Badges to Trail Guardian

• HTML tutorial

theBROFESSOR

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Conway, Arkansas
Member #

With all the emphasis that we hope to put on the Trail Guardian program, I feel like there should be badges on this site awarded to those who have participated in keeping our trails clean either on their own on in a group.

Just looked through and realized there are no awards/badges on this site for this. It would be easy for someone to go out and make a difference cleaning up a road/trail and make a post with pics, telling about their experience, and then it could be verified.

Just like the coins, badges/Awards etc. will encourage people to do more and get involved.

Just a thought. Thank you for allowing input.

BROfessor

Kyle & Kari Frink

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder II

San Diego, California
Member #

I totally concur and think this is awesome besides the fact that I honestly feel there shouldn't be an "initiative" to do what is first the right answer, and secondly what should be a good common practice but yes I see the value in giving people something to work towards to take action to do what is right. My only real question is the verification process, how would it get verified besides photos? @Michael Is it simply a staff member validating the photo/story or will there need to be a sort of two person integrity system where another member goes with you. Really it should be your word is good enough but with people these days that is becoming less and less of a reliable source so it pains me to say this but as they say these days "photo or it didn't happen" lol.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

With all the emphasis that we hope to put on the Trail Guardian program, I feel like there should be badges on this site awarded to those who have participated in keeping our trails clean either on their own on in a group.

Just looked through and realized there are no awards/badges on this site for this. It would be easy for someone to go out and make a difference cleaning up a road/trail and make a post with pics, telling about their experience, and then it could be verified.

Just like the coins, badges/Awards etc. will encourage people to do more and get involved.

BROfessor
Great idea....agreed. Like those Trail guardian stickers for the rig also. Need a pair of those for The Black Pearl. M AND I do clean up on every outing and adventure. Resized952018062195154102956785.jpg My frowny face for trashy people. Would be happy to return to sender.

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

I have packed out probably a couple tons of other peoples trail trash over the years. When I was involved with RTF we would literally have to heli lift our sacks of garbage out after the Jamborees. It was heart breaking. I always keep trash bags in my rig and literally stop while driving, collect while hiking etc other peoples junk. We have to respect our trails, forests and our planet.

I would really like to know the process for becoming a Trail Guardian.

Hank Outdoors

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Robertson County, Tennessee, United States
First Name
Sean Hank
Last Name
Haney
Member #

Are there any events that go and clean/restore trails as a group?
Yes there are! They are part of the Trail Guardian program. These can be hosted/created by members and non-members. To create a Trail Guardian event go to the Rally Point tab, select Create Rally Point then select Create Trail Cleanup Event. Fill out the rest and you are on your way to spreading the Leave No Trace and Tread Lightly mindset.

Ask around your regional forum and keep an eye on the events calendar to see if any are scheduled in you area.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

BROfessor
I had close to this same idea but with an Overland Bound official sticker. Upon submitting a well documented and approved cleanup with a group of OB members on the forum, they will be awarded a forum badge and a sticker for their personal rig. This would also encourage others driving around to link up with Overland Bound and become involved with trail maintenance.

Michael

Rank IX
Staff member
Founder 500

Benefactor

Livermore, California, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Murguia
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YSL
I really like these ideas and will discuss further with the team in terms of program management (someone to track, send stickers, badges, etc.)

Keeping the conversation going and growing about proper land use is essential.

Reactions: Cpol and Chadlyb