Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

Hi Folks,

I would like some feedback from BFGoodrich KO2 owners, especially in the US, on their experience with these tires please.

Mine are just under 2 years old and I've only done 17,639 mi on them. I rotate, balance and do wheel alignment at least every 6k mi. I run 36 psi on tarmac, 29 psi on gravel roads and 21 psi on rough stuff and thick sand (BFG have confirmed that this particular tire should be run at higher pressures). Most of my driving is still on tarmac (70%) and the rest gravel (20%) and maybe 10% rough stuff. No snow here :wink:. The current tread is around 7,4 mm (12.7mm new) but I have a lot of tearing in the tread. I literally have chunks coming out the tread blocks. BFG reckon this tearing is normal because this is an all-weather tire. Based on their estimation I will only get around 30k mi total on these. KO2's sold locally are manufactured in Thailand, not the US, hence my curiosity if there is maybe a difference in quality? KO2's cost around $287 a tire locally for a 265/65R17 (30.6") excl. fitment.

IMG_1069.jpg

BFG KO2 Video

Thanks,
Christoff

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Oh, I'm also very curious about the answers. I had exactly this experience with BFG MT KM2 some time ago. I have driven many sets of the BFG MT and then a similar picture on a trip of several months. Massive damage with broken profile and this happened with not even extreme stress. Never had these problems before and then I met on the trip someone with the same problem. So maybe there really are different qualities? I have then changed to Toyo Open Country MTs as they were available where I was at that time. I now have the second set, soon comes the third. The Toyo is good for about 80k kms at my driving profile.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Not normal at all. I used to run BFG K0 tires. Easily get 50,000 miles out of a set of 4, legally sell them used and the new owner would get another 10-15k miles out of them. Like you, our tires are used on about 70% pavement; 20% gravel or dirt and 10% rocky technical rough stuff. I also have always run E rated 285s at 36-38lbs of air to support our 80 series scaling out at 7,000 lbs loaded. I might have seen one or two very minor chunk outs on two sets. About 10 years ago my tire guy did ask- you want the good ones, right?- as he said, there are two grades of these tires. Of course, I got the good ones. ( made in USA ) I’m saddened to hear of your negative experience with BFG. I switched to General tires two sets ago only because of cost considerations. The Generals are every bit as good as the BFG, just a bit softer sidewall.. good luck !!

Get Out GO

Ambassador, Africa

Influencer III

Randburg, South Africa
First Name
Christoff
Last Name
Eilerd
Member #

I ran a pair of 33" KO2s for 50k, 98% tarmac, and didn't experience this issue. How's the ride quality?
I can't really say that I've experienced a deterioration in ride quality but I would think having chunks out of your tread means reduced surface contact surely.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

On this truck I've had plenty of issues. I ran KO's and Generals for years without an issue. When I upgraded (?) to KO2's at 50 plus thousand miles ago. I replace all 5 with a 315 size tire, they went 25K before replacing them. The truck is a driveway Queen, used for mostly trips in the local deserts and Baja. About 40% off road not much wheeling just rough dirt roads and beaches, cobble and sand. I replace 3 tries and switched out the spare, I was very disappointed as I had always gotten about 40 to 50k per set in the past. At 27k on the second set I complained to a BFG guy at expo west and he said make a claim, it seams they started with a softer rubber when they first came out on the E rated tires, they didn't last. I was going to get maybe 35k that set. I made the claim and replace 4 with a BFG credit for about 40% off I am rolling on those now. I rotate every 5k when I change my oil. There was a bit of chunking on the pervious sets nothing huge. I am not sure if I will be staying with BFG in the future. I'll switch them a before they get very shallow, I am very proactive when it comes to tire maintenance.

