Full-Time RVers
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Knight
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6HTM
Starting next Saturday my girlfriend and I are doing a road trip over Xmas and New Year. From San Francisco we’ll drive to Tahoe on Saturday and ski Heavenly (CA and NV). Then on Sunday drive to Salt Lake City. Monday and Tuesday we’ll ski Park City. Wednesday drive to CO. Thursday, Friday, Saturday we’ll ski Vail, Beaver Creek, and Breckenridge. Sunday drive to Las Vegas. NYE in Vegas then back to SF on Monday.

It’s maybe not true overlanding but we love these big road trips. Ski season pass covers all those resorts so all we pay is gas and hotels. Ski 4 states and 5 locations in 11 days. Why not? :)

Anyway, one of the many awesome places we pass is Bonneville Salt Flats. We’re driving a 2016 F150 EcoBoost 3.5. Anyone been there? Should we roll on by or stop and have some fun?

Open to other ideas for along the way too if people have suggestions!

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

We did a similar trip from SF a couple years ago. The Bonneville Salt Flats were cool to see. I wouldn't drive out on them though that time of year with your F150 - the ground is soft and you'll likely sink in with something that heavy. It's very wet in the wintertime.

Also, the salt supposedly can do a number on your electrical connections.

Reactions: AdventurousWay

vegasjeepguy

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Gravette, AR, USA
Member #

Ugh, NYE in Vegas. Us locals avoid the strip most times, but definitely on NYE. That said, I’m sure you’ll have a great time as it’s one of the biggest parties you’ve ever seen. If you want shoot me a PM and I’ll give you my contact info “just in case”.