US Midwest BYOT 2022 - M715

• HTML tutorial

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
Hey all,

Some friends and I put together a trip that we called the Back Yard Overland Tour (BYOT) that we just finished running. We went through the upper peninsula of Michigan and ended at Detroit 4Fest. It took me 7 days and probably close to 1000mi to complete the trip.

I'm creating this thread to be a bit of a public journal to talk about the highlights (and lo-lights) of the trip. Follow along and I'll post updates when I have time!

The group! (Left to Right: Liam, McNally, Gage, Cole, Henry, and myself Joe)
Resized_20220912_150132.jpg

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
The weekend before

Saturday - 270mi
1663539192010.png

The trip started for me the weekend before. I drive the M715 and it really likes to camp around 55mph in its current state. On top of that, we had a cameraman (Mike) coming with us that needed a way to get there. So he rode shotgun.

Saturday morning, Mike and I met at McNally's place so he had somewhere to store his TJ. He drove up the evening before from Indianapolis and wanted a safe place for his truck. So we transferred all of his gear to my truck and headed north. We stopped in Bay City for lunch at an interesting taco / BBQ place. I picked it since it was labelled BBQ but it was more of a taqueria. It was delicious as it was unexpected (I think it was called BarqueBC). From there, we crossed the draw bridge and stopped at the USS Edson again. This time, we had the opportunity to climb aboard and explore the ship! It was hot and I can only imagine what it must've been like in Vietnam. I was able to climb all the way to the top of the upper decks and check out the gun control quarters.

IMG_3645.jpeg

I can see my truck from here!
IMG_3644.jpeg

From Bay city to Mackinaw City, it's a fairly uneventful country drive. We made decent time and arrived at the base of the Mackinaw bridge after a quick albeit fruitless boondoggle to find some sink holes in the Huron national Forest. It was the golden hour when we got there and it made for a good photo of the truck and the lighthouse.

IMG_3647.jpeg
IMG_3650.jpeg

To end the day, we skipped across the Mackinaw bridge to St. Ignace where we stayed for the night. When we pulled into town, we were surprised to find a tractor show going on! It was really cool to see all the old Deere's, Massey Ferguson's, Ford's, IH's putting around.

68454404453__65455E0F-4800-4DE5-8D9F-DEE688C9B035.jpg

We cheated a bit and got a hotel. But because of the crowd from the tractor show, the only opening we could find was a small cabin at the Firehouse Inn. It was nice and felt suited for the north country trip that we were going to be trekking through.
IMG_5050.jpeg

joe.schigel

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Detroit, MI
Sunday - 257mi
1663591469314.png

Sunday morning we woke up and grabbed breakfast at Java Joe's (my favorite breakfast joint in St. Ignace). We were also meeting up with McNally who had been driving the Maximus 3 JT up from his house all morning.

IMG_3667.jpeg

After breakfast, we stopped at the local grocery store to pick up food for the next few days. It's always a bit difficult to buy for a trip, let alone for 7 people... We went through a lot of ice and ruined a few lbs of meat by the time the whole trip was done and dusted. (None of us have on board refrigerators).

We then made our way towards the Keweenaw. But not before stopping at a roadside park that marked the northern most point of Lake Michigan! This turned out to be quite the fortuitous stop! McNally saw a truck that he recognized as an old friend and sought him out. We talked for 20min or so and exchanged contact info. It turns out, he now lives in Wisconsin and was heading home. He told us that he knew a bunch of guys in the Keweenaw and if we needed any help, to let him know. We thanked him and hoped we wouldn't need to take him up on his offer.

IMG_3670.jpeg

the beach at the park
IMG_3671.jpeg

We continued North to catch MI-28 to US-41, stopping for lunch somewhere in the middle of the UP. Tailgate sandwiches taste better on road trips for some reason.
IMG_3674.jpeg

The drive continued to stretch out in front of us but we trudged along towards Twin Lakes State Park. But about 30mi from L'Anse I felt a wobble come from the front of the 715. It was fairly minor and felt like maybe I followed some ruts for a moment? I slowly released the steering wheel to check that the truck was still tracking straight. It was so I shrugged the event off for a moment. Not long after, I started to smell hot metal and then hot/burning brake material or grease. I wasn't sure which. I guessed that maybe a brake had started to drag for some reason and I checked my map. I saw that our fuel stop was in ~5mi so I decided to press on and evaluate the truck there.

We made it to the fuel stop in L'Anse and after refueling I began my vehicle inspection. I immediately noticed the front left wheel was caked in grease and VERY hot. I knew this was likely the source of my problem and likely bad... I moved the truck into a general parking spot so we could jack up the wheel and check it out. What we found, was devastating.

bad bearing.jpeg

68463057673__E3B21D29-EC7B-4950-8044-B9280E2E66B9.jpg

What I had discovered was that the "wiggle" I had felt 30mi earlier was the outer wheel bearing letting go! So now, the truck was dead in the water so to speak... in a small town in the middle of the UP... late on a Sunday evening....

We desperately called what auto parts stores we could find were open to source a bearing and found a potential fit. So McNally drove off and returned an hour later with the bearing... it didn't fit. It's now late in the evening, everything is closing, and we're trying to determine our next steps since the rest of the group was already at camp.

The group came out to support and share in my distress and keep us company in the parking lot.
IMG_3681.jpeg

It was around this time, that McNally remembered his friend's offer from the roadside park earlier in the day. He called him up and asked if any of his contacts in the Keweenaw might have the bearing that we were looking for. He put his feelers out and we were put in touch with Nate (owner of Big's Offroad). Nate told us he thought he had a bearing that would work and could be at our location in 1/2 an hour! We were ecstatic and anxiously awaited his arrival.

Nate pulled into the lot and immediately got to work helping me to free the cone from the spindle. He was able to break it free with his punch and larger hammer than what I had. We then tried his new bearing... it didn't fit either... The cone was perfect but the race was too small of an OD for the M715 hub...

IMG_6511 2.jpeg

IMG_3678.jpeg

It was getting late now so we grabbed diner from our parking lot hosts before they closed and made a plan. The main group would go back to camp while McNally and I would stay with the 715 for the night. Then, first thing in the morning, we would start the parts search anew and hope for the correct bearing. Nate went home ass well but not before offering to trailer teh 715 if we needed it. We thanked him for all of his efforts and hoped that we could fix it in the morning.

So we popped the tents, and slept in the parking lot in L'Anse.

IMG_3683 2.jpeg