Jack
Last Name
Coleman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K7JDC
Service Branch
US Army
Jim, I've been waiting to travel to Arizona for more years than most of the members here have been alive. I'm pig-headed and not letting this debacle keep me from going. I'm heading from Northern Georgia to do the AZBDR next Wednesday morning, Lord willing. Round trip and doing the AZBDR will be 4,222 miles. I'm 60 and not getting any younger, so to cancel this trip I'd have to throw out my back before Wednesday.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Not going to stay home. I'm cutting back on my trips radius a ton, and switching to other hobbies.

More time wheeling rental horses from the local rescue. The original overlanding ride.
Have horses and while I am ready for the zombie apocalypse they are way more expensive then my rig!! Waaaaayyyyy more!
Renting vs Owning in the horse equation and renting wins everytime!!! And the price of hay, don’t even get me started :joycat:

Reactions: FishinCrzy

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
USD 2000 in 2 weeks? Wow - that’s USD 143 per day.

On our trip to Iceland last year we spent USD 823 in 5 weeks - USD 29 a day on average, and we covered significantly more distance overall than our average. Fuel price in Iceland was around USD 7 per gallon.

How far are you travelling each day, on average?
damn...$7 a gallon in iceland...guess i shouldnt complain too much since we are still about half of that.
louisiana is great if youre boating, and the swamps are especially neat to see, but there is nothing in the state as far as camping goes, so most of our really good trips require a lot of driving, especially if we are going out west. from my house to santa fe, nm is around 1200 miles and at 10mpg, i'm burning 120 gallons just to get there. we usually hit santa fe and taos and work our way to durango and then to moab and down to zion and work our way into arizona (mainly sedona) and then do a little desert camping in nm and then shoot back home. so, some days i'll log in 1000-1200 miles and some days we might find a good spot and stay more local, doing 100 miles or less a day. and then maybe another big push to get somewhere else. the wife and i like to hike a lot, but when its over 100 degrees out, we tend to drive more and sightsee from a moving and air conditioned vehicle....which means burning more fuel.
i did a run to phoenix, az 3 yrs ago pulling a u-haul with my tundra moving my step-daughter and drove straight thru...it was over 1500 miles and took 22 hrs...at todays fuel prices, i would spend $700 in one day on fuel. pretty crazy

here is something to ponder: i bought a new tundra in 2018 for around $43K. say gas stays around $4 gal. i put 100,000 miles on the truck and at 10mpg, that's 10,000 gal of fuel at $4 a gal...$40,000 in fuel. so....if i put 100,000 miles on my tundra, at that point i would have spent just as much on fuel as i did the vehicle....:disrelieved:

Last edited:

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Yep, just signed on for a week long float fishing trip down the Middle Salmon, Idaho. Mo money, mo money, mo money! Don't care! I wasn't planning on dying rich anyway. Putin's going to pull the plug on life as we know it anyway, JK, hope not. Like @OldManJack said, "we ain't getting any younger" and I'm older than he is! Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness is something I really want to do and now is the time.

I may well maximize the time out there if things go well. I cut short my trip out there last year at five weeks due to a convergence of things and just listening to that little voice. Mostly it was covid heating up again. Had the first two shots but really didn't want to get sick out there. If it's just a money thing this year I'll come up with the extra 1K for gas even though it hurts. Maybe less yahoos in Colorado this year? Wyoming and Idaho didn't seem too crowded. At least when one got away from the popular attractions and larger towns. It's usually easy to find secluded camping and fishing out there.

OcoeeG

Rank II

Enthusiast III

SE TN
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Gee
Yep, just signed on for a week long float fishing trip down the Middle Salmon, Idaho. Mo money, mo money, mo money! Don't care! I wasn't planning on dying rich anyway. Putin's going to pull the plug on life as we know it anyway, JK, hope not. Like @OldManJack said, "we ain't getting any younger" and I'm older than he is! Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness is something I really want to do and now is the time.

You are going to love the middle fork!! I have only been once in early June and it was crazy high. Would love to go back when the fishing is good. One of these days!

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Going in August. Water is usually pretty low then. Sometimes they have to fly you in down river if it's too low. Looks like lots of interesting streams to check out in Central Idaho. Don't think I get bored.

Reactions: OldManJack

John Bishop

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Harpers Ferry, WV, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Bishop
Member #

Also, I know this doesn’t help much while we’re in the middle of a crisis, but when things calm down, take a hard look at your financial plan. Before you add another cool gimmick to your rig, pay off the dang vehicle and any other debt as quickly as possible. Then invest, pile up cash, live within a defined budget and save the full cost of any future purchases. When the next crisis arrives, you’ll sleep better knowing you’re prepared. Call me a financial prepper or whatever, but I’ll be on the road this summer.
Peace out!
Channeling your innner Dave Ramsey? :smile:
I 200% agree with you.

Reactions: Sparksalot

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Makes me glad I overland in a 4 cylinder 99 Honda CR-V. If life gives me the chance at a significant trip this year, I won't let the gas prices stop me.

ZombieCat

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Maryland
First Name
Adventure
Last Name
Awaits!
Member #

Also, I know this doesn’t help much while we’re in the middle of a crisis, but when things calm down, take a hard look at your financial plan. Before you add another cool gimmick to your rig, pay off the dang vehicle and any other debt as quickly as possible. Then invest, pile up cash, live within a defined budget and save the full cost of any future purchases. When the next crisis arrives, you’ll sleep better knowing you’re prepared. Call me a financial prepper or whatever, but I’ll be on the road this summer.
Peace out!
Channeling your innner Dave Ramsey? :smile:
I 200% agree with you.
I was Dave when Dave wasn’t cool…heck, I didn’t even know he existed back then, but I had a great mentor who set me on the right path. No rice and beans, but a whole lot of ramen.

Reactions: John Bishop

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

We need these trips! We aren't getting any younger and both took jobs to make trips around the country possible. Just glad we have a small car for the non overlanding road trip that gets 40 mpg. Our overlanding trips are within our home state of Colorado.

Two Sheds

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Hayden, Idaho, United States
First Name
Andy
Last Name
Jacobson
Member #

Well, some of us were forced into retiring before we were ready ( medical) after having my own biz for almost 30 yrs.To now be on a fixed income…let’s just say we definitely feel the effects of this AssClowninChief as his choices..