Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
Hi, sorry if this is a repeat at all but I need direction. I am looking for the best system for over landing mainly with out any other vehicles. Normally I will be on solo/family trips and am not sure what communication I should have for Saftey reasons. Any help would be much appreciated.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
For safety you want something satcom - take a look at the Garmin InReach devices, Spot, BivyStick, etc.
For group comm get what others in your anticipated groups use.
- CB, dying out, still some use on the E Coast I have heard, barely used on W Coast. Had mine running tonight and heard *nothing*
- GMRS, the rising star. Low license fee that covers family members. Respectable power limits and lots of great low cost equipment available
- Ham, where the cool kids play. More stringent testing leads to a lot more opportunity than just having a walkie talkie. If you want to geek out on it look here.

On the W Coast there is not much at all on CB and nearly a 50/50 split between ham and GMRS with GMRS leading. When I go on OB events I use both ham and GMRS depending on what the majority of the group is able to use.

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
Okay cool, I had a CB years ago and in trucking the over the road driver say CB is going dead even for them so that wasn’t really an option. I am really interested inGMRS. If you don’t mind me asking do you have a unit mounted or just a handheld? Or does it even matter?

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Okay cool, I had a CB years ago and in trucking the over the road driver say CB is going dead even for them so that wasn’t really an option. I am really interested inGMRS. If you don’t mind me asking do you have a unit mounted or just a handheld? Or does it even matter?
Where and how you mount your radio is a matter of personal preference. I prefer a mobile (hard mounted) setup over a handheld walk-in talkie like experience because I find it consistently easier to use - easier to grab for while driving and less chance of accidently hitting some button and messing everything up. You will also get greater range with an externally (to vehicle) mounted antenna which lends itself to the hard mounted mobile setup; grabbing a walkie talkie, with the buttons, that has antenna and power wires hanging off it while driving sucks.

A GMRS radio is a great safety item when traveling with others who are also using GMRS. It should not be confused with a ”safety device” when on the trail alone, for that you need something else and satcom is probably the best current option. Again, the in reach devices are a great place to start looking.

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I like this GMRS radio because it is tiny, mobile, comes with what you need including external antenna and it can all be controlled from the mic. I don't have one but am impressed with @reaver's install of his. The radio body is mounted hidden away and the mic connector is routed to the dash. When he wants a radio he plugs the mic into the dash and powers it up.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I like this GMRS radio because it is tiny, mobile, comes with what you need including external antenna and it can all be controlled from the mic. I don't have one but am impressed with @reaver's install of his. The radio body is mounted hidden away and the mic connector is routed to the dash. When he wants a radio he plugs the mic into the dash and powers it up.

Thanks for the mention @Greg Eigsti

I have the mxt275. Great little radio. 15w is enough for about 97% of what you would need. Because all the controls are on the handset, you can hide the base unit anywhere you have room. It also uses a standard ethernet connection, making it easy to install the handset anywhere you want. I'd just recommend getting a shielded ethernet cable to protect against any interference. I now have a cat5 panel mounted jack on my dash that I plug the handset into for trips.

Before this, I ran a baofeng that was programmed with all the gmrs channels, and paired that with an external antenna, and battery eliminator. The setup worked well, but has lower power limitations, and was much more cumbersome to deal with.

I keep it around as a loaner radio, and for monitoring ham frequencies when in larger groups.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Normally I will be on solo/family trips and am not sure what communication I should have for Saftey reasons.
It doesn't matter what you travel with... it can all fail
For safety leave your travel plan with a close freind and check in often.

Last edited:

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
Normally I will be on solo/family trips and am not sure what communication I should have for Saftey reasons.
It doesn't matter what travel with... it can all fail
For safety leave your travel plan with a close freind and check in often.
I do have that covered. I like being as prepared as possible that’s why I’m looking for another communication.

mtn

Rank IV

Influencer II

Washington, USA
First Name
Ole
Last Name
H
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KA7OLE
A Garmin InReach is hard to beat for solo travel. Not only does it give the ability to send and receive text messages from just about anywhere, but it comes with an optional password protected web page that you can share with anyone that you want to know where you are. You can even combine that with manually sending a "all is well" at some point during the day if you want. Think about it this way, any device can fail, but if you enable tracking at least the rescue party can see where they lost you!

