enriquerrr

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fontana, CA, USA
First Name
enrique
Last Name
bechet
Hi Everyone, I want to buy a small trailer to encourage my kids to go outdoors and camping( they are 12 and 15) . I was planning to buy either a venturist Runaway or a Kong tiny camper trailer. I do not see to many reviews regarding the size 6x8 vs 5x8 trailers. What are the advantage getting a 5x8 vs 6x8? I will use my 2005 Mitsubishi Montero (5000lbs max tow cap) to pull trailer.
Thanks

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
@enriquerrr I have never had or used either type, nor any sort of camping trailer.

However, strictly in terms of physics and logic, a 5x8 will be lighter and smaller, making it easier to pull with a lightweight vehicle, at the expense of interior space for onboard equipment and occupants.

If both options are well within your vehicle's towing capacity and you aren't going to take it into tight places (such as out on the trail), all else being equal, you wouldn't be hurt by getting the 6x8, for the extra space. Navigational convenience would be expended in favor of potentially better outfitting, more space, and more comfort.

This could also quickly become an apples-to-oranges comparison if you consider vastly different types of trailers in the same size range. Some 5x8's could be better equipped than other 6x8's, for example, depending upon production year.

I would generally recommend the larger one for all purposes UNLESS you are specifically looking for that navigation advantage.

enriquerrr

Rank 0

Contributor I

Fontana, CA, USA
First Name
enrique
Last Name
bechet
@enriquerrr I have never had or used either type, nor any sort of camping trailer.

However, strictly in terms of physics and logic, a 5x8 will be lighter and smaller, making it easier to pull with a lightweight vehicle, at the expense of interior space for onboard equipment and occupants.

If both options are well within your vehicle's towing capacity and you aren't going to take it into tight places (such as out on the trail), all else being equal, you wouldn't be hurt by getting the 6x8, for the extra space. Navigational convenience would be expended in favor of potentially better outfitting, more space, and more comfort.

This could also quickly become an apples-to-oranges comparison if you consider vastly different types of trailers in the same size range. Some 5x8's could be better equipped than other 6x8's, for example, depending upon production year.

I would generally recommend the larger one for all purposes UNLESS you are specifically looking for that navigation advantage.
thanks for your post, this will be my first camper. I occasionally go off roading but I guess i don't need to be in crazy tight spaces as an beginner overlander. Here in California must be plenty of places to used. thanks again.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I got my trailer and LOVE IT! mine has a RTT on it and I dont even realize it is behind my Sequoia......

Mine was DIY and a great buy.

Jim

Travelinjohnnie

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Washington Township, NJ 08081, USA
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Whitten
Member #

We have a 5x9 Hiker Trailer and 2 adults fit with plenty of room. I like the 5ft width as it nearly matches the width of my tow vehicle so pulling it through tight spots is easier and my vision going backwards is not as compromised.
Either way... enjoy your time outdoors with the kids !

Reactions: D&D