Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Tank will be vented. Since I’m not relying on air pressure it doesn’t have to be air tight. It’ll have an overflow vent up top.
That looks great. Are you posting you build somewhere?

I’m building currently from the ground up a custom Landcruiser 75 troopy. Landcruiser 79 pickup suspension and axles including conversion to coils in the front, 80 series diesel drivetrain, AluCab popup roof and much more. I’m planning an Espar hydronic heater for cab and instant hot water so no need for dual water tanks.

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Just spent the weekend on the Cascades escaping the heat wave in CA. Every time we take it on a trip it reminds me how much I love driving this rig. We have full comfort of home. My wife looses the bags under the eyes because we sleep so well. It’s a state of mind as well as the air and nature around you.

Found an isolated lake, took a hot shower (air dry), dinner, enjoyed the full moon rise and went to bed.
E45DBA34-46E1-472F-9819-B53517A1C41C.jpeg11177171-7153-4529-B6BF-EB59B4555417.jpegA753FAF3-0C5F-45DD-8B72-96804BB1583B.jpeg86BE816F-640F-4EA1-A6ED-42885707F05A.jpeg

Last edited:

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Just had the original steering wheel redone by RedLine Goods. I think they have done an amazing job for a very reasonable price. Keep in mind that it is a 30 year old rig with 300K miles (and a new 'Lance Armstrong' heart).

IMG_9128.jpgIMG_9143.jpgIMG_9144.jpg

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
The first post's picture cracks me up every time I see it

Reactions: Ob1

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Just a small update. Clutch originally installed was a 275mm instead of a 300 mm intended for this engine. 275 is for the 1HZ no turbo. We ended up replacing the flywheel and installing a heavy duty clutch. This one burned when trying to pull a 10000lb sprinter van belongs to my brother up hill in lava sand. At this point, timing belt, water pump (70k miles) and rebuild rear diff (+300k miles).

All happened while my daughter was married. Driving to the altar in her 40 series landcruiser (Kermit). That rig is equipped with a 1HDT/H55 turbo intercooled diesel.

DB9D85EB-565F-4D9E-8C99-B9F92A41DECD.jpeg116BA362-7D20-4B1A-881C-5FFDB8131046.jpegCE2CA5DA-8FC7-4A64-9FCA-CC802C0B6713.jpeg

Attachments

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Took the rig to northern Idaho and got some snow camping. Drove through eastern Oregon in a blizzard on a remote road without seeing a single car for two hours. Just love this solitude and focus. Reminds me of my hang gliding cross country flights. Decided to get in bed at some distance from the main road. Temp was 20F and the jerrycan froze solid outside. Luckily the stainless tanks were warmed up during the ride, one to 140F so I had water in the morning. Started up with a touch on the switch. During this slow drive I hit 24 mpg.
492C82E6-E352-4523-9E5A-CCE7D6BB02FA.jpeg

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
After installing a heavy duty clutch and driving it for 2500 miles, it shattered. I have seen this only in photos. I've been doing driving since 1973 and it is the first time I had to call a tow truck. There was nothing I could do. We don't know root cause, but the AUZ manufacturer claims misalignment, which is NOT true. While doing this I decided to refresh the H151 5 speed transmission. It probably has 400K miles on it and 3rd gear was popping out. It drives again, and shifts like new. The main bearings are much larger that I have seen anywhere else.
IMG_9817.JPGIMG_9885.JPGIMG_9886.JPG

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
A few updates...
Steering box upgraded to a 105 series by RedHead steering. I can not say enough good things about them. The bottom of the sector shaft is not tapered and much stronger. To be installed this weekend. Also I ordered a set of ICON shocks. This upgrade is long due and we are headed this summer to a long 2500 miles on dirt roads, so it's just 'insurance'.

