Rank III

Enthusiast II

Midland, TX, USA
First Name
Trevor
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Ok so I sleep in my Jeep. So I’m not looking for somewhere to sleep but when I’m out in the middle of nowhere I’m thinking I kinda want a place that I can setup quick and easy and have an instant house basically. I gotta be able to stand up in there snd I’d like to be able to set up a table inside too so I can have a table and stuff. Any suggestions? Gazelle tent was first thing that came to mind. But the bigger the better. For ismjake fans I was thinking something like JABA aka the clam tent. Thought I’d ask though and see what people thought

Reactions: MarioT'sCJResto

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
How big are you talking? The T4 Plus/T8 is huge... unfortunately it takes up a lot of room. We carry our T4 Plus on top of the rig.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I would prefer a spring bar style tent they take about 10 to 15 mins to set up but are smaller packed and super strong.
Kodiak, White Duck, Springbar all come to mind. Eureka also makes some very strong big style tents.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
The T4 plus takes 90 seconds to deploy and 5 minutes to pack back up... again size packed is the only issue...
I have a Eureka Tent that’s about 20 years old... I have hated that tent from day one...

Reactions: RoarinRow

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

I've been in the market for larger family car camping tent. Really depends on what you are looking for.

Last time I was in Walmart I almost bought their 12 person Ozark Trail tent, has 3 rooms and is tall. It was $85.

They have some others online for a little more but come with integrated lights and screened in porch.

I'd love to get a Gazelle, but what I've learned from owning multiple tents (from cheap to expensive brand name) is that some of the cheaper ones will last just as long or longer than those expensive ones. You are probably going to have to seal it just the same over time. So may be best to get a cheaper one for a few years. At least based on my experience that's how I'm approaching my next tent purchase.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I've been in the market for larger family car camping tent. Really depends on what you are looking for.

Last time I was in Walmart I almost bought their 12 person Ozark Trail tent, has 3 rooms and is tall. It was $85.

They have some others online for a little more but come with integrated lights and screened in porch.

I'd love to get a Gazelle, but what I've learned from owning multiple tents (from cheap to expensive brand name) is that some of the cheaper ones will last just as long or longer than those expensive ones. You are probably going to have to seal it just the same over time. So may be best to get a cheaper one for a few years. At least based on my experience that's how I'm approaching my next tent purchase.
I have had several Ozark Trails Tents... I have one that I have been suing since the early 2000’s that is large and works well for base camp if I’m staying in one spot for 2-3 weeks. But 1-2 hour setup time sucks... and don’t get me started on trying to figure out the pole configurations...

The Gazelle tent is in a class of its own... it’s on par with my professional guide series tents that sets up faster than my Kelty Backpacking tent.

SorrTrek

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder III

Washington, DC
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Sorrell
Member #

Good to know.

I typically wouldn't be in the market for a large tent like this, but since my boys are still young, its a must. I'm hoping whatever tent i get is cheap and lasts till they are able to have their own tents. So don't want want to make a significant investment.

May luck out though if Gazelle has another one of their sales.

Snowwalker

Rank III

Enthusiast III

London, Ontario, Canada
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Doncaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE3NLP
I bought an eight man tent about 15 to 17 years ago. Fiberglass poles and stakes, and it's up in 10 to 15 minute.

I don't use the fly that came with it. I use a light 20 X 30 tarp. This lets me have outside covered storage on both sides, and a cover over the doors on the front. There is lots of room to stand or sit around a table inside.

We also have a converted trailer, we use if we just need a sleeping platform.

Because we camp in bear country, we always use a dining shelter for cooking and eating that sits away from where we sleep.

Setup and tear down is 30 to 40 minutes with both tent and shelter. Trailer and shelter is only 20 to 30 minutes.

Attachments

Reactions: Graeman

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I am a bit of a tent snob and junky. I own 3 four season, 3 three season and 1 crappy tent. I have owned plenty tents over time. I can’t stand up in any of them it’s not important to me. Things that I look for is Easton or DAC aluminum polls. The fiber glass will break and/or bend in the wind and set ups. A polyester fly doesn’t breakdown because of UV light like nylon will.
I have one tent that is used in high wind and sand areas, it doesn’t have any netting that isn’t backed by a window or door. The blow sand doesn’t get inside like those that netting under fly style does.
Dome tents are great, the 3 polls are much stronger than most 2 poll tents, the exception is some super light expedition expensive tent.
There are some nice house style from Cabela’s and Big Agnes are very nice.
I have camped with the springbar style and are very nice and very wind proof.
The reason I love something is the reason you hate it. What works for me may not work for you.

NCGRIZ

Rank I

Contributor II

Raleigh, NC, USA
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Gregory
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO4MVN
I would prefer a spring bar style tent they take about 10 to 15 mins to set up but are smaller packed and super strong.
Kodiak, White Duck, Springbar all come to mind. Eureka also makes some very strong big style tents.
We love our Kodiak Canvas....well worth it.

