Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Hmmm, I find the opposite to be true. Overlanding invigorates my body, spirit & mind. Otherwise my wife & I would not be in a constant state of either overlanding ( which we do part time 10-12 weeks out per year ) or planning our next trips. However, there are times when we are out that we may tire of being on a highway, gravel washboard, or very technical two tracks. When that happens we just switch up for a couple of days, or stumble upon a relaxing campsite and stay there a few days. Stress? Only once in the past 25 years and only because my passenger was an inexperienced nut job. So much so that I found myself yelling at him; twice in order to maintain control of what could have easily become a stressful situation. Flat tires? Wheel bearing failures on trailers? Not really stressful in the least. Then again, my definition of stress may be different than others. To me, stress occurs when one is in a situation that worsens because of a series of bad decisions, or when another humans behavior gets in the way of making good decisions. When we get back from a month long, or two month long tour, sure, I’m happy to be home. However, I’ve never felt burned out. Maybe, because we do, by default, “overland” in moderation.

Tommys

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Round Rock, Texas
First Name
Tommy
Last Name
Sustaita
Member #

Hmmm, I find the opposite to be true. Overlanding invigorates my body, spirit & mind. Otherwise my wife & I would not be in a constant state of either overlanding ( which we do part time 10-12 weeks out per year ) or planning our next trips. However, there are times when we are out that we may tire of being on a highway, gravel washboard, or very technical two tracks. When that happens we just switch up for a couple of days, or stumble upon a relaxing campsite and stay there a few days. Stress? Only once in the past 25 years and only because my passenger was an inexperienced nut job. So much so that I found myself yelling at him; twice in order to maintain control of what could have easily become a stressful situation. Flat tires? Wheel bearing failures on trailers? Not really stressful in the least. Then again, my definition of stress may be different than others. To me, stress occurs when one is in a situation that worsens because of a series of bad decisions, or when another humans behavior gets in the way of making good decisions. When we get back from a month long, or two month long tour, sure, I’m happy to be home. However, I’ve never felt burned out. Maybe, because we do, by default, “overland” in moderation.
Great points, I too get really stressed during an excursion when bad decisions lead to worse senerio.

cookiedough

Rank V

Explorer I

Phx, AZ
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Petersen
Member #

However, ... gravel washboard...
Oh man - this made me laugh - which tells me it is most certainly in the Type 2 fun category! Hole in the Rock Rd amazing destinations, not so amazing washboards.

I agree, being out is a renewing of the spirit. Granted I haven't ever done a month long trip, the longest has been 2 weeks. And yes, it is nice to be home. I guess it is the moderation part, or maybe just consider it camping with motion in between campsites.

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
The thing is, getting old sucks and ones body doesn't bounce back like it used to. All those miles seems to take a toll on my neuro/muscular systems. I have a problems sitting still and staying put for any length of time. Especially when I am in an area I have never been. I want to keep moving and keep seeing everything. I have been known to stop for a few days at places the fishing is good. Still, camping, fishing, exploring, can be hard work. I always sleep good in my RTT and that helps my body recover, along with occasional applications of coffee and a few hundred mg of ibuprofen. But, the last two trips across the country to the Rockies have taken months to get things back close to normal. I have learned a few tricks to make things more comfortable like a memory foam cushion to sit on that can be positioned as needed. A few well placed cushions to support my arms an shoulders. A little stress has actually pushed me to develop my instincts and trust my intuition since I tend to just fly by the seat of my pants often. Months on the road and never had a bad campsite! That has been strangely gratifying to me.

Again, getting old ain't for sissys! I think I can stay in the game a little longer but it's not as easy as it once was. Staying active is good but pacing oneself is more important these days. Getting good sleep is a key as well as not doing stoopid stuff like jumping off that bridge on the Salmon River. Don't do that!

cookiedough

Rank V

Explorer I

Phx, AZ
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Petersen
Member #

Ok, after reading your blog post, I see what you're getting at. My wife, it isn't as restful, she likes being home. Call it personality, enneagram, extrovert/introvert - we are different in that manner.

Reactions: Tommys