Reactions: Get Out GO and MOAK

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I have K02 on both Jeeps (WJ & JKU) the set on the WJ currently have 55k miles (89k Kilometers) and are getting close to replacement, still plenty of legal tread, but not really enough meat left for good traction in mud. They have never been rotated and all four are wearing exactly the same with no cupping or significant chunks missing. The set on the JKU are a bit over a year old and have about 15k miles (24k Kilometers) and still look new. Both sets are load range E and I run 35psi on the highway, 22 offroad, and 15 in rocks or sand. JKU is around 6,500 lbs, and WJ is around 5,500 lbs. Love the tires, do not love the price, but knocking on wood, have never had a flat and they perform quite well in most conditions. Sheet ice or gumbo mud are there weak points, everything else the are great at. Since like most overlanders we travel far more highway miles than off pavement I can not justify a mud terrain and its lower treadlife. Also we get a bit of snow and do a lot of winter travel through northern states and Canada, and the K02 is one of the few good AT tires that has the 3 peak mountain symbol (3PMS) on it that allows vehicles with four wheel drive to not run tire chains during restrictions on passes in many states and provinces.

Reactions: Get Out GO

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
Hi Folks,

I would like some feedback from BFGoodrich KO2 owners, especially in the US, on their experience with these tires please.

Mine are just under 2 years old and I've only done 17,639 mi on them. I rotate, balance and do wheel alignment at least every 6k mi. I run 36 psi on tarmac, 29 psi on gravel roads and 21 psi on rough stuff and thick sand (BFG have confirmed that this particular tire should be run at higher pressures). Most of my driving is still on tarmac (70%) and the rest gravel (20%) and maybe 10% rough stuff. No snow here :wink:. The current tread is around 7,4 mm (12.7mm new) but I have a lot of tearing in the tread. I literally have chunks coming out the tread blocks. BFG reckon this tearing is normal because this is an all-weather tire. Based on their estimation I will only get around 30k mi total on these. KO2's sold locally are manufactured in Thailand, not the US, hence my curiosity if there is maybe a difference in quality? KO2's cost around $287 a tire locally for a 265/65R17 (30.6") excl. fitment.

View attachment 254353

BFG KO2 Video

Thanks,
Christoff
I have the same size KO2s with 25,000 miles on them. I’ve not seen any of the chunking yours have. I set them at 38-40 psi cold for pavement.

Reactions: Get Out GO

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
I’ve got new BFG KO2s on the Troopy. First set. I’ll be watching them.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I've always had chunking on my tires here. My area is partially volcanic. Even though I don't drive on lava rock, what is here commonly has sharp edges. I also tend to drive aggressively off road. With that said, I've run BFG for years and been happy with them. My current tires are my first KO2's. I have about 8k miles on them. The wear is what I expected but the tires almost wont balance. I have five diffrent balancers at work including two road force. At 1500 miles I rebalanced them. It was so bad I dismounted them and checked the rims. All five of my rimes are as close to perfect as you can get. Its all tire.

What was posted here is the first I heard of two qualities. I would then guess, mine are the lesser. Out of all the brands of tires I've abused off road, these are now my second worse for balancing.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
I've always had chunking on my tires here. My area is partially volcanic. Even though I don't drive on lava rock, what is here commonly has sharp edges. I also tend to drive aggressively off road. With that said, I've run BFG for years and been happy with them. My current tires are my first KO2's. I have about 8k miles on them. The wear is what I expected but the tires almost wont balance. I have five diffrent balancers at work including two road force. At 1500 miles I rebalanced them. It was so bad I dismounted them and checked the rims. All five of my rimes are as close to perfect as you can get. Its all tire.

What was posted here is the first I heard of two qualities. I would then guess, mine are the lesser. Out of all the brands of tires I've abused off road, these are now my second worse for balancing.
The last set on my JK which were on it when I purchased it felt like they were egg shaped when going down the highway. never tried to rebalance as I replaced the wheels and tires with a larger size. They were C rated and I was not happy with the way the Jeep handled especially with the RTT, New ones are E rated and much better high way and off road manners. New ones and the ones on the WJ run very smooth. The WJ ones do seem to make a bit more noise as they wear down. but not objectionable