Buying an overlanding rig in the NE (rust)

• HTML tutorial

Underwhere

Rank I

Contributor III

NH
First Name
Dee
Last Name
Nepasapedelon
Looking to get into overlanding. Potentially with a LX470 targeting 2006. Given the age and the rust we get, any recommendations on what areas to find used vehicles? Likely would be a fly-in and drive back situation.
Atlanta?

Do the 100 series do well as far as rust goes? Maybe it's not an issue buying a 16 year old car in New England :)

drabina

Rank I

Enthusiast I

NJ
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Drabina
Few months ago I have purchased a 2003 Sequoia that spent its entire life in the rust belt. The frame was replaced by Toyota under the recall but everything else is pretty much stock (read: rusted) unless was replaced due to the failure. If you stick with a northeast car, be prepared to invest in gallons of PB Blaster, Sawzall blades, Rustoleum cans and double the time it takes to replace anything. In my experience 1 out of 5 bolts will break due to the rust, things are seized and anything you touch will spray tons of rust flakes all over you. It is better to buy from dry states. That said, I am still moving forward in updating the suspension and getting the car ready for some offroading adventures. The reason I bought it because I could actually see the car and its condition, talk to the owner, get some history of it and the price was right considering the currently inflated prices.

My 2 cents.

Lexusdoug

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Gaylor
Looking to get into overlanding. Potentially with a LX470 targeting 2006. Given the age and the rust we get, any recommendations on what areas to find used vehicles? Likely would be a fly-in and drive back situation.
Atlanta?

Do the 100 series do well as far as rust goes? Maybe it's not an issue buying a 16 year old car in New England :)

Lexusdoug

Rank 0

Contributor I

Arizona, USA
First Name
Doug
Last Name
Gaylor
The LX470 is an awesome vehicle. I have a 2006 with 150,000 miles on it and it is still as great of a ride as when I got it in 2008. Let me know if you are interested in it.

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

If you want a solid 2006, simply do not buy in New England. Georgia cN also be a bit humid but they do not get the snow, ice and road salt. I'd prefer to go further inland, to prevent sea salt air issues.

Try a Texas, vehicle, just watch for signs of flood.
Arizona, Nevada, these are good, dry states to look at, but virtually anywhere in the US outside of New England will get you a better, rust free car

Reactions: NHMachinist