Port Hueneme, CA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
March
Member #

Service Branch
Army Airborne Ranger
...and I'm pretty sure that I'm getting either the Smittybilt 10K or the Badlands 12K. They are both about the same cost...any input?

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
I bought a winch off amazon and it's the same winch as the Badlands for several hundred dollars cheaper. I've already had to use it once. (got stuck in grass LOL)
Only difference is the plastic cover.
There are not 12 winch factories in China. I assure you. Only one and they make "ALL" the winches and dress them differently. $325
Zim
Amazon.com: ZESUPER 12V 13000-lb Load Capacity Electric Truck Winch Kit Synthetic Rope, Waterproof Off Road Winch for Jeep,Truck,SUV with Wirless Remote and Corded Control(13000-Rope) : Industrial & Scientific

Edit. I found a youtube video from 2015 of this same winch (badlands) and it's identical. They have been making these for a very long time.
Z

IMG-1879.JPG

Last edited:

4X3Lander

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

California, United States
First Name
Don
Last Name
4X3Lander
Member #

I bought the Badlands winch from Harbor Freight after seeing several YT channels I follow use them a lot in a variety of settings and situations.

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
Biggest suggestion I can make is to make sure you have the appropriate pulling power for your rig's weight. General rule of thumb used to be 1.5x your vehicle's weight for pulling power. Another point to make is that you do your homework and buy once cry once. Definitely don't want to skimp and have the winch fail when you need it most. I have a 12k Ironman with synthetic line and a controller that can be either wired or wireless on my 100 series TLC. If I didn't snag it for cheap from a buddy who never used it, I might have ended up with a Badlands 12k. A good warranty is nice, as well as good customer service. But don't solely rely on a winch as well. Make sure you have solid recovery points, as well as a plethora of recovery gear options. Aside from my winch, I have traction boards, tow strap/tree saver, steel shackles, soft shackles, a snatch pulley/wheel for synthetic line, a shovel, an axe, a hand saw, a bottle jack, good tires, and the right mindset. Hope this all helps!

Advocate I

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

Biggest suggestion I can make is to make sure you have the appropriate pulling power for your rig's weight. General rule of thumb used to be 1.5x your vehicle's weight for pulling power. Another point to make is that you do your homework and buy once cry once. Definitely don't want to skimp and have the winch fail when you need it most. I have a 12k Ironman with synthetic line and a controller that can be either wired or wireless on my 100 series TLC. If I didn't snag it for cheap from a buddy who never used it, I might have ended up with a Badlands 12k. A good warranty is nice, as well as good customer service. But don't solely rely on a winch as well. Make sure you have solid recovery points, as well as a plethora of recovery gear options. Aside from my winch, I have traction boards, tow strap/tree saver, steel shackles, soft shackles, a snatch pulley/wheel for synthetic line, a shovel, an axe, a hand saw, a bottle jack, good tires, and the right mindset. Hope this all helps!
^^^This! Lol. I was just about to write this until I scrolled down and saw it. Also keep in mind cable type and solenoid location vs where tlyou plan to mount the winch. I have been running a older style warn VR8000 for years on my TJ and have had good luck with the line not rusting because I coated it as soon as I put it on the jeep with a wire cable spray ( almost a waxy grease, doesn't seem to pick up mud or dirt and I havnt had to recoat it in years... and it gets used at least a few times a year lol) I thought about switching to a smittybilt 10k winch with synthetic but I the synthetic line in winter absorbs moisture and salt, freezes and freys ... and most synthetic lines are susceptible over time to UV damage, which means that I likely would have had to change out my cable on my TJ by now if I had switch .... I know that wasn't part of the original question but something to think about. Basically falow the rule of minimum 1.5x loaded vehicle weight and if a 12k is way overkill, go with the 10k. Assuming since it's th FJ in your picture and they GVWR on those is around 5500 lbs a 10k should be plenty.

EwingJK

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Brentwood, CA, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Ewing
Member #

Service Branch
US Navy
I bought a winch off amazon and it's the same winch as the Badlands for several hundred dollars cheaper. I've already had to use it once. (got stuck in grass LOL)
Only difference is the plastic cover.
There are not 12 winch factories in China. I assure you. Only one and they make "ALL" the winches and dress them differently. $325
Zim
Amazon.com: ZESUPER 12V 13000-lb Load Capacity Electric Truck Winch Kit Synthetic Rope, Waterproof Off Road Winch for Jeep,Truck,SUV with Wirless Remote and Corded Control(13000-Rope) : Industrial & Scientific

Edit. I found a youtube video from 2015 of this same winch (badlands) and it's identical. They have been making these for a very long time.
Z

View attachment 240162
I bought the same winch on Amazon on Jan. 22, 2023. It was on sale for $263.00. Because of this, I finally pulled the plug on modifying my 2005 Trailblazer into an Overland ride. As of 1/22/23 I've spent about $4,000 on off-road equipment. It's at my brother-in-laws in Oregon. I'll be taking the TB up there in two weeks to start the conversion process.

AggieOE

Rank IV

Advocate II

Pearland, Texas, USA
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
NWK
Member #

Even though this is a year old thread, I thought this article would relevant:

I've heard great things about the Badlands but I truly try to buy as American as possible. Although I know my Warn M8000 is assembled in the US from global parts, I kinda wish I would have bit the bullet on Superwinch, Ramsey, or Champion since theirs are all US manufactured.

Akicita

Rank IV

Advocate I

Firestone, CO, USA
First Name
Akicita
Last Name
Lakota
Member #

I run a ComeUp winches on my personal rig and all our ranch trucks after several Warns failed . . . I recently watched and enjoyed this comparison test and decided to try Zeak or Mile Marker next time we replace our work truck winches. I will stick with the ComeUp on my truck as it has performed very well and has not let me down yet.

Badlands finished last in his test and opinion.

Reactions: JJbyrd and AggieOE

Nosferatu

Rank I

Contributor III

Neither here nor there
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Smith
I decided to try a 10k Superwinch on my new Bronco. Their warranty had a lot to do with that decision. The first thing that typically dies on these Chinese winches are the electronics. Superwinch seems to have parts available, plus a decent warranty that covers them.