Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Curious about what observations have been noted on automatic isolator for multiple battery banks staying charged. What about recovery times?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I go against conventional thinking and use a solenoid for isolation, not a battery management system. I can state all the reasons for and against most systems and this is what I have used for decades with no ill effects. I will say though I don't run lithium's, nor will I ever. The benefit for me does not outweigh the issues. I'm sure people can chime in with their systems. I run a total of four batteries, two AGM in the vehicle and two lead acid in my trailer. Both systems are supplemented with solar. The vehicle's solar is only for keeping the batteries up while its parked and the trailer so it can be a stand alone.

Recovery times are based on the diffrent battery types, wire size/length and charging system. The average AGM/lead acid will draw around 40 amps when its low. This number decreases as it charges. This has to do with the chemical makeup of that type of battery. On my system "IF" all batteries were low, I would need 160 amps just to start charging my batteries. My system is designed for max flow with a 250 amp alternator. If I ran a smaller alternator, I would need some kind of management system to keep my alternator from overheating.

In the back of my head i seem to remember calculating the charge time on my old camper. Three AGM's in the camper and one for the truck. 200 amp alternator. Approximately 16 hours for close to full.

As you can see, there's a bit more that goes into it if you set it up properly. Mine is designed to fit my needs. If your charging lithium's, you need a good management system. If your charging system is not designed for two or more batteries the same may or may not apply to AGM/lead acid.

danwyandt

Rank VII
Investor

Trail Mechanic III

Burnsville, NC, USA
First Name
Daniel
Last Name
Wyandt
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTJ513
Thanks for the input. I've been heading in the same direction I think, except for the solenoid. I am setting this up now...

1648248987355.jpeg

I have a 250 amp Alternator. The Output 1 is for the crank battery, output 2 is for the battery feeding overhead lights, trans cooler fan, radiator fan and winch. I am sending the port 3 to a pair of deep cycle batts in the back of the truck to run compressor, 4k inverter, misc. charging ports, refrigerator and the stereo amps.
So that was what I was asking about these type of auto isolators, vs what you're doing, or management systems. From what I read from Victron, the port 1 gets charged first, then port 2, then finally port 3. After that it's as needed to any ports for maintenance/demand.

-Dan

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
I have run those in the past without issue. The nice thing about using power transistors is no moving parts and that one has three outputs. I'm going to give that a look. I stopped looking at the solid state isolators a long time ago due to the low specs. I haven't seen one with three outputs though at that power rating. It would be nice to separate my two vehicle batteries and my trailer battery.

Reactions: danwyandt