Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bellingham, MA, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Cunniff
Member #

A friend of mine is going to hike up Mnt Washington for his birthday. I’m not familiar with the area. He will be car camping. What’s a good campground for him to set up a Basecamp? Thanks!
I did a very quick search, and there isn't too much right around Mount Washington. Again, real quick search. Try HipCamp, might get lucky, plenty of land in the area, maybe someone has something listed.

Some sites in the area (you'll need to drive to the trailhead)
USFS
Barnes Field Campground
Dolly Copp

NHSP
Crawford Notch State Park
Dry River Campground

If you do find something please share.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I did a very quick search, and there isn't too much right around Mount Washington. Again, real quick search. Try HipCamp, might get lucky, plenty of land in the area, maybe someone has something listed.

Some sites in the area (you'll need to drive to the trailhead)
USFS
Barnes Field Campground
Dolly Copp

NHSP
Crawford Notch State Park
Dry River Campground

If you do find something please share.
I will forward this info to him, thank you !

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Time of year? If after mud season and gates are open, then a few spots around. Closest Auto-Road side and laid back (rustic) is Barnes Field . It's a group camp with water & pit toilet. Dolly Copp has gone commercial (paved). Last time up there (2021) they said I couldn't stay because I hadn't reserved the site.. The place was empty! We had to move to Dolly Copp proper which was packed. Check and reserve if need be. Some nice sites IMHO over there.

Tram-side, there are a few spots along the north end of Jefferson Notch Road. These are FC/FS and fill in quickly if you drive up for a weekend. Maybe a fire ring, but nothing else and some sites are tight.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Time of year? If after mud season and gates are open, then a few spots around. Closest Auto-Road side and laid back (rustic) is Barnes Field . It's a group camp with water & pit toilet. Dolly Copp has gone commercial (paved). Last time up there (2021) they said I couldn't stay because I hadn't reserved the site.. The place was empty! We had to move to Dolly Copp proper which was packed. Check and reserve if need be. Some nice sites IMHO over there.

Tram-side, there are a few spots along the north end of Jefferson Notch Road. These are FC/FS and fill in quickly if you drive up for a weekend. Maybe a fire ring, but nothing else and some sites are tight.
Thanks; my friend plans on hiking up to the top of the mountain mid June to celebrate his 60th birthday.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Thanks; my friend plans on hiking up to the top of the mountain mid June to celebrate his 60th birthday.
Should be good on either side! I like tramside to summit & auto-road side for the 'Bowl'. My knees are past hiking there any longer so do post a pic or two!
My cousin just brought his kids up to ski Tuck's last week and had one of those few awesome days up there!

Enjoy!

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Mid June you should be good. Most of the local schools are still in session.

Evan's Notch is a bit further of a drive (about 25-35mins from MT Washington) then what has been mentioned so far. They have 5 campgrounds plus some first come first served that is off RT113 ME

EDIT: Corrected Road Name

Last edited:

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

Mid June you should be good. Most of the local schools are still in session.

Evan's Notch is a bit further of a drive (about 25-35mins from MT Washington) then what has been mentioned so far. They have 5 campgrounds plus some first come first served that is off RT13
Probably a typo, but ME113.. Don't know when you've been up there as of late, but last year Bull Brook FC/FS is closed. I have not seen a potential date of re-openning nor how they will. With it being cleared from logging, it makes another potential NF CG possible.
And yes, there are a few other spots, yet the pressure on those is going to be high...

I really like ME113 (Evans Notch) and have no issues with the NFCG's there. Theirs a new host at Wild River which I've heard conflicting comments about, so if you go there before me please post.

To the OP, Wild River is 5 odd miles down a dirt road. If you're looking for a night-over along ME113 and working Mt Washington, I suggest Hastings NFCG. Good host there (if still) and clean CG.

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Probably a typo, but ME113.. ....
@RJ Howell thanks for the mistype catch I edited the post.

I haven't heard anything about the Wild River Campground host. Though I wasn't impressed with his/hers camp set up last year. Generator running the whole time. I am local to the area I mainly use Wild River Campground parking lot to hike into the wilderness area to camp with my kids.

The campsites on Little Larry Rd behind Hastings Campground tend to be open fairly regularly especially during the weekdays in June.

Haven't heard anything about Bull Brook either. Will be heading up there in a week or so to try and bike RT113 the kids before it opens to traffic for the season. Will see if there is any info posted

Reactions: RJ Howell

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

I always found, even with Bull Brook open, Larry's was full and I'm typically up there on Tues/Weds... I expect the pressure there to be even greater this year.

To the OP: I'd not rely on Little Larry Rd as there's ~ 7sites. If you want showers, I heard Dolly Copp proper was going that direction. You'd have to check it to be sure. If staying in Barnes Field, I'd expect to have use of the bath house (s).

Reactions: wigsajumper