Launch Member

Creator III

Wallasey, Wirral. UK
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Burt
Member #

What's your thoughts guys, canned food or packets?

I was having a discussion about weight and space saving a while ago and we got into talking about the pros and cons of cans (most often round ones) vs soft packets, both in terms of weight saving and space saving, and just couldn't agree ......
Weight saving probably isn't a great deal, but could be if packing for a longer "off grid" trip, or in a smaller vehicle with a low(er) load capacity, but a box full of round tins is just wasting space, so we usually try to stock packet foods, either ready to cook or re-heat or dried, just add water because they pack with less wasted space between the packs.

Maybe I'm over thinking it ..... :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Ditch

Merk

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Renton, WA
Member #

I usually end up with both on board... But more bags than cans.
But also.. I usually only break out the grill for dinner. The rest is backpacking meals with a jet boil, and cold cuts from the cooler

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

A lot of times I’ll repackage canned food like refried beans into vacuum sealed bags and store them in the fridge. This ends up saving room packing dry stuff though it takes up a little room in the fridge. Repackaging canned food this way also allows me to cook the bag in boiling water and saves time cleaning and less bulky trash. I cook a lot of leftovers like this anyway, so usually I’ll just toss the different bags in the pot and cook everything at once.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

HEYElliott

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Markham, Ontario, Canada
Member #

I like packet foods but often theyre crazy high on the salt. I bought a dehydrator and began making my own trail meals. Beef and pasta makes a good combo.

ArkansasDon

Rank V
Launch Member

Member I

This is one reason why built my overland trailer to fit me & the wife's needs. I invested my money on 12v. Engel fridg\freez, K2 roto-molded cooler, the dry good containers, all the cook & camp gear. Hard day exploring spending time deep off grid, we want to eat good. The wife & I am all about fresh ingredients: fresh beef, pork, chicken, vegetables & cold a beverage to end the day.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I'm with @ArkansasDon on food. 50qt 12v fridge/freezer, dry goods box, and a good store of fresh meats, veggies, and refreshments.

With a good 12v fridge/freezer you can keep stuff a long time off-grid without worry of needing more ice. I've been testing mine the last week running only from the cranking battery on my van, plugged in 24/7. No solar, no 110, just the cranking battery. Hasn't kept me from starting my vehicle one bit, it is so efficient and has a built-in low power consumption if it senses the battery has dropped below a certain voltage.

Cort

Rank VI
Launch Member

Trail Blazer III

Grand Rapids
First Name
Cort
Last Name
Beard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD8GQL
I like packet foods but often theyre crazy high on the salt. I bought a dehydrator and began making my own trail meals. Beef and pasta makes a good combo.
Check out Good to Go foods and packit gourmet, most are far lower in sodium and much higher quality(and tasty) compared to the big box names like mountain house, alpine air and backpackers pantry.

The 12v fridges are really nice, I’ve been on the fence for awhile on getting one but for now I use a yeti cooler and a combo of dry ice and cube ice. A key to any cooler and I am sure the 12v fridges is to get in and out of them fast and make sure they seal well.

With normal use I can keep my food chilled to safe temps with one load of dry ice and a couple 20lb bags for 10 days during spring and fall, a little less in the summer.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Check out Good to Go foods and packit gourmet, most are far lower in sodium and much higher quality(and tasty) compared to the big box names like mountain house, alpine air and backpackers pantry.

The 12v fridges are really nice, I’ve been on the fence for awhile on getting one but for now I use a yeti cooler and a combo of dry ice and cube ice. A key to any cooler and I am sure the 12v fridges is to get in and out of them fast and make sure they seal well.

With normal use I can keep my food chilled to safe temps with one load of dry ice and a couple 20lb bags for 10 days during spring and fall, a little less in the summer.
Good tips on the packed food. Great length on your dry ice/ice combo, too.

