Jason
Last Name
Harris
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W6FTW
Service Branch
Navy Vet 1993-1997
I’ve been using a Camp Chef Everest 2 stove for a couple of years now. It has 40,000 BTU output, which is great compared to other brands. Is the Cook Partner stove better? It seems well built but doesn’t meet the BTU output of my current stove. I welcome user input. I’d like to know why so many use the Cook Partner.

Reactions: Coreymol

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I used a Camp Chef Everest for years. It is a nice stove for high altitude and wind. But IMO 40k btu (20k each) is too much. It is very challenging to get a low heat flame with the everest stove.

So I just recently got my Cook Partner stove and they are 10k btu each burner. That is plenty of heat. My most heat intensive need is my coleman folding oven. I can easily get it past 450F with the 10k burner.

The other HUGE factor for me was just good burners and burner control. The control valves on the cook partner are next level good. So easy to control the flame and get a nice low flame if you want it. They use some very different hardware than all the other stoves I have used/seen. They have a special propane regulator, hoses, knobs, needle valves, etc.

I ordered the 16" and cut the lid off and installed it in my drawers all plumbed up to 1 lb propane bottles under a little shelf. It is a great setup so far. Highly recommend. It did take me about 5 months to get my stove though. I just got it before the MOORE expo and I saw that some vendors had them in stock at the expo. oh well.

1649779609267.png
1649779706371.png
1649779724362.png

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
The difference between a Sears Kenmore Stove and a Wolf Stove is about $15,000. I'll gladly outcook any one on the Planet with the Sears. Bring it! LMAO
Seriously this industry is crazy and those with the money are diving it. $400 plow disk stoves and $600 popup tents are not helping those families that want to travel our great land and see what the Nation has to offer in beauty and education.
Zim

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I don't need a $500 stove for camping as I don't cook any fancy meals while camping, I mean it's camping. My Bass Pro stove works great for all I do and I picked it up for $100 in Bass Pro points so didn't cost me anything. I like that it has a 10K burner for cooking anything in a pot and a 8K burner over the grill area where I can indirectly cook small porkloins and it will be great for a Coleman Oven. I will eventually build my own skottle too for more fancier cooking once I get closer to retirement and travel more.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/bass-pro-shops-high-output-propane-grill-and-stove

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

Seems like a majority of gear threads end up like this. Someone asks a question. People present some ideas about different gear... and then someone chimes in that a basic/cheap version works just fine. Obviously that is true. In most cases you don't need the gear at all. Cooking on a fire is awesome but I enjoy being able to cook in any weather or fire restriction conditions. I admittedly have too much time to tinker with gear and optimize silly little things like time it takes to setup and use my stove or how much space it uses in my setup. Fact is I can't travel full time but I do have time to tinker with gear.

I'm on the side of ... gear is fun. Let people have their fun and enjoy high end gear if they want. None of it is keeping you from doing it in a budget way or enjoying the outdoors with your family. It isn't necessary to humble brag that you can do it cheaper or for free. Present good options, sure, but not every thread has to be about budget and why people think a fancy thing is silly.

If for you, the truest form of the hobby is going without, great. Get out and enjoy. But we can let people enjoy gear and be comfortable or whatever too. I just think it puts a sour tone on a thread when we do this.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I cook on the road like I cook at home, so I'll make mother sauces. Heat control is a big to me, I own lots of stoves and if I had purchased the first Partner, I don't think I would.

RJ Howell

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Auburn, NH USA
First Name
RJ
Last Name
Howell
Member #

The difference between a Sears Kenmore Stove and a Wolf Stove is about $15,000. I'll gladly outcook any one on the Planet with the Sears. Bring it! LMAO

Seriously this industry is crazy and those with the money are diving it. $400 plow disk stoves and $600 popup tents are not helping those families that want to travel our great land and see what the Nation has to offer in beauty and education.
Zim
That's a challenge gladly excepted. It's not the tool that makes a Master, it's the knowledge!
I agree the $$ are being driven up and it drives me nuts to see someone with an expensive stove ready to toss it to by another expensive stove just because others like it better..

Your food is not better because of the stove.. Maybe spend that money on a outdoor cooking class or better travel with someone like us and we'll show ya how! And on a cheap old Coleman stove.. Image then what it would taste like cooked on a Wolf.. LOL..

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

That's a challenge gladly excepted. It's not the tool that makes a Master, it's the knowledge!
I agree the $$ are being driven up and it drives me nuts to see someone with an expensive stove ready to toss it to by another expensive stove just because others like it better..

Your food is not better because of the stove.. Maybe spend that money on a outdoor cooking class or better travel with someone like us and we'll show ya how! And on a cheap old Coleman stove.. Image then what it would taste like cooked on a Wolf.. LOL..

To a certain degree I agree. Try tempering a eggs (Hollandaise) on a jet boil. There is a reason that a carpenter has different hammers. Technique and craftsmanship is far more important than a stove. Why take a outdoor cooking class when you can take cooking class and learn the science and technique. " What do you not like, the flavor or the texture, I can fix ether". There is little difference cooking on home stove and a camp stove. I eat better than most at home or on the road by choice.

I started with Seva stove as a kid backpacking, when I started car camping we picked up a Coleman 1 multi fuel to have a adjustable flame. I inherited my grandfathers Coleman 2 and 3 burners and converted to propane. I gave the Coleman1 burner to a friend who was overlanding on a bike. My wife gave me a Primus 2 burner as a xmas gift, use it for 20 plus years. I loaned it and it was left behind. I picked a Camp Chef, on the first camp of a 2 week trip one of the lines broke at a weld. I replaced with a Camp Partner. I love the Partner. I still have the sea, three burner, and I picked up a Dragon fly for backpacking. The 2 burner Coleman still lives with a godson.

Reactions: Desert Runner

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We go all out at home, my wife is an excellent amateur chef and since retirement I’ve learned to do quite a few things on our high end home stove/range. ( Not a wolf, or other top name, they along with other top names are of retail quality built to look like commercial, ours is commercial but looks right at home in our kitchen) At camp? We keep camp food simple and nutrishious, so, the old Coleman dual fuel does the job. Simple and nutrishious = less waste = leave no trace.

Mike W

Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Ankeny, IA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I bought something else that is totally unnecessary and silly for my over priced cook partner stove. I have had a coleman oven for awhile. The newer ones are all aluminum. They are fun for cooking pizza or cinnamon roles and such. I recently heard about the old ones and how they are steel. I ended up buying a coleman oven from the 1960's that was brand new in box.

It is USA made and feels so much nicer than the aluminum ones. It goes together better and feels a lot more solid. Talk about bougie.

1650134862159.png
1650134880993.png
1650134897370.png
Can you even buy leaded gas anywhere? LOL.

1650134926665.png

the newer ones look like this.
1650135044098.png

Attachments

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
I bought something else that is totally unnecessary and silly for my over priced cook partner stove. I have had a coleman oven for awhile. The newer ones are all aluminum. They are fun for cooking pizza or cinnamon roles and such. I recently heard about the old ones and how they are steel. I ended up buying a coleman oven from the 1960's that was brand new in box.

It is USA made and feels so much nicer than the aluminum ones. It goes together better and feels a lot more solid. Talk about bougie.

View attachment 228095
View attachment 228096
View attachment 228097
Can you even buy leaded gas anywhere? LOL.

View attachment 228098

the newer ones look like this.
View attachment 228100
We have one of the old green ones- does cookies & brownies really well!!