Staff member

Member III

Falmouth, MA, USA
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Nova
Member #

Loved my Cabela’s Westwind-4, but recently upgraded to a Gazelle T4. Standing up in a tent at 6’4” is awesome! [emoji16]

Reactions: 91B/91S

lukes3415

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Townsville
Member #

I use the Blackwolf Ryebuck canvas swag as my tent. It is the perfect size to sit on the bed of my truck for the overnights/weekenders.

IMG_0880.JPG

bw17_ryebuck_open.jpg

Reactions: Jimmy P

BCJohn

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
Member #

I use a ARB SkyDome double swag , I really enjoy using it. Didn’t want a RTT . It’s simple and it’s perfect for my needs.
Just got a Rightline truck bed tent. Used it this week. With a homemade bed platform above the wheel wells, it worked great.

Attachments

Jrahn0822

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Wakefield, NE, USA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Rahn
Member #

I have an Jet Tent Maverick made by OzTent. It pretty awesome! Sets up about as fast as an RTT, has plenty of space to have a queen sized air mattress with a pelican case of clothes and 3 dogs and still have room. You can stand up in it as well. Also has an attached awning. It was my alternative to getting a RTT since 3 dogs and a RTT don't mix.

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

Currently using a very cheap camping tent but not very happy with it
On top of the list for next season is the "Heimplanet the cave"
Super easy set up geodesic structure, super high quality

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

1 person tents are great! Easy to keep heat in when camping in the winter time. Easy to vent as well. Not much time spent erecting or tearing down. Efficient camping!

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

When I use a tent, ( I usually sleep in the back of my truck in the camper shell), I have an old Eureka Zeus 2 EXO. It’s probably around 20 years old, but still holding up great. I’ve done many backpacking trips with it, and really like it. It’s supposedly a 2 person tent, but you would have to be really familiar with whoever you shared it with. For one person, it is perfect, with enough room inside to sleep and keep some gear.

MtnManAlex

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I use the REI Kingdom 4. Plenty of space for cots, dogs, gear, changing, or even setting up a comfortable office. Full rain fly. Aluminum poles. I’ve been using it for 4 years, and aside from a little wind damage when I didn’t use guy lines it has been very durable (surprising considering the shape). Setup is quick and easy, but if the trip requires packing and unpacking at a new location everyday or just a lighter load then I have an REI half dome 2 that works great.
IMG_0574.JPG
IMG_0714.JPG

Nick_Gomez81

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Land O' Lakes, FL, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Gomez
Member #

I am also a backpacker and as such I tend to use the tents that I use when my wife and I hit the backcountry. Typically a Kelty TN2 or if I am solo a Sixmoon’s Design Scout tent. Both simple and great in the rain. With that said, I will be getting a CVT eventually.

titicaca

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Calgary
Coming form backpacking background but I would still recommend to a non-backpacker a tent this is small, light, and good quality. It will handle rain, wind and cold much better. My wife recommended to her friend geting into car camping: "just go to REI and you can't go wrong!". Unfortunately they ended up with a two room walk-in, and ... they were cold, simply too much volume to warm up, so if you go where it gets cold, keep it small. 4-season one would perhaps be an overkill but would be very solid.

Last edited: