Besides purchasing the Magnisum Superchatger how can I increase my 5th GEN 4Runner HP

• HTML tutorial

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

What are some cheaper alternatives to increasing the 5Th GEN 4Runner HP w/o having to purchase the extremely expensive magnisum supercharger? What are the easiest modifications to start working?

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

If its pep you feel that's lacking there is a control mod that you can plug in to increase the engine response. A lot of folks do this cause the 4R seems a bit gutless. Otherwise, you'll need to throw aftermarket parts at it., which is a tactic I try to avoid when my plan is to be alone and remote.

Reactions: PatriotT4R

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

If its pep you feel that's lacking there is a control mod that you can plug in to increase the engine response. A lot of folks do this cause the 4R seems a bit gutless. Otherwise, you'll need to throw aftermarket parts at it., which is a tactic I try to avoid when my plan is to be alone and remote.
I do not currently feel any hesitation however, if I decide to pull a trailer I've heard that the HP now may struggle with pulling uphills and off road. For regular day to day it seems pretty decent not great but good enough for now.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I do not currently feel any hesitation however, if I decide to pull a trailer I've heard that the HP now may struggle with pulling uphills and off road. For regular day to day it seems pretty decent not great but good enough for now.
I could see that. If it's just a smaller off road trailer I think you'll be fine. We pull a loaded down Smittybuilt Scout with a 2017 4R and it has not trouble at all. Can we race a vet from light to light with it? No. But thats not why we bought an off road vehicle. lol

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

There are lots of folks pulling turtlebacks and the like and those are fairly heavy as far as offroad trailers go.

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

There are lots of folks pulling turtlebacks and the like and those are fairly heavy as far as offroad trailers go.
Thanks for the advise Chris I will look at the option you presented and also consider an lighter trailer instead of a decked out all options model. Makes allot of sense I appreciate it brother!!

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

Chris, are there additional options that increase the HP such as a different type exhaust system. I'm kind of on the fence some say it does increase maybe not significantly but a little. Do you have any recommendations for exhaust systems? Does the fuel play apart or different type fuel injectors or plugs? Maybe chips have a play in the performance as well ...not sure.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I don't think you will find gains worth paying for by replacing the exhaust. I could be wrong, I've never done it on any of the vehicles I've owned. What is it exactly you are trying to pull with the 4R. Have you already tried towing this trailer and it didn't work well?

PatriotT4R

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Lillington, NC 27546
Member #

I don't think you will find gains worth paying for by replacing the exhaust. I could be wrong, I've never done it on any of the vehicles I've owned. What is it exactly you are trying to pull with the 4R. Have you already tried towing this trailer and it didn't work well?
Haven't pulled anything yet except a small Horse Trailer a few times but not very long distances I did notice some power reduction. The additional weight to include 2 horse is probably way more than I would pull for an overland trailer. Just trying to look ahead and determine which trailer is the right fit for me if I'm going to attempt the TAT. So I figured addressing horse power would be something I need to figure out.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

The weight and wind resistance from a horse trailer definitely doesn't represent a smaller off road trailer. And really, the noticeable power difference will be on the highway so much more than at slower speeds. I really don't think that you will have any issues with the power if you are towing something small. If you are concerned, head to a meetup in the area and ask to pull someone's trailer to get a feel for it. My Partner over at BackroadVentures lives in Durham, and has the 4runner I mentioned. He pulls an offroad trailer with it sometimes. He could give you better details than I could.
Yo, @Ryan Matthes What are your thoughts on this? Should horsepower be a concern here?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I'm a little late posting on this. Be careful with power adders (turbo, supercharger). They add a good amount of power but, decrease engine life a bunch. You also strain the rest of the drive line and decrease its life too. Programmers used on modern vehicles don't really add much but will normally bring in trans shift points to round off your power curve. Sometimes that's all you need.
When it comes to towing, never look at the max capacity and run near there. Your 4Runner will pull 2000# well if your not in a hurry, more if your careful and keep an eye on stuff. In the shop we would get people with a small truck wanting to tow something heavy. Worn trans, worn diff's were common. Factory superchargers were cool as long as they sold the vehicle after a few years.
I have my small off-road trailer. It's 1700# loaded. I pull it with my 06 TJ, 96 Cruiser and my son's 18 4Runner. Not too fast but I get there. All I added was a large trans cooler and a trans temp gauge. I would love a TRD supercharger but don't want to strain my motor.

Scott

Reactions: Desert Runner

1derer

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Carlsbad, CA, USA
First Name
user
Last Name
name
Member #

You didn't mention if you are running larger tires (likely are) in that case I'd suggest looking into re-gear your f/r axles.

Reactions: DaveInCO

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I would recommend regearing and adjusting your driving style to suit your power level. Power adders are a good way to cook an engine and don't make for good long term dependability. Plus you have all the non-stock parts that go along with them that you'll be hard pressed to find at parts stores. The desire for more power also stresses your driveline beyond what it's built to take and with some larger tires you're looking at blowing CVs and probably a front diff with ease.

Reactions: Desert Runner