• HTML tutorial

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Schardt
Hi all!

I want to take a short roadtrip through Rothrock and Bald Eagle with my wife and Toddler. I'm very familiar with Rothrock due to mountain biking, but I've never driven there and I've never been to Bald Eagle State Forest.

I'll be in a Honda Pilot Trailsport and interested in doing some of the driveable trails. I've looked at the forums and videos. Seems the general consensus is to stay away from Henstep and Sharpback Hollow. Is that accurate? I'm all for having fun, but don't really want to do heavy damage to anything and get stranded with a toddler.

Are there any favorite hikes or sights in Bald Eagle? I'd like to have a few things to break up the drive so my toddler and wife can stretch their legs and enjoy the outdoors.

Thanks!

Reactions: DevilDodge

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
You can search my screen name for all kinds of info about Rothrock and Bald Eagle.

Yes, especially lately, stay away from SharpBack and Henstep. People been driving in circles there getting their "off road experience"

I have routes shared and can easily hook you up with a custom one as well.

Highly recommend getting Purple lizard maps for both forests.

I used to live Bald Eagle but it has a different feel lately.

There are plenty of wonderful vistas in both forests.

The drivable trails, minus the two mentioned, should cause you minimal issues.

After you read some of my threads...come back with more specific questions and I will gladly answer.

So much to see and do in both. They both have some great campsites also

Contributor I

Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
Evan
Last Name
Schardt
Thank you very much, Devil Dodge. I stumbled upon your previous post about the Fall Foliage where you linked two different routes (one for each forest). I think we may drive those exactly as you suggested. Are there any things you would change 3 years later?

Also, care to expand on how the forest has a different feel? Sounds eerie and ominous!

The times listed indicate about 2.5 hours for the routes. Is it safe to assume that was the time you spent on the route personally?

DevilDodge

Rank IV

Advocate I

Altoona, Pennsylvania, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Spencer
Not sure what context I said about the forest.

Yes. 2.5 hours is a minimum. It is going to be longer than that.

Those two routes should be exactly the same now as then.

A few of my routes do have changes as they completely changed Rt 322. But I explain that in one of my threads.

Depending on how much time you spend at vistas, and your driving style it could take all day.

Both routes hit the high points of both forests...but, there are so many ways you can branch off

Reactions: pilottrailsport