrs.com/browse
HAM - https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/index.php?state_id=none

Also there is the Monthly Fee. If you are only going to use a Sat Phone for maybe 3-6 weeks out of the year, do you still have to pay for the year? - Same with the Inreach devices.

Just my .02

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

It's always good to have back ups!