First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Ryan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2MJR
Evening all. Guess I should start here.

My name's Matt, though friends and family call me Bear. I've followed the YouTube channel for a long time, and decided to join up tonight.

My rig is really simple, just a '12 Chevy Nox, mostly stock but not entirely, and definitely low key. It does have aftermarket shocks, a diff breather set-up, and a comms set-up to get any signal anywhere. I obviously don't do any travel on tracks even close to the league of Moab or the like. But looks are deceiving and the battlewagon spends more time on dirt and gravel usually than pavement. It's seen the entire Pan-American Highway, crossed the US and Canada on local and dirt roads alike. It's seen every dirt and logging road (and some things alleged to be "roads") in Labrador, Quebec, and Northern Ontario, and crossed the ice roads into Tuktoyaktuk, NWT in winter. She's been ferried across water on some of the best ferry crossings in North America, and just did the Labrador Coastal water/road route from St. John, NB to Nain, NL and back last year. Two fenders, three windshields, one rear bumper, one engine recall rebuild, 215,000mi and enough bulbs, brakes and tires to fill an AutoZone later...she's still ticking like a Swiss watch. Normally she's not this clean, and has BFG KO2's on her, but she just got washed for the first time in 8 months and COVID killed most of my plans so far.

I'm planning on using the downtime to take the back seats out again to finish the modest cabinet system/bed platform I started a little over a year ago. Good times. Looking forward to getting back out there soon when the world gets somewhat back to normal.

IMG_20200614_184039657_HDR.jpg

Specter

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Northern VA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Pukish
Member #

Welcome! You certainly sound like you have had some great experiences - I look forward to hearing about your past adventures and all about those still to come!

Reactions: RadioDitch

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Evening all. Guess I should start here.

My name's Matt, though friends and family call me Bear. I've followed the YouTube channel for a long time, and decided to join up tonight.

My rig is really simple, just a '12 Chevy Nox, mostly stock but not entirely, and definitely low key. It does have aftermarket shocks, a diff breather set-up, and a comms set-up to get any signal anywhere. I obviously don't do any travel on tracks even close to the league of Moab or the like. But looks are deceiving and the battlewagon spends more time on dirt and gravel usually than pavement. It's seen the entire Pan-American Highway, crossed the US and Canada on local and dirt roads alike. It's seen every dirt and logging road (and some things alleged to be "roads") in Labrador, Quebec, and Northern Ontario, and crossed the ice roads into Tuktoyaktuk, NWT in winter. She's been ferried across water on some of the best ferry crossings in North America, and just did the Labrador Coastal water/road route from St. John, NB to Nain, NL and back last year. Two fenders, three windshields, one rear bumper, one engine recall rebuild, 215,000mi and enough bulbs, brakes and tires to fill an AutoZone later...she's still ticking like a Swiss watch. Normally she's not this clean, and has BFG KO2's on her, but she just got washed for the first time in 8 months and COVID killed most of my plans so far.

I'm planning on using the downtime to take the back seats out again to finish the modest cabinet system/bed platform I started a little over a year ago. Good times. Looking forward to getting back out there soon when the world gets somewhat back to normal.

View attachment 158533
Thats alot of miles, which engine does it have?

RadioDitch

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Cranford, NJ, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Ryan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2MJR
Thats alot of miles, which engine does it have?
2.4L 4cyl Ecotec Gas. Thankfully it had the rebuild done at 45,000mi by GM (on their dime) before the oil consumption issue ever appeared. And since, no issues. I've honestly found that the majority of people who report major issues with the 'Noxes just flat-out aren't doing the scheduled maintenance. I follow the severe schedule to the letter and it's kept me out of any trouble.

The only major repairs have been normal wear and tear, some body work caused by bad drivers of New Jersey. The worst/most expensive repair I've had to make was an exhaust manifold replacement. But that was my fault for not being able to avoid debris on the road in Mexico.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
2.4L 4cyl Ecotec Gas. Thankfully it had the rebuild done by GM (on their dime) before the oil consumption issue ever appeared. And since, no issues. I've honestly found that the majority of people who report major issues with the 'Noxes just flat-out aren't doing the scheduled maintenance. I follow the severe schedule to the letter and it's kept me out of any trouble.

The only major repairs have been wear and tear, with the most expensive being an exhaust manifold replacement. But that was my fault for not being able to avoid debris on the road in Mexico.
Yep the oil consumption is why I asked. Good news about GM fixing yours not everyone is that lucky

RadioDitch

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Cranford, NJ, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Ryan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W2MJR
Yep the oil consumption is why I asked. Good news about GM fixing yours not everyone is that lucky
I think the biggest problem was that GM's communication about it was horrible.

I'm OCD about monitoring for recalls and notices because of my driving habits. As I understand it, I was one of the first 25 nationwide to have them do the rebuild when the notice first came out several years ago now. 2016-2017 I think. Really credit belongs to a friend who was the service manager at a GM dealership at the time who took care of the paperwork for me to have it covered. He showed me what they invoiced GM, and it was over $11,000. The parts list added up to essentially a brand new engine. Pistons, sleeves, valves, timing system, water pump, all the seals and gaskets. She came out better than she went in.