Biggest waste of money (let's learn something)

• HTML tutorial

TDGarage

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Morgan Hill, CA
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Detch
Member #

x2 on the K&N air intake system. I put one on my Jeep over a decade ago and found it to be a huge waste of money. Ended up spending even more money to buy a pre-filter to slip on over it in order to help it filter as well as the OEM configuration did. Oh well, you live and learn.

The other waste of money, for me, was a Borla exhaust system. Terrible product (I went through multiple exhausts in just a couple years due to shoddy welds and poor quality metal) and terrible customer service (it took months to receive each warranty replacement). Million mile warranty? Yeah, right. I'll never buy another product from them again.
interesting about the Borla. Initially I was considering it, thinking it was the higher quality product.

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

-Smittybilt GEAR covers...that should say enough already

-Believe it or not, my ARB rear carrier and bumper. It's a solid bumper that provides great protection but it's a pain in the butt to install. Mine still isn't even installed properly, meaning one of these days I need to pull it off and completely redo the install...joy. Also, the ARB rear bumper doesn't offer much for accessories like gas can mounts or baskets. I plan to have it modified in the future by a professional fabricator in order to get what I want out of it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Interesting...I currently own a Jeep Rubicon and a LR4 and I'm itching for a 2017 Ram Power Wagon. The size concerns me, but I didn't think of it as a serious issue. I have a hard time squeezing my 5 y.o. twins with gear in the Jeep and I can with the LR4 but it's a 2013 with 81K miles on it and I was thinking of replacing it with the Power Wagon. Hmm...
You'll get used to the extra size if you're constantly driving it. I DD'd my 2000 K2500 Crew Cab short bed GMC for a couple years and you don't notice it after a while. After I switched to DD'ng my S10 Blazer and now the 07 Xterra, it's a change to get back into the truck and go somewhere like Wal-Mart, but we take the truck to the beach every year since it fits all 5 of us with room to spare and has plenty of storage with the camper shell on it, and it doesn't take but a couple parking lots to get back into the swing of things and be throwing it in just about any parking spot I choose with ease.

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

You'll get used to the extra size if you're constantly driving it. I DD'd my 2000 K2500 Crew Cab short bed GMC for a couple years and you don't notice it after a while. After I switched to DD'ng my S10 Blazer and now the 07 Xterra, it's a change to get back into the truck and go somewhere like Wal-Mart, but we take the truck to the beach every year since it fits all 5 of us with room to spare and has plenty of storage with the camper shell on it, and it doesn't take but a couple parking lots to get back into the swing of things and be throwing it in just about any parking spot I choose with ease.

Is that a step side bed? Is that factory? Seems an odd / rare combo.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
Is that a step side bed? Is that factory? Seems an odd / rare combo.
It's not factory on there, I bought it VERY used with 280k miles on it but a very clean South Carolina body. I've always like step side beds and since it needed a new bed anyways, why not right? I lucked out and found that camper shell for $50 from a guy moving but had to replace all the locks. Still needs the driver's side window hinge fixed. It's a work in progress, as they all are.

Reactions: The other Sean

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ya, I had high hopes but these are really more trouble than they are worth. If you want improvement than just do yourself a favor and buy a snorkel. By moving the intake up and out of the engine compartment, you will get cleaner cooler air. After pulling my K&N off my old Tacoma, there was a very noticeable amount of dirt that was sucked in, even with regular cleaning and oiling.

OB 3319
Did you change your MAS or flash the ECM? It doesn't matter how much air is available if the computer isn't going to use it. The extra dirt should have been an obvious addition if you have an open-aired box vs a closed compartment.

Saints&Sailors

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

interesting about the Borla. Initially I was considering it, thinking it was the higher quality product.
Yeah, that's why I felt so burned by it. I paid a premium to buy a "better quality" product only to have it fail multiple times and wait months for replacements. Never again. I have a Banks exhaust now - it's fine but none of these exhaust systems actually increase power. They just improve the placebo effect. Buy a new exhaust if your old one is rusted out or if you want a different sound. Your money will be better spent on replacing spark plugs, fuel filters, oil, etc. than wasting hundreds on an exhaust system. IMO, the best option to increase power is to regear your axles.

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

[QUOTE=" it's fine but none of these exhaust systems actually increase power. .[/QUOTE] that's not entirely true. adding exhaust will normally increase power, in a negligible amount. Like lifting a rig without adding new tires, it only does so much by itself, and is better suited for a full system (IE intake plus exhaust) swap.

