CB and GMRS radios sharing mounts & mics (not antennas)

• HTML tutorial

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Why would you want to use both a CB and GMRS? I thought that the CB radio is pretty short range and has a lot of interference. Sorry if pretty offtopic. I was thinking only going with GMRS, when I get to that point.
The reason I run CB, GMRS, and Ham is because not everyone is on board with Ham... ham is by far the most superior form of communication device.

Reactions: Sparksalot

Downs

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Hunt County Texas
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
Why would you want to use both a CB and GMRS? I thought that the CB radio is pretty short range and has a lot of interference. Sorry if pretty offtopic. I was thinking only going with GMRS, when I get to that point.
The landscape of communications in nearly all off road communities is pretty factured. You have groups that still cling to CB, a growing crowd using GMRS and the nerds among us using HAM.

I'm setup for all 3 just for this reason on my XJ. In my CJ I'm only setup for GMRS as that's what our local club uses and the CJ is mostly used here around town in the local area.

Waaazooo

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Middle River, MD, USA
First Name
Waz
Last Name
Zoo
Member #

It really depends on the group you’re with. I understand there are a few that hang on to CB. I have one, but haven’t even heard truckers in a couple of years. Gmrs with the die hard no way I’m getting a ham group, and ham otherwise.
I understand.. I don’t see myself investing the time for HAM. I’m on the midatlantic... not sure the need is entirely there.