Yep, re: 12v fridge or coolers, in and out quick. Another thing I have found really handy for 12v or ice chilled coolers is to have on hand a bunch of freezer packs, gel style or hard, and fill up any extra space with them. I take out a can of beer and some meat, for example, I replace them with gel freezer bags. I keep a box of them on the side by the fridge and when there are a bunch in there, shaded from the sun, it's surprising how well chilled they stay on their own outside of the cooler until needed. I also keep a couple 8x12 sheets of freezer gel, blue on one side, silver on the other, to cover the top of all my food, then just peel back whichever end I need to get what I want. That helps keep the cold in a lot, too.

Reactions: Lindenwood and Cort

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I find canned food is usually better tasting without spending $7 per meal, but yeah carrying canned food is like carrying canned water.

If I am really concerned about calorie density, I will pack things like packaged meats and especially small jars of peanuts that will have several times the energy density of regular cans of soup and chili.

But, I definitely agree with the above that packing your own meals in bags, or even vacuum sealing them, is about the best of all worlds.

Reactions: Ditch and Cort

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

To those who are packing their own meals,

Do you have any mix recipes that you can buy in bulk and portion out that work well for you to share?

I grew up hiking on 10 for a dollar Ramen noodles with added dried peas, dried corn, spicy Mrs. Dash, and sometimes a hard boiled egg. Other option was Mac&Cheez with chopped up Jerky, beef sticks or pepperoni. These days both are way to salty to be good for me, so I'm looking for other options with lower salt (for me) and maybe processed sweetener free, Vegetarian or Gluten free (so I can share with various partners that I camp with.)

Thanks @Cort for the pointers to Good to Go foods and Packit Gourmet these both look like good options but at $6-7 per serving going to be difficult to swing cost wise for more than a couple of trips a year.

Boort

Reactions: Ditch and Cort

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I pack the Engel with meats,fresh vegetables and dairy. I mix canned beans and vegetables and fruit. This all goes first. The meals in a bag are for emergency and for people who did not pack enough for their trip.

Reactions: Ditch and nickburt

Ditch

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

New Park, Pennsylvania
Member #

I have found that packing light allows for more supplies. Never know when there will be an extra day added to your trip, or an emergency that keeps you in the bush or off road longer than expected. Then too, how many times have you all had someone either run low on their supplies, or just walk into your camp and express how wonderful your meal smells? LOL - time to share a bite, right?

I absolutely agree with the dry goods, or freeze dried foods. So much can be done there. I will carry a large base bag with vacuum sealed items like rice, pastas, potato flakes, gravy mixes, powdered milk, powdered cheddar cheese, powdered butter, powdered eggs, dried veggies, dried fruits, hot cereals, complete pancake mix, etc. So many items that suit your taste can be stored.

"Boort" mentioned buying in bulk . . . I buy number 10 cans of items from 'Honeyville, Inc.' * that I size down to my needs and vacuum seal those for my base camp bag. I have saved so much cash my friends. Foods can be enhanced with herbs to reduce sugar and salt in what you eat as well.

I've read here that many use gel ice to keep things refrigerated. I may have missed a post somewhere, but if you need to have clean water to reconstitute your dried foods anyway, why not freeze water bottles (frozen upside down)** and store them in your coolers and fridge boxes. You can use smaller bottles to pack into small areas.

Now for long term ice in your boxes/coolers, freeze large flat plastic trays of water suitable for your cooler size. The larger the block of ice, the longer it takes to melt. If placed into sealed plastic bags into your cooler, you can use the water as it melts. Waste not! I would also recommend a water filter for melted water or any water spilled from a bottle that lays in the cooler. Open the spout of the cooler into your filter and reuse that water. If not for consumption, at least for cleaning up.

* https://honeyville.com/

** Freezing water in plastic bottles:
If you freeze water in the plastic bottles upright, as the water starts to melt, it will erupt out of the top like a volcano, thus wasting your water.
BUT ... if you freeze the bottles inverted (upside down), then store them in your cooler that way, as they melt down and you turn them upright to use, the water will not explode from the opening. Water is a precious thing in the outdoors.

Hope this wasn't repetitive.