IMG_0262.JPG

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Just a 'small' upgrade. A rebuilt 105 steering box (by RedHead Steering) and ICON suspension to replace the OME after 80 K miles.
Getting ready for a 2500 miles off road trip. Stay tuned. :blush:IMG_0273.JPG
IMG_0314.JPGIMG_0316.JPGIMG_0323.JPG

Last edited:

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Spent last weekend camping in the mountains of Oregon. Visiting family and Overland Expo PNW. Met some friends and met new ones. Dave from Delta Vehicle Systems is building an amazing truck and also has amazing products. We exchanged notes. . Also met Bryce @cruiser.la with a fantastic setup in his Landcruiser and spent Friday night at a Party in Fitgarage in Bend. Shop specializes in 70 series troops with beautiful builds.

Getting ready for a long trip. A month on the road. Car is being loaded up as we speak. I'll keep you posted on the details except the destination. That will come when we are back from the trip.

Reactions: Dougnuts

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
We are headed to a 5000 miles trip with 1/2 or more off road. You ask what tools/parts should I take. I think it really depends how you know your rig. We have done 80k miles in the last 4 years and the only break down was a sheared NEW clutch plate. I’m not taking a spare! I’m nervous because don’t know the root cause. But I’m keeping the ‘repair box’ as it was all the time excluding the welder because there is one already in the convoy.
IMG_0908.jpegIMG_0903.jpeg

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Just finished a 24 days/5700 miles trip including 2700 miles of the Continental Divide trail from Mexico border to Canada border. Over 1000 miles in low range including some passes in Colorado Rockies. Trip included a few rigs with an AMAZING crew. Experience that will last a life time.Screenshot 2023-08-21 at 8.25.16 AM.pngIMG_0944.JPGIMG_0992.JPGtempImageoEadoK.pngIMG_5054.jpg

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Spent the weekend a week+ ago in the Mojave with the Trail Guardian. @Kent R (as always) organized the OB event in coordination with NPS in the best possible way. Our specific task was to get to the south west edge of the park and post signs restricting side-by-side/ATVs to enter the park. They represent (in general) a culture that is not exactly similar to ours. We got 2 GPS coordinates for the existing old signs, which were not totally accurate, and spent the day traversing the Mojave in no-man's-land trying to find them. It was SOOO much fun.

We actually first went to Flagstaff to drop the 2 quarter panels of the troopy that came from Toyota Japan and is being rebuilt at the body shop.

IMG_5499.jpgIMG_5506.jpgIMG_1521.JPGIMG_5495.jpgIMG_1509.JPG

Last edited:

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
Small update...

Went to grease the driveshafts and apparently the spider bearings were installed 90 deg off so nipples are unreachable. Pain pulling it off, back to the shop and waiting for it to be done.

Meanwhile I swapped an engine in our daily driver, a 60 series landcruiser. Installed a 15BFT 16 valve 4.1L turbo diesel that came from a bus in Hong Kong. First trip up to the Sierras and back in a storm. It runs like a freight train. 26 mpg.

And... also been working on the troopy. Body shop has been putting hours. I'm prepping the frame for it.

IMG_1688.JPGIMG_1868.jpgIMG_1887.JPG

Last edited:

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
We took off from the Bay Area to tour southern Arizona. Weather was fantastic. Spent one night by a lagoon with hundreds of cranes. One group at a time they took off while I was making coffee. These are the kind of days you know will be great.
IMG_2438.jpegIMG_2445.jpegIMG_2451.jpegIMG_2448.jpegIMG_2449.jpeg

Ob1

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Palo Alto, CA, USA
First Name
Ofer
Last Name
Bruhis
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD6UKE
This weekend we volunteered to document dispersed campsites in the Mojave desert. NPS gave us 160 waypoints and in groups of two vehicles we navigated in no man’s land to get
all the information. Kent Reynolds did an incredible job coordinating these efforts and with the help of a few members of Overland Bound we completed the task. What a fun weekend. With our partner and friend the two diesel Landcruisers just enjoyed a day roaming the desert.

Also made a new friend wondering the desert.
IMG_2477.jpegIMG_2482.jpegIMG_2491.jpegIMG_2493.jpegIMG_6494.jpeg