Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

Im currently using a Samsung Tab A from 2018 that is my dedicated nav device.
Ill be getting a Garmin Reach soon enough as well.

the tablet is rather slow and ive been thinking about maybe an ipad mini?

any ideas?

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE

any ideas?
Hi Adam,

I used a Samsung Galaxy Tab2 10.1 for several years as navigation device.

But it was getting old and slowly. Because I was very satisfied with the old one (robust, no probs offroad, no probs in cold or heat) I recently ordered a Samsung Active Pro. I've also done a few shorttrips with the new tablet in the rig already:
  • good satellite reception in the vehicle; Here I was not sure when ordered the new one, because I have often heard that this is often not the case with various (newer) tablets and an external antenna would be necessary - not in my case.
  • The device itself is significantly heavier than my old Samsung, time will tell how it works with the holder
  • definitely makes a very robust impression
  • easy to read even in sunlight
  • so far no problem with switching off in the heat - here I had also heard lately that it was a problem with some tablets. Anyway, this was completely unknown to me from my old one - it didn't matter whether 45 + degrees in the car in the sun or "shock-frozen" at minus 30 - no problems, time will tell if this new one is also such robust
  • AND of course it is much faster compared to my aged tablet, zooming and scrolling the map is superfast and makes fun again.
Just my impressions...

Bjoern

OverlandDeparture

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

Hi Adam,

But it was getting old and slowly. Because I was very satisfied with the old one (robust, no probs offroad, no probs in cold or heat) I recently ordered a Samsung Active Pro. I've also done a few shorttrips with the new tablet in the rig already:
  • good satellite reception in the vehicle; Here I was not sure when ordered the new one, because I have often heard that this is often not the case with various (newer) tablets and an external antenna would be necessary - not in my case.
  • The device itself is significantly heavier than my old Samsung, time will tell how it works with the holder
  • so far no problem with switching off in the heat - here I had also heard lately that it was a problem with some tablets. Anyway, this was completely unknown to me from my old one - it didn't matter whether 45 + degrees in the car in the sun or "shock-frozen" at minus 30 - no problems, time will tell if this new one is also such robust
  • AND of course it is much faster compared to my aged tablet, zooming and scrolling the map is superfast and makes fun again.
Just my impressions...

Bjoern
that sounds pretty good actually. i was reading up on them just now and it seems a like a solid tablet for such travels. What kinda mount do you use for yours? i have 2 RAM mounts for the tablet and the cell phone.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
that sounds pretty good actually. i was reading up on them just now and it seems a like a solid tablet for such travels. What kinda mount do you use for yours? i have 2 RAM mounts for the tablet and the cell phone.
Hi,

For the old one I used a RAM Tab Tite. For the new one I have the Cradle which was especially designed for the Active Pro Tablet, the RAM® EZ-Roll'r™ Power & Data Cradle for Samsung Galaxy Tab Active Pro I have it still on my B-size RAM ball, seems ok for now, but I have read that RAM Mount recommends C-Size for this tablet. I have to admit that the tablet is quite heavy. I will see what the time brings and how it works inrough environment.

Bjoern

Reactions: Devildawg2136

LumixLab

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Young Harris, Georgia, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Mauldin
Member #

any ideas?
I switched from a Galaxy tab to an iPad mini for the same reason. I was running an IPad mini 4 with a small Garmin Bluetooth GPS but recently upgraded to a mini 5 (cellular but no contract) so that it could function on it's own. I also have the inReach in case of an emergency. The iPad mini's seem fast especially the 5 with the new processor. I'm happy with this set up and think I'm set for awhile.

OverlandDeparture

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Marana, AZ, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Duarte
Member #

I switched from a Galaxy tab to an iPad mini for the same reason. I was running an IPad mini 4 with a small Garmin Bluetooth GPS but recently upgraded to a mini 5 (cellular but no contract) so that it could function on it's own. I also have the inReach in case of an emergency. The iPad mini's seem fast especially the 5 with the new processor. I'm happy with this set up and think I'm set for awhile.
yea ive heard a lot about the mini 5. ive looked into those. i have an iphone so it could be nice to have em all talk to each other.

Reactions: LumixLab

mmbirtcher

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

St. Louis, MO, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Moore
Member #

I’ve used an iPad Air2 for a few years now. Great for Gaia and backcountry navigation. When I update it will be to a newer iPad.

gvb40

Rank II

Enthusiast III

San Anselmo Ca
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Vonbuchau
iPad 3 ,Gaia , Garmin in reach for GPS. The iPad with cellular capabilities works off cell towers not satellites. Garmin in reach works off the Iridium satellite

Reactions: RoarinRow

wigsajumper

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Maine, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Wiggin
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
iPad 3 ,Gaia , Garmin in reach for GPS. The iPad with cellular capabilities works off cell towers not satellites. Garmin in reach works off the Iridium satellite
iPads with cellular do work off satellites. They do have something called Assisted GPS which means they will use a Cell towers GPS coords help speed up a lock. A cellular connection is not needed to utilize the GPS function of the chipset. I have been using my iPad 2 for years now. Often outside of cellular towers and as long as you have offline map data the GPS works fine.

Reactions: Mr. McPickle

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR

any ideas?
I have a iPad Mini 5 that I only use with my drone. The bezels on the thing are HUGE! Hard to use it as compared to my iPad 11 Pro. Rumors are the iPad Mini 6 will be more like the Pro with no monster bezel. Rumor is also it won't come out until 2021. Rumors.... If it was me I would wait or just buy the larger iPad 11 Pro. I hate the bezels. Just such a waste of potential screenspace.

JL Lou

Rank IV
Investor

Member III

Richland Wa
First Name
Lou
Last Name
Smith
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7ORV
Service Branch
US Navy
Gaia is pretty much the only thing I use my iPad mini 4 for. Except watching videos when I am out of town.

Reactions: Devildawg2136

jimmyjamson

Rank I

Contributor III

Switzerland
First Name
jack
Last Name
austin
Hi Adam,

• AND of course it is much faster compared to my aged Tablets, zooming and scrolling the map is superfast and makes fun again.
Just my impressions...

Bjoern
What is the best tablet to use for navigation that holds charge best, has best internal GPS

Ethan N

Local Expert, East Region USA

Guardian II

Ocean County, NJ, USA
First Name
Ethan
Last Name
Newago
Member #

Service Branch
US Army
I have a Galaxy Tab S7, and in my experience so far it has been perfect for me. About the same charge and accuracy as my phone, they're both on Verizon plans. I typically run Google Maps on my phone on the road, and I'll switch to the tablet off-road so I can see it in satellite view and on a nice big screen. I don't use any apps like OnX or others so I can't review that aspect, but Google Maps works great on the tablet.

Builder III

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Augustine
Last Name
Wheelister
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRVW409
Service Branch
Army
At this point, I would add the Garmin Tread series to consideration. It runs on Android, you can side load most anything you'd want on it and depending on the model has the (potential) benefit of all the other regular offerings, such as InReach, off-road oriented readouts/dials, robust offline maps, dog tracking, backup camera support, wireless switch panel