Bed rtt rack, mid or full height.

• HTML tutorial

Fifty

Rank I

Traveler I

Norcal
TL;DR:

Did anyone go with a mid height rack for their roof top tent and regret it?
Or
Did anyone go with a full height rack for their roof top tent and regret it?

LONG VERSION:
Ive gone from full size truck with an 8ft bed down to a midsize truck with a 5’2 bed... and I have a hard time remembering that when I’m planning things.

My original idea was to build an in bed rack that held 2 tires, jack, tool/storage box, 50 qt cooler, fire extinguisher, shovel, antenna mount, max trax... and fuel. All on an aluminum slide.

The plan was to run the tires stacked horizontal so I could keep the height down and run a mid height rtt rack, trying to keep the tent as low to the cab height as possible.

(The original original plan was the rtt went on a rack I was going to build on a trailer I’m converting, along with a fridge and everything else, but the wife said she didn’t want to be reliant on the trailer to have the rtt to go camping, little does she remember she filled an 8 ft bed and an 8 ft trailer full of crap when she came camping before)

While in design, I keep thinking of things I want to take along, little bbq, fire wood, stuff. More stuff and cook ware and more stuff. All of which I want to keep in the bed... or on the rack. As I get older, the more crap I want to bring to relax... or have absolutely nothing at all.

I’m quickly running out of space.

I want to keep the rtt on a mid height rack because of weight balance, aero/fuel (it’s at least 2 hours freeway to find dirt) and wear on the tent is less when it’s below cab.

BUT:

If I run a full height rack, and the tent goes high, I can run storage containers in the side of the rack for more secure storage, I can run the max boards on the sides or the fuel cans or both etc etc etc... massively expanding my storage.

And if I’m just doing a 2 or 3 day trip and I don’t have the rtt, I can strap gear to the to of the rack... also increasing my storage.

Did anyone go with a mid height rack for their roof top tent and regret it?
Or
Did anyone go with a full height rack for their roof top tent and regret it?

Reactions: AZAdventurer