Big E

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Morganton, NC
Member #

I owned a Dodge Dakota. Bought it on a good deal, I thought. Turns out to be a huge waste of money. Issues, problems, problems that repeated themselves. Sold it at a lost and happy trails to it. I learned.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

I bought a 2013 Ford Raptor as a daily driver and a family Overland vehicle. A year in I realized how annoying a big truck was to navigate, park, & manuver around town. It only seats 5. There are limited overlanding parts options. The bed isn't really big enough to do much with. 6.2L was loud, thirsty, and due to no fault of my own, made me drive very aggressively. [emoji119] It wasn't particularly great off-road or in adverse conditions on road. It was fun, but I was happy to move on to a 13 LR4. Speaking of which, anyone need any F150 parts? [emoji137]
It's a full-size truck so agility is what you give up and pro tip full-size for DD and easily navigating parking lots not a great idea. I know I have a 2500 Suburban with a 6.0. My DD is VW GTI sips gas, fast and can make a u turn in my garage...lol
I see a lot of rack systems for the F150 what exactly where you looking for that you couldn't find?

I always see the raptor in overland articles..Huh

http://gearpatrol.com/2016/01/19/best-overland-vehicles/

Last edited:

The_Just

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate I

Tualatin OR
Member #

It's a full-size truck so agility is what you give up and pro tip full-size for DD and easily navigating parking lots not a great idea. I know I have a 2500 Suburban with a 6.0. My DD is VW GTI sips gas, fast and can make a u turn in my garage...lol
I see a lot of rack systems for the F150 what exactly where you looking for that you couldn't find?

I always see the raptor in overland articles..Huh

http://gearpatrol.com/2016/01/19/best-overland-vehicles/
Yeah you can shoehorn it in, just like anything else. You can drive a Corolla off-road with enough work. Doesn't necessity make it a great option. If you don't like the standard Baja style Raptor equipment or the cow poke F150 equipment, you're at a fab shop. Want a camper or something to fill the bed? Hope you like a very certain look. Not for me.

Not all full sized vehicles are created equal. The Raptor was particularly painful. For us, the 5.5ft bed was of minimal value. We love having another row of seats (7) and the dry cargo space of the LR4 really shines with the rain we get. Turning radius is only 1 issue, and not that big of a deal, just annoying.

The width (f150 +4") was the real issue for overlanding. As I think someone else has already pointed out, taking a Raptor down trails that are usually carved out for Jeeps is often not possible because of the width. This also adds to the endless scratches down the side and a laborious drive half in/out of ruts.

Essentially, the Raptor is a Baja truck. If you're in the woods, it's not a good choice from my experience.

boss324

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tracy California
First Name
Brian
Last Name
Castro
Member #

Yeah you can shoehorn it in, just like anything else. You can drive a Corolla off-road with enough work. Doesn't necessity make it a great option. If you don't like the standard Baja style Raptor equipment or the cow poke F150 equipment, you're at a fab shop. Want a camper or something to fill the bed? Hope you like a very certain look. Not for me.

Not all full sized vehicles are created equal. The Raptor was particularly painful. For us, the 5.5ft bed was of minimal value. We love having another row of seats (7) and the dry cargo space of the LR4 really shines with the rain we get. Turning radius is only 1 issue, and not that big of a deal, just annoying.

The width (f150 +4") was the real issue for overlanding. As I think someone else has already pointed out, taking a Raptor down trails that are usually carved out for Jeeps is often not possible because of the width. This also adds to the endless scratches down the side and a laborious drive half in/out of ruts.

Essentially, the Raptor is a Baja truck. If you're in the woods, it's not a good choice from my experience.
OK gotcha vehicle does not fit the type of trail you enjoy. It's also been my experience the burb is 3x slower off-road than anything midsized length and width are a real problem. It's the trade off. I can haul a ton more gear sleep in it. Just can't go where jeeps only can go. But still plenty places I can go. As for pint striping that's just part of overlanding no matter what you drive.

Alex Ozuna

Rank 0

Contributor I

Wasting money on aftermarket armor. I have 5 kids and could have bought them all new dirt bikes and fourwheelers with my previous armored builds. Armor for a his and hers toyota 3rd gens get expensive. Sold both wifey got a full size yukon xl I got a crew cab frontier and we bought off road toys for the kids got to lover resale value on toyotas. Just going to build all my own armor this go around

maktruk

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Member #

Cheapasdirt lift that has basically worn my suspension down to the nubs. Now I need a better lift *and* new bushings/ball joints/bearings/springs all around.

Reactions: BCBrian

Polaris Overland

Ambassador, Europe

Pioneer I

Newtonhill, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, UK
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Spinks
Member #

Service Branch
Royal Navy Veteran
in hindsight it appears these Jeeps just run hot. 219-229 degrees in the summer seems to be the norm. I thought I can get the truck to run cooler by venting the hood....wrong. Coolant temp didn't change at all (using a digital temp gauge)
229 degs f is about 109 degs c, that seems very hot when water boils at 100 dogs c.
My Defender TD5 runs hot which is normal for TD5's but even so I'm running around 90 dogs c in Cyprus summer where outside temps hit mid 40 degs c.
I have a nanocom permanently connected that alarms at 95 degs c. I don't want to hit 100 degs c for sure.