Contributor I

Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Hello,

I was planning on a winter camping trip for a weekend soon. I was thinking around cadomin mines area (crown land). I’ve never camped back there, and thought I’d see if anyone might have some insight? What to bring, or good places to go?

I own a jeep Cherokee Trailhawk, and have a 4 season tent, stoves and tire chains/winch roof rack.

Reactions: Tyler_trd

YEG_chris

Rank 0

Contributor I

Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Have you gone yet? How did it turn out

Hey I did go this weekend to the cardinal divide. Don’t recommend going by yourself. Much snow, and windy. Ruby falls area had less snow and better conditions. So if you planning on going avoid the divide, and should be good.

I did find a nice place to camp off the trunk road, unfortunately I don’t recall the area, was about 30 min from cadomin.

Right now the weather conditions are perfect for camping.

Reactions: Tyler_trd

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
This is an older thread but @Tyler_trd your post got it into the "New" section so I figured I might as well chime in since I know this area fairly well. However, full disclosure I have not done much in the winter in this area -- I would suggest for more season-specific information, check out snowmobile or cross-country ski communities as they might know a bit more about good areas to camp in as they would use those areas for staging.

However you've mentioned you've never been in that area at all, so I can give you a bit of info. From what I do know, Hinton through to Cadomin has no shortage of both paid and crown-land camping. Depending on where you go and what side-road you take, you will want to be careful as the mountains are unpredictable, especially in winter. I camped at Ram Falls (A bit south of where you're looking but otherwise identical terrain) one year on my motorbike with my wife, who was in our 4x4. When we arrived it was beautiful, we spent the weekend hiking, reading in the sunshine, and we didn't even start the campfire. On the morning we left...well, a picture is worth a thousand words. Not sure on the photo to video exchange rate, but here you go:

View attachment 2018-09-20_02-24-53.mov

Did I mention this was in mid-summer (July, I think)? The snow accumulated so fast it actually broke parts of our tent before we could pack up and go (Granted at first in the tent we thought it was rain!). By the time we got to civilization I was experiencing early stages of hypothermia, and I still consider it a miracle that I didn't wreck the bike as it was really cold - the snow was combining with the wet, muddy gravel to create a layer of muddy slush that was often interspersed with chunks of ice. To this day it's the hardest bit of motorcycling I've ever had to do -- It made our Prudhoe trip look like a run for a bag of milk (Okay maybe not that stark but you get the idea). Anyway, winter's weather gets even more unpredictable, so the point is be prepared to call for help just in case, and have a few redundancies for getting help -- I would strongly recommend a SPOT or similar. This is of course in addition to any recovery gear you need to effectively self-recover which you've already mentioned you are bringing. The main takeaway is that the mountains are unforgiving year-round, but especially so in Winter, so when in doubt - don't - and think safety.

Once you've got that sorted out, I would look into the Backroad MapBooks to see about roads in the area -- this is what we do In the summer/spring/fall. When we go, we plan it in advance on the Backroad MacBook and pick 5-10 roads we want to explore in a given weekend. We've always stumbled upon beautiful creekside campsites, sheltered areas, and comfy spots to spend a day or three. The other big benefit to those books though is they show you topography as well, so you know the elevation you will be at and perhaps more importantly, the elevation changes around your chosen area; you wouldn't want to accidentally camp in an avalanche bowl, after all. It also can help you re-route if you need to -- snow at XYZ altitude might be 3 feet, but at ABC altitude a littler lower, it might only have a few inches, so you can chart a route around at ABC altitude and avoid XYZ altitude roads.

Hope that's helpful!

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
Hey I did go this weekend to the cardinal divide. Don’t recommend going by yourself. Much snow, and windy. Ruby falls area had less snow and better conditions. So if you planning on going avoid the divide, and should be good.

I did find a nice place to camp off the trunk road, unfortunately I don’t recall the area, was about 30 min from cadomin.

You must have posted as I was typing - glad you already got the trip done and it sounds like you had a good time!

Tyler_trd

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Rocky View County, Alberta, Canada
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
Davidson
Member #

Thanks! I have been researching truck road and am trying g to plan a three day two night trip out there in about six weeks time! It will be myself and my girlfriend, headed out from cross field area let me know if you would like to meet up on the trail!

YEG_chris

Rank 0

Contributor I

Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Allen
Member #

You must have posted as I was typing - glad you already got the trip done and it sounds like you had a good time!

Hey. The mountains are not one to mess with. Even with me checking and re-checking the weather forecast for that weekend. Plus 5 and no snow. I assumed it would be a great weekend. Needless to say, 95kmh winds in the divide, made for really crappy drive and didn’t even want to think about camp. Hence the reason I changed my plans to camp closer to cadomin.

This is also a better winter for the most part.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

YEG_chris

Rank 0

Contributor I

Edmonton, AB, Canada
First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Allen
Member #

Thanks! I have been researching truck road and am trying g to plan a three day two night trip out there in about six weeks time! It will be myself and my girlfriend, headed out from cross field area let me know if you would like to meet up on the trail!

If your planning a trip around that time, I would personally say. Try to camp closer to trunk road. It’s safer.

There’s many camps just off the highway. I did find a nice one with a cook house and toilets between Hinton and nordegg. I might go back there in march.