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I've got the Garmin InReach as well for emergencies. I only activate the subscription a week or two before I know I am going on a trip, the suspend the subscription when I'm back and have not other trips planned...

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
I've got the Garmin InReach as well for emergencies. I only activate the subscription a week or two before I know I am going on a trip, the suspend the subscription when I'm back and have not other trips planned...
How much does that run you?

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I see and does that message regular cell phones? Or who do you message or SOS?
When you use the SOS it contact a global SOS first responder agency. I believe this coverage is like $25 year. If you want a plan where you get evacuated to the nearest hospital, then it's like an extra $129 year.

When you activate SOS on your inReach, there is a person on the other end who will communicate with you and coordinate with the proper responders in your location. They will stay in communication with you until your situation is resolved. (Note: This benefit is available to anyone using your inReach.)

For messages, yes it text a regular mobile cell phone. You can create fixed text message responses, which do not count towards your total for the month.

For me, I created preset messages that I used directly on the inReach:

Message 1
Starting trip. Also a Yes to a question.

Edit
Message 2
Setting up camp. Also a No to a question.

Edit
Message 3
Just checking in, everything is fine. Remember that messages are not free so maximize a message up to 60 characters.

Then there are quick text responses on your smartphone that you used with your paired phone.

Alrighty
Driving now. No cell service. Using GPS connection.
On the trail now, I'll write later.
I'm checking in, everything is okay.
I'm starting from here.
I'm stopping here.
Having lunch.
I'm on my way.
I'm going to be late.
Just arrived at site.
Yes
No

Ramman

Rank III

Member III

Massachusetts, USA
First Name
Frank
Last Name
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC1PHT
I see and does that message regular cell phones? Or who do you message or SOS?
When you use the SOS it contact a global SOS first responder agency. I believe this coverage is like $25 year. If you want a plan where you get evacuated to the nearest hospital, then it's like an extra $129 year.

When you activate SOS on your inReach, there is a person on the other end who will communicate with you and coordinate with the proper responders in your location. They will stay in communication with you until your situation is resolved. (Note: This benefit is available to anyone using your inReach.)

For messages, yes it text a regular mobile cell phone. You can create fixed text message responses, which do not count towards your total for the month.

For me, I created preset messages that I used directly on the inReach:

Message 1
Starting trip. Also a Yes to a question.

Edit
Message 2
Setting up camp. Also a No to a question.

Edit
Message 3
Just checking in, everything is fine. Remember that messages are not free so maximize a message up to 60 characters.

Then there are quick text responses on your smartphone that you used with your paired phone.

Alrighty
Driving now. No cell service. Using GPS connection.
On the trail now, I'll write later.
I'm checking in, everything is okay.
I'm starting from here.
I'm stopping here.
Having lunch.
I'm on my way.
I'm going to be late.
Just arrived at site.
Yes
No
Thank you my wife and I really think that is going to be something we are going to seriously look into. Several people have said it’s why they are using and being out with a child under 1 and a 4 year old remote always better safe then sorry.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I do have that covered. I like being as prepared as possible that’s why I’m looking for another communication.
I think it would depend on just how far away from civilization you are. Mountainous regions would be the most difficult to maintain good communications. I've lost cell phone contact when I was less that a mile away from a cell tower. I have no answer for you but with family I hear your concern.

Reactions: Ubiety and Ramman

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
Thank you my wife and I really think that is going to be something we are going to seriously look into. Several people have said it’s why they are using and being out with a child under 1 and a 4 year old remote always better safe then sorry.
I hear ya, I have young kids as well, which is why I like to have all the safety gadgets. Another one I use day to day is a Weboost Inreach cell booster. For me it turned one bar to four. It's won't turn no bars into some bars. It only boost what it picks up. I posted about it here - Weboost Reach Cell Phone Signal Booster There are different styles of the Weboost, you pick what's good for your vehicle/application.

Pathfinder I

Pacific Northwest
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Claggett
Service Branch
U. S. Army
I have HAM, GMRS and CB, it's not bery difficult to find yourself in a area with no reception. The Garmin InReach is best safety device available.
Most my trips are 1-3 days, I leave a itinerary with friends, mostly use GMRS if others are in the group.

• Love

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I travel solo in Baja lots, Cell service is spotty at best. I have a pop that worries about me and might need to reach out, He’s 88. I use a inreach and it worked well. We can text to each other.

• Love