Edgewood, NM, USA
First Name
Draven
Last Name
Deathridge
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
Show off your built not bought rigs here, no hate bashing vehicles if your that petty leave the thread.

Advocate III

Owen Sound, Ontario, Canada
First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
Member #

I apologize in advance ... this is gunna be a long post lol.
I have a 06 TJ unlimited that I have been working on for the last 10 years or so. it has JK rubicon ( factory e-lockers) axles with 4.88 gears, and chromly shafts, and a Crown JK big brake kit to match. The suspension has been rebuilt to run a 3 link front and upper triangulated 4 link rear, and and the rear shocks have been out boarded for better clearance and length. The steering has been built to match the axle and uses a PSC steering box ( though I really need to get on installing the ram assist). And a flat transfer case skid plate gives me a bit more grown clearance. The factory front bumper was trimmed down to meet the frame rails, and factory front fenders were replaced with flat fenders from a local fabricator, along with the rear corner armor and flares, and poison spyder rock sliders. It all rolls on procomp wheels and 37" Cooper tires.
The interior has a been stripped out, floors replaced, a layer of sound deadening installed, then bed liner sprayed over that to seal it and protect it from rub damage, then the carpets were put back in. A rock-hard harness bar was installed behind the front seats, and a smittybilt bolt in cage gives me a little more piece of mind ( I know it's only a bolt in). I made up some cross bars for the rear cargo area and and mounted a cargo basket to add a second layer of storage and tie down locations. Currently in the process of installing on board air. I was using CO2 but since I've moved it has been expensive and hard to get ( last tank I filled cost me $75 and for that price it's cheaper to go with a compressor ).
It's all been a work in progress and there is always room for improvement. It works well for the trails I built it for to get to the spots I enjoy camping at. I am in the planning and design process of building a trailer to tow behind this on the trail to add a few more comforts. It will likely steal most of the equipment that was mounted to the roof of my compass this year ( it will carry traction boards, water tank, shower, and hopefully and awning along with all of the other gear).

Attachments

Reactions: danwyandt and PCO6

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Started building up my 1995 Ford Explorer 2 yrs ago. There is basically NO aftermarket for these, so it is the very definition of "Built not Bought"!
* Rebuilt 4.0 v6
* Regeared & Locked axles from 3.55 to 4.56
*2x100a batteries, ARB twin compressor, 2k watt inverter, slide out fridge, rock sliders, some armor, 35x12.5-16 Nitto Trail Grapplers on Raceline Bead locks.
So much more ...
Lot's more to do...

Attachments

PNW EXPLR

Local Expert Southeast Washington, USA
Investor

Explorer I

Kennewick, WA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Denniston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7LYZ
This is my '65 International Delivery. Currently has a running and driving 304ci with a 4 speed. Its hard to find parts for these. Even axle seals, brake parts,...everything is either obsolete or expensive. So, it is currently getting a full drive train swap, GM 8.1L , NV4500, NP203/205 doubler, 10 bolt/D44 front, 14 bolt full float rear, sitting on 37's.
Front axle swap is mostly complete, rear is next.F8A81548-CAFB-4A22-8102-8FBA9147FD15.jpg