Attachments

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

The T4 plus takes 90 seconds to deploy and 5 minutes to pack back up... again size packed is the only issue...
I have a Eureka Tent that’s about 20 years old... I have hated that tent from day one...
Which one, Mike?

I have a Eureka Grand Manan that I love, though rarely use it anymore, having my trailer, van, and RTT. I don't think I'll ever sell it.

I got so I could set it up quickly by myself, and made some quicky scissor-lock type platforms for sleeping on when I took the fam glamping.

It's one rock-steady tent; when I had it set up for these images below, rain fly and all, we endured one hellacious wind and thunderstorm. Tents all around us were getting destroyed, soaked, abandoned, etc. Folks were sleeping in their cars 'cause their tents were a mess.

I'd put down a footprint tarp and dug diversion ditches when I saw the forecast, and we stayed finest kind; dry, protected, and warm. It's a favorite memory for my kid and her kid.

I really like the way the rain fly creates vestibules front and back. We kept our muddy stuff in the front one and firewood in the back one and all stayed nice and dry and out of the weather.

It also has some cleverly-designed venting for great air flow, even with the rain fly on. I like leaving the rain fly on even on dry days, as it creates that extra layer between tent and fly that keeps the tent cooler inside, with the venting system it has.

IMG_3860.jpg

gm-9-flydown.jpg
Eureka Grand Manan 9

eureka-glamping-05-900.png
Plenty tall enough to stand up in and plenty roomy enough to have table and chair.

eureka-glamping-01-900.png

I'm not sure they're being made anymore, so I plan on keeping mine as backup or for when I have company.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
@Road I have the T4 Plus.. But I had @Corrie order it for me.
Gazelle T4 Plus Extra Large 4 to 8 Person Portable Pop Up Outdoor Shelter Camping Hub Tent with Extended Screened in Sun Room, Orange

Reactions: Road

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

@Road I have the T4 Plus.. But I had @Corrie order it for me.
Gazelle T4 Plus Extra Large 4 to 8 Person Portable Pop Up Outdoor Shelter Camping Hub Tent with Extended Screened in Sun Room, Orange

No, sorry, I saw you have a T4 Gazelle. I meant which Eureka that you've hated since day one. That's what prompted me to write about having such great luck with mine.

Reactions: M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

No, sorry, I saw you have a T4 Gazelle. I meant which Eureka that you've hated since day one. That's what prompted me to write about having such great luck with mine.

Ohh sorry about that @Road, I miss understood you.

It was similar to this Ozark Trail tent
Ozark Trail 12 Person 3 Room L-Shaped Instant Cabin Tent

Reactions: Road

genocache

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Boulder Creek, CA, USA
First Name
gene
Last Name
L
Member #

Like others I've had a variety of tents. I liked my Eureka Timberline the best, 2 person is great for 1. Easy set up very waterproof, but as MMc said it was prone to blow sand in the desert. Then I got older and didn't want to be crawling in and out of a tent, so I got a RTT, hated the set up and take down. Then I bought a OZ Tent RV-3. Love it! I can set it up quickly, fits a cot and I can stand up in it. There are 2 drawbacks, weight and folded size. I am still young(70) and strong enough to put it up on my rack though.

A ? for the OP; If you sleep in your jeep why a tent and not just an awning? Seems like that might be an answer.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Like others I've had a variety of tents. I liked my Eureka Timberline the best, 2 person is great for 1. Easy set up very waterproof, but as MMc said it was prone to blow sand in the desert. Then I got older and didn't want to be crawling in and out of a tent, so I got a RTT, hated the set up and take down. Then I bought a OZ Tent RV-3. Love it! I can set it up quickly, fits a cot and I can stand up in it. There are 2 drawbacks, weight and folded size. I am still young(70) and strong enough to put it up on my rack though.

A ? for the OP; If you sleep in your jeep why a tent and not just an awning? Seems like that might be an answer.
I enjoy the 4 person timberline packer style, all the screens are covered with nylon doors. Easy up and down, if there is a very strong wind it streaked down using a rope to the tent poles about 3/4 the way up. I have spent so much time it mountain tents standing up in a tent isn’t important anymore.

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Ok so I sleep in my Jeep. So I’m not looking for somewhere to sleep but when I’m out in the middle of nowhere I’m thinking I kinda want a place that I can setup quick and easy and have an instant house basically. I gotta be able to stand up in there snd I’d like to be able to set up a table inside too so I can have a table and stuff. Any suggestions? Gazelle tent was first thing that came to mind. But the bigger the better. For ismjake fans I was thinking something like JABA aka the clam tent. Thought I’d ask though and see what people thought
For a quick setup, with a large footprint I would lean towards the OZ Tents.

Jeremy M.

Rank IV
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Mascoutah, IL, USA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
McNeil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K2JTM
Service Branch
Army
I love my Eureka Assault 4, its an outfitter grade tent.