Caligirlnic

Rank IV

Enthusiast II

Bend, OR, USA
First Name
Nicci
Last Name
miller
Im currently looking to replace my stove. I have a Coleman Triton and Ive been looking at the Coleman Fryecadet and Sergeant but all reviews of both says that it burns too hot and even on low it burns hot and hard to regulate. Not looking to spend more than $200. Suggestions please!!

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
I love my camp chef mountaineer.. all aluminum design, super light, and fits large pots and pans with ease. 40k btu output, can't be beat

Gary Stevens

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Reseda California
Member #

My vote for the Everest also. Been through Colemans small and large. This is the right size, weight, and most important flame output BTU that will work in windy conditions. Solid build also.

Reactions: RainGoat

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
No on both counts. I bought a Camp Chef case for a different model. It stores a bunch of gear along with the stove. A 1 lb bottle would be possible with an adapter, I would imagine.

Reactions: Caligirlnic

Captain Chaos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

No
First Name
No
Last Name
No
Personally, if my stove didn’t work so well, I’d buy the Moutaineer by Camp Chef. @A-Aron has a darn good stove.

Reactions: A-Aron

A-Aron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Enoch, UT, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Tiede
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LIJ
Personally, if my stove didn’t work so well, I’d buy the Moutaineer by Camp Chef. @A-Aron has a darn good stove.
It is nice! Handles the wind quite well. Self lighting option is decent but only works about 75% of the time, but it's not electronic. Has double the BTU output of the Partner stove, and it is easy to clean. Just watch for sharp edges.

Reactions: RainGoat

CSG

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Idaho
Member #

OP, why do you want to replace your Triton? What doesn't it do that you want or need? I've got the previous version of this stove and feel it does everything well. However, most of my camp cooking is heating water for coffee or the occasional Mountain House if I want a hot meal. My van has a two burner stove but I usually just use a little single isobutane burner. In my LX, I carry the MSR Superfly.

When I do actually cook, more often than not it's breakfast. I like the baguette, cheese, wine thing for dinner on my little outings. Also a fan of the sandwich, especially in the van where I've got a little fridge to hold chicken salad, turkey, etc. I know food is important for a lot of campers and a big production is part of the experience for many but after so many years of doing this, the simpler and easier, the better, IMO. I should add, the main reason is I don't want to clean up any more than I have to.

Reactions: Gustavo Amaral

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I remain a white gas fan from my earliest days. I use a Coleman two burner stove I bought new 25 years ago. Replace the generator for the first time this year and runs like a champ. Doesn't look brand new by any means but would not hesitate to take it anywhere. I also have a MSR Whisperlite that is of the same vintage and have only replaced one o-ring, a single burner Coleman and a small bottle top propane stove. The ease of repair and all weather performance make these my go to, never change stoves.

Also same bottle of fuel powers my lanterns and there is very little to throw away when the fuel bottle is empty.

Reactions: TerryD

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I've got a generic Coleman. It doesn't regulate the best but a quick look at the flame and it's fine.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Call me stupid, but what stove is this? Didnt see it referenced, but Im interested. Thanks.

to the OP. I have a few, well more than a few coleman dual fuel stoves, pick them up at the end of summer from local classifieds for good prices. They make a propane adapter for it which works good. I also own a camp chef evererst, a skottle, and a 22" partner. The partner is my favorite by a good amount. Solid, well built, recessed knobs to prevent damage in the back of the rig. Pricey, yes, add the stand/ block off plate and propane adapter it really adds up. But they are solid stoves, I know river rats that have owned theirs for over a decade and is still going strong.