US West (CA) Solo camping on the Carrizo Plain Superbloom 2023 (mostly pics and FPV vids)

• HTML tutorial

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

I got together with a bunch of guys a couple of weeks ago to do some filming of the Superbloom at the Carrizo Plain National Monument. And by "guys" I mean professional FPV drone pilots. This is a combination of two of my favorite hobbies. FPV and overlanding. Out of the 8 of us though, I'm the only one that camped on the Carrizo Plain. I'm mostly a visual story-teller so this thread is mostly a picture and video dump. Apologies if that's not your thing.

The area around Soda Lake proper, Soda Lake Road, and around the Visitors Center was simply clogged with tourists. As beautiful as it was, we eschewed that area in favor for some more remote terrain around the southwest edge of the plains on the Caliente range.

An introductory video:

From above my campsite:

Panorama of camp:

Definitely on the Top 5 of my coolest camp sites ever.

Nothing to see here. Just a bunch of nerds in their FPV goggles.

The overland pooch and truck.

Sunset got a lot more spectacular than this but I forgot to take pictures.

Closing out Day 1:

Last edited:

Psfracer

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Santa Clarita, CA, USA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Fercho
When we drove to Alabama Hills (Lone Pine, CA) 3 weeks ago, the whole desert floor was yellow with flowers from just north of Lancaster, CA to where the 14 / 395 meet near Ridgecrest.

What is the typical range of one of those drones?

ScorpioVI

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

San Jose, CA
Member #

What is the typical range of one of those drones?
That‘s kind of an iffy subject because there is no ”typical” drone. Let‘s just say that most of the camera drones you can buy off the shelf at Best Buy right now are capable of ranges beyond what the current FAA regulations allow us to do. The FAA requires us to fly within “visual line-of-sight” not exceeding 400ft above-ground-level. While it is possible to get an FAA waiver to exceed those limitations, you pretty much have to fly outside of those parameters (or fly outside the US) to really test the range of most consumer drones.

And then there’s the home-built drone category. The current max-distance record for a fixed-wing drone is 68.35 miles (that’s 68 miles out, 68 miles back, hand-flown the majority of the time. Multi-rotors are much less aerodynamically efficient and the current max-distance record is 14.29 miles.