Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

This is a pro gun vs anti gun discussion. nobodies mind is getting changed.
Edit:This is like a pro gun vs anti gun, pro life vs anti abortion, RTT vs ground tent, nobody is changing sides. You do you.

Last edited:

Drunk_Dog

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Texas, USA
First Name
Cole
Last Name
Wersterfer
The story has nothing to do with firearms. It has everything to do with hitting your head on the corner of the tent in a pitch black setting with an elevated heart heart... get off your horse and enjoy the story bubba.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

You're in the wrong thread, and if you're referring to the carrying firearms while camping thread, ironically the canuck dude who was all anti AR-15 actually did change his mind.

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I think his point is the RTT vs Ground Tent argument is like the pro-gun vs anti-gun arguments, not too many people are going to change their minds about it. I have a RTT and a Gazelle T-3 ground tent I use a cot in for those times I can't use my RTT. The RTT is far more convenient and much easier to setup and put away than a ground tent, even a popup like the Gazelle. My RTT has my sleeping bag in it, all I need to do when I show up to camp somewhere is take the cover off and open it up and set the ladder, throw my pillow and overnight bag up in it and I'm ready to sleep in about 10 minutes. My ground tent takes at least 30 minutes to setup having to setup the tent and get my cot setup with bedding.

Another advantage is if you show up and it's cold and raining. I did this last year on Mount Cheaha in Alabama and I was able to with my rain jacket on take the cover off my RTT and deploy it very quickly which now gave me an area under that folded out tent that was dry. I have a truck with a Diamondback cover on the bed of it and was able to stand under the tent and cook up some dinner while staying dry. If I would have had to use a ground tent that evening I would had to set it up in the rain and everything I took to it would have been wet and I would not have had a dry area to cook under.

Eventually I want to upgrade to a hard shell RTT and that to me will be the best setup for me. Here in the Southeast and most areas I'll be camping we don't have to worry about 35 below zero. I grew up in Minnesota and haven't even found the need to use a heater camping here in the Southeast!

Last edited:
Reactions: MMc and MOAK

Drunk_Dog

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Texas, USA
First Name
Cole
Last Name
Wersterfer
I think his point is the RTT vs Ground Tent argument is like the pro-gun vs anti-gun arguments, not too many people are going to change their minds about it. I have a RTT and a Gazelle T-3 ground tent I use a cot in for those times I can't use my RTT. The RTT is far more convenient and much easier to setup and put away than a ground tent, even a popup like the Gazelle. My RTT has my sleeping bag in it, all I need to do when I show up to camp somewhere is take the cover off and open it up and set the ladder, throw my pillow and overnight bag up in it and I'm ready to sleep in about 10 minutes. My ground tent takes at least 30 minutes to setup having to setup the tent and get my cot setup with bedding.

Another advantage is if you show up and it's cold and raining. I did this last year on Mount Cheaha in Alabama and I was able to with my rain jacket on take the cover off my RTT and deploy it very quickly which now gave me an area under that folded out tent that was dry. I have a truck with a Diamondback cover on the bed of it and was able to stand under the tent and cook up some dinner while staying dry. If I would have had to use a ground tent that evening I would had to set it up in the rain and everything I took to it would have been wet and I would not have had a dry area to cook under.

Eventually I want to upgrade to a hard shell RTT and that to me will be the best setup for me. Here in the Southeast and most areas I'll be camping we don't have to worry about 35 below zero. I grew in Minnesota and haven't even found the need to use a heater camping here in the Southeast!
Which hard shell are you looking at? I keep tossing around several of them as ideas, I want decent room since my 100 pound dog sleeps up there with me. But then the ones like the iKamper I cant put my kayaks on top of and the roofnest Falcon I can put my kayak ontop but then I can't leave my bedding in the tent.

Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Which hard shell are you looking at? I keep tossing around several of them as ideas, I want decent room since my 100 pound dog sleeps up there with me. But then the ones like the iKamper I cant put my kayaks on top of and the roofnest Falcon I can put my kayak ontop but then I can't leave my bedding in the tent.
I haven't looked at a lot of them yet. I'll most likely take a look at them this October when I go to Expo East. If I'm going to spend that kind of money I want to make sure I get the right one for me. Living here in NW Florida the Expos are the only chance really to get a good look at them, nobody anywhere close to here sells them.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506

Eventually I want to upgrade to a hard shell RTT and that to me will be the best setup for me. Here in the Southeast and most areas I'll be camping we don't have to worry about 35 below zero. I grew in Minnesota and haven't even found the need to use a heater camping here in the Southeast!
Well put, we’ve been in the same situation Iand the RTT is so much easier to deploy in adverse weather. One other thing no one has mentioned, being up off the ground gives me good visuals of our campsite and the surrounding area. The only issue I have with your words? Cold in Alabama? LOL !!

Last edited:
Reactions: Viking1204

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
Well put, we’ve been in the same situation Iand the RTT is so much easier to deploy in adverse weather. One other thing no one has mentioned, being up off the ground gives me good visuals of our campsite and the surrounding area. The only issue I have with your words? Cold in Alabama? LOL !!
I was on Alabama's tallest mountain peak and it was about 34 with a light rain and a good breeze! That's cold for down here LOL! I grew up in SE Minnesota, I'd much rather it be a bit colder and snow. Cold rain sucks!

Reactions: MOAK

Drunk_Dog

Rank II

Enthusiast II

Texas, USA
First Name
Cole
Last Name
Wersterfer
I was on Alabama's tallest mountain peak and it was about 34 with a light rain and a good breeze! That's cold for down here LOL! I grew up in SE Minnesota, I'd much rather it be a bit colder and snow. Cold rain sucks!
Hahaha, I had the same experience in Arkansas in White Rock and I was telling my friends who are from Montana about it and they were just laughing at a Texas guy thinking low 30's was "so cold".
Its funny because that camping trip in particular is what made me buy an RTT. And I have camped in similar weather since then and the RTT with a 270 degree awning and walls is an absolute game changer.

Last edited:

Senior FJ

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Ottawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Quigley
Member #

I don’t think I would camp without one or guards

great picture
Im not a fan of RTTs. I think theyre a waste of money and not particularly practical. Theyre a gimmick for weekend warriors IMO. Way to many short comings. I wouldnt want to use one when i was drunk, sick or injured. I dont like the idea of having to empty my tent of all my gear and closing the tent every time i want to drive anywhere. If you camp anywhere with rain or snow putting your boots or gear on or taking it off to get in is a pain. Then where do you stow it to dry out up there once its off so you dont get everything else wet or dirty in the tent?

The only practical use i see is if you put it on top of a trailer that gets parked at a base camp in a region that has critters on the ground that want to bite or sting you. Sure makes sense. But anything North of 42 degrees I wouldnt run one. Id personally rather have a hot tent on the ground.
I have a James Baroud hard fiberglass shell on order along with the tunnel that leads down to a 270 awning that has walls and windows my main concern was on none travling days but heavy rainy days and i travel with my border collie so therefore the awning and the walled unit which allows me to be inside something that is 100 per cent waterproof which allows me to use my slide out kitchen and to cook and to relax out of the rain . When it comes to pee time i have a meeical urin bottle that i will be using and pee time for my dog is always outside before bedtime there are always pros and cons to everything in life I think the RTT model and set up that i have on order is a winner from the Pro side the for the whole setup the bog Con side is the cost

Reactions: NMBruce

NMBruce

Rank V

Advocate II

Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0NBD
Service Branch
U.S. Air Force
I have a James Baroud hard fiberglass shell on order along with the tunnel that leads down to a 270 awning that has walls and windows my main concern was on none travling days but heavy rainy days and i travel with my border collie so therefore the awning and the walled unit which allows me to be inside something that is 100 per cent waterproof which allows me to use my slide out kitchen and to cook and to relax out of the rain . When it comes to pee time i have a meeical urin bottle that i will be using and pee time for my dog is always outside before bedtime there are always pros and cons to everything in life I think the RTT model and set up that i have on order is a winner from the Pro side the for the whole setup the bog Con side is the cost
When I purchased my TuffStuff Alpha ll, I also got the annex. In the picture the annex is not fully supported, so it sags a little at the farthest part from the tent.
For my trailer I am in the process of building a lift, so the tent can be down when moving and up when I want to use the annex. The lift mock-up in wood, will be out of steel and an actuator to lift, still working it out everything.

Attachments

Senior FJ

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Ottawa, ON, Canada
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Quigley
Member #

Wait till you're in the middle of nowhere, turn off all your camp lights and you hear sticks snap like something/someone is walking around your site so you run around to the truck to grab the pew pew machine and you rack your dome on the corner of the tent and then you have a have new problem... true story... turns out I had a pack of wild boars come through.
LOL

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

Yeah, but you have to pull all your gear out to close it up. You cant stand up in it to change. You cant dry out gear in it or sit down and work on something, or cook a meal. You have to climb in to it with wet gear on. Your dog cant hangout with you when youre in it.

If youre the kind of person that just gets out on the weekends. Only sleeps in it for a night or two. And packs up in the morning and continues on. Sure, makes sense. But if you’re the kinda person that spends two or three weeks in the bush in all kinds of weather. A hot tent is definitely the way to go.
I went with Whiteduck Outdoors right off the bat for my pups, since I travel with oversized rug rats I didn't see the RTT as an option. I'm now thinking about changing it up a bit with the OZTENT RV5. I really like the quick setup compared to setting up the canvas tent.

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Funny enough, since my initial post in this thread, I actually did acquire a new rig, an 06 Dodge Dakota V8, and subsequently an incredible deal on a clamshell RTT came up, and I ended up buying it.

Having lots of experience with ground tents and my cot tent, I have to say, I absolutely love it. It is hands down the most comfortable sleep I've had outdoors, and I have used it on multi day trips in temps ranging from +30c with high winds down to -15c and loved it all the way along. I love how fast it is to set up and take down, and how I can leave my sleep kit inside between camp spots.

It certainly has some drawbacks, but well worth the tradeoff in my opinion.

Attachments

Reactions: freak4life

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
Funny enough, since my initial post in this thread, I actually did acquire a new rig, an 06 Dodge Dakota V8, and subsequently an incredible deal on a clamshell RTT came up, and I ended up buying it.

Having lots of experience with ground tents and my cot tent, I have to say, I absolutely love it. It is hands down the most comfortable sleep I've had outdoors, and I have used it on multi day trips in temps ranging from +30c with high winds down to -15c and loved it all the way along. I love how fast it is to set up and take down, and how I can leave my sleep kit inside between camp spots.

It certainly has some drawbacks, but well worth the tradeoff in my opinion.
I would never get a Dodge, way to many issues, when dark, wet or drunk. :)