Can a hitch mount tire carrier take real abuse?

• HTML tutorial

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
I’ve found several references to people being happy with their hitch mounted tire carriers, but I find it so hard to imagine that one could really take the punishment of heavy duty off road use. I mean, the way my stuff gets shaken around bouncing down forest and desert roads seems like the rotational force placed on the hitch receiver by the wheel wanting to move left and right would just be too much. Anybody have any experience they would share? Thanks for your time.

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
I built mine from a bike carrier. I attached a spare tire bracket from Amazon and a hitch extender and a double hitch receiver. It still holds two bikes if I want it to. I added some hitch shims to stop it from rattling or bouncing. Works pretty well so far.

Attachments

Reactions: RedRob

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i bought a swing-a-way hitch mount but instead of using it for a tire, i put a tray on it and carried my full ice chest and 2 jerry cans full of fuel. probably close to 150 lbs worth of payload and it did fine. we had it out at black gap (west texas) and it got bounced around plenty with all that weight and never had a problem. i bought a cheaper one, so i'm sure the more expensive versions, like rigid, would do excellent. i guess a solid mount would be stronger, but i really like the swing away so i can get into the back of the truck without having to remove the carrier.
so yeah, i would definitely trust a hitch mount carrier

1660684213257.jpeg